1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Calvin Murphy!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nabil474, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

Bull is fine.

1 person likes this.
  2. today

today Contributing Member

I was hoping to hear the "popcorn" phrase, and got to hear it twice tonight. Thanks Calvin!

3. today

today Contributing Member

Great idea! I'm ready to sign the petition...

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I never watch a game twice, but I will this one. Murphy was AMAZING. He had me laughing the whole night. Too bad nobody baked the man some cookies,

PLEASE BRING BACK CALVIN.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I have been very negative about our broadcast team. Clyde is just terrible, Bill is to much of a homer and a whiner for my taste, and Bull is ok but not really entertaining.

I really liked Murphy. He has this great energy. He even made Bull much more bearable.

I would love fot Murphy to come back.

6. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

I have a feeling it will never happen because of the past and Leslie not having the balls to fire Drexler. Bullard would be fine on the road and or alongside Calvin. How Drexler even wants to stay is beyond me..

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont hate in any way the current group. but i truly will say from the bottom of my heart that murphy is a better commentator.

this isnt just because i miss the 90's or something. but i enjoy listening to him more.

my opinion.

he really is better. sigh

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Bull is actually good, but Murphy is legendary. It simply comes down to the fact that they'll never fire Clyde. Simple as that. Bull and Calvin would be great.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bull is way too much of a homer which has caused bill to be too homeristic. That is why I liked clyde he seemed to be somewhat objective.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I don't want to throw Clyde/Bull under the bus, BUT let's face it there is no comparison who the fans love most! It's Calvin Murphy by a looooong shot! He has an infectious energy that everybody gets a jolt from! He's not only entertaining but he's also insightful and straight to the point in everything that's going on during the game! DO YOU SEE BILL WORRELL? Even he get's energy from Calvin and starts exploring outside the box! If you watched the interaction between Calvin/Bill, it was as if you were watching synchronized broadcasting! They knew exactly what to throw at one another and were enjoying every minute of it!

Calvin/Bill = Priceless!!!

GO ROCKETS!!!

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Much more exciting listening to Murph. He and Bill are thee best. Wish we could bring back Gene and Jim also.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Chick, the Vin Scully, of the balletic sport! Chick was wonderful.

Calvin paid his penance, now free the man!!!

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I enjoy all the guys, always have (consistent viewer since HSE in 1983), I think screaming fire anybody is stupid talk. Murph was taken off the air over some pretty serious legal allegations, but he is a great entertainer, and knows hoops. Has anybody ever been a commentator/coach like a player/coach?

"I'm going to put in Brewer for Beverly now and make sure we get back on transition defense".... that would be great.

I do think you younger guys would get bored with stories of old players you've probably never heard of over 80 games.

14. markg

markg Member

I wish I were able to watch the game last night.
    From the highlights I can hear Calvin doing his thing. Brings back good memories.

15. hakeemthagreat

Calvin quotable

Bill says something slick to Calvin, Calvin says "yea that's what my ex wife said". Lol.

Bill "you look good in your black on black". Calvin " you mean black on black born black" lmaooo

These 2 are like brothers from different mothers. This was by FAR my favorite Rockets broadcast

16. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Let's start a petition

17. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I can understand why in theory someone might not like Calvin - he kind of takes over the broadcast and can be overwhelming as a personality.

But I probably smiled and laughed more at the commentary last night than I did in all his replacements' years combined. That's incredible.

He unlocks Bill Worrell's full range. Bill seemed happier, smarter, and funnier in his presence.

One of the great things about the organization is how Les has embraced guys like Bull and Clyde as continued parts of the franchise. It would suck for them to get their responsibilities cut back to halftime guys or part timers, and that's why it probably won't happen and maybe why it shouldn't. But in terms of pure broadcast value, bringing Murph back ought to be an incredibly easy choice.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Reminded me of the old days and I love it. Had a constant grin on my face. There two are just perfect together.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It was incredible to have Calvin in the booth again. Les should bring him back permanently IMMEDIATELY!
    Calvin and Bill all the way!

20. Houston288South

Can someone start the petition? Let's get this thing moving forward!