1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dexter Fowler traded to Cubs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jan 19, 2015.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Or we can just hope he is who he is. A guy that is going to go on tears and a guy who is going to slump. For a full season, he tends to work out to be a decent player. 2013 was bad because he played defense too much.

#101 Joe Joe, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Major

Major Member

Sure - and that wouldn't be bad. But that's not part of what I would contributes to a "stacked" lineup. If we're talking about this lineup being awesome, I think most people are thinking of the good-Carter, rather than the average-Carter.

3. Nick

Nick Member

Guys like that are hard to maintain on a team that's trying to win consistently simply due to their unpredictability.

I feel there's a lot of variance in how good or bad this team can be next year (and going forward) with these types of players.... along with Altuve who was consistently excellent all year (at a pace that may be hard to replicate).

This is still very much an experimental lineup that may bust considerably.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Essentially how I feel too. The Astros have many players in their line up with a limited track record (Springer/Marisnick/Singleton), inconsistent (Carter/Castro) or serious issues putting the ball in play. Even Valbuena is a guy in Chicago they concluded is a 400 at bat guy, not a full time starter.

I wonder if the Astros have so many guys that can play multiple spots because the front office knows that many of these guys will likely crash and burn.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is hard to win consistently with guys like that, but it is easy to win inconsistently over a full season as much as equally talented teams with less all or nothing type guys win consistently.

By guys like that, I assume you are including Gattis, Singleton (though he hasn't proven the all part of all or nothing), and Springer.

While there is a decent chance this lineup can bust considerably...there is the opposite chance that they boom considerably.

6. Nick

Nick Member

Like I said, a very high variance... its no shock that this team's offense (and ability to win games) went south in a hurry when Fowler went down with his annual 1-2 month injury.

Hopefully they'll be able to get some consistency from Altuve, Lowrie... and maybe Castro (before last year's struggles, was somewhat consistently consistent). Springer has been an inconsistently consistent high-level performer his entire baseball-playing career... you can win with guys like that (and its not like he'll ever really sit when healthy). Gattis/Carter are most definitely more boom/bust, and will be in/out of the lineup if they're slumping. Marrisnick still unproven and will also get some platooning with Grossman/Pressley still getting playing time.

Also, until Singleton shows the "boom", he's going to have to play his way out of the "bust"... I don't see him having a very long leash to start the season (if he even makes it out of camp on the big league roster at all). Will really have to show more work ethic and perhaps some tough love.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Luhnow specifically said they now have options at other positions when those players aren't producing. It seemed clear he was talking Dominguez and Singleton in particular.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with Singleton is he has a history of outside issues (outside talent I mean) effecting his on field performance (drugs, laziness, etc). So it is hard to know if the degree to which he looked overmatched last season is just because he's facing big league pitching, simply not talented enough to succeed on the big league level or because he just wasn't really trying hard enough or was distracted (drugs, partying, etc). The tough love I feel is absolutely warranted if it is the latter, but if Singleton is just still adjusting to the level of competition he faces day to day then a benching may be counter productive. I guess that's why the coaches get paid the big bucks. They have to make that determination because there's no good way for the fans to know, really. I'm hoping he takes a big step up this season.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There were worries that Springer would have trouble with contact and be boom or bust in the minors. His MLB career started horribly, then was simply amazing, and followed by another absolutely horrible period. Springer has not proven he can be anything but boom or bust at the MLB level. So far he's Chris Carter with speed, a better eye, and defense. That isn't a bad thing...just the way he is...probably be a 3-5 WAR player for the next 6 years or so with solid health.

I hope he improves more than normal, but it is tough to make consistent contact against MLB pitching when he couldn't do it in the minors.

10. Nick

Nick Member

But he's still likely playing everyday regardless... same can't be said for Carter/Gattis/Marisnick/Grossman/Pressley if they're slumping.

Even if Springer never-ever improves (unlikely), in just a little under a half season he's already shown that he's got a good chance to hit 40+ HR's, walk a good amount/get on base, and play above average defense...even with boom/bust tendencies, he's going to be an everyday player.

#110 Nick, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  11. vince

vince Member

Correa, Appel, Moran, Velazquez, etc. need a real team to come into and get integrated.

Lunhow is trying to build a team. It appears that the Astros have made a judgment call on which players they are going to go with. They moved Folty, Cosart, Tropeano, Ruiz, Thurman, Perez because the Astros are making the real choices in player development. But the Astros who knew these guys the best made the call and decided to part with them.

With the traded minor league players, the Astros got some solid big league talent (Gattis, Conger, Valbuena, Straily). Not be confused with all-star quality or even close. But legit major league guys.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

Straily optioned to minor league camp.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And Valbuena has posted an 1.166 OPS this spring and is penciled in to start at 3rd.

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

Lol..I wasn't commenting on the trade. I just posted the news when I saw it.

I'm pumped about Valbuena.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Oh, I'm drinking the Luhnow Kool-Aid in a big way so I come ready for a fight LOL

16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm surprised by this move this early, especially with Oberholtzer being hurt. I guess Fausto is locking up the #5 spot?

17. The Beard

The Beard Member

Hope it's Wojo

18. Nick

Nick Member

Fausto in the drivers seat... also, I think the Astros have to release him if he doesn't get the spot.

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

He can opt out 5 days before opening day if not on the roster.

20. Airdough

Airdough Member

I think they want to make sure Straily gets the innings he needs. He's likely the first person called up in the event of injury or poor performance.

Hoping for Wojo to take that spot and run with it.