1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Pablo Prigioni?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's played for Bayern Munich this season, which I follow. Really out of shape and not putting up good numbers like he used to the years before. Don't think he'll be of any use this season, guy needs to hit the gym hard in the off-season.

2. DenisM

DenisM Member

I don't think he can play with Harden. Maybe come from the bench. He played for our national team few years and his primary role was and will be scoring. Also, I think that he regressed from few years ago when he played for Partizan and Siena.

3. basketballholic

Yeah, he seemed heavier and slower. Look, we're grasping at straws. I'd have said Malcolm Delaney or Ricky Hickman but they're under contract. Bobby Brown???? Can he be bought out?

He's regressed and on the downside of his career. But if he gets healthy he can play off the ball next to Harden just fine. And he can play behind Harden as well. After all, we're talking about a BACKUP point guard. Regression? What do you think Pablo has been doing for the last 4 years?

And do you realize we paid the same price for Prigioni that we paid for Brewer, 2 second rounders???

#23 basketballholic, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

2 2nd rounders and shved who's turned into a fantasy pick up for someone who wont be i the rotation...

5. dron

dron Member

I heard from multiple sources that coach Mchale preparing a surprise for all clutchfans, he is going to put Prigioni in the starting lineup instead of the worst Rockets player of all time - Dmo. Using analytical data we can easily predict that this move is going to win us a lot of games! Because according to some rockets fans, even point guards easily outrebound Dmo.
    I also heard they wanted to trade Dmo but no one wanted him. Rockets even tried to trade him for pack of peanuts, even this deal failed. But Prigioni will restore winning culture! Go Rockets!

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

geez, a MOF ... go back to the DMo thread

7. dron

dron Member

ahaha you must be one of those Dmo defenders. Please GTFO. We all know how bad Dmo is, you must be blind if u dont see it.
    Lately i have been discussing with few friends and we decided that even muggsy bogues would outrebound Dmo 2:29. Dmo should be fired long time ago.

8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Wouldnt that be a dmoof?

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He is there for when McHale has to make an adjustment for game 3 of the playoffs when the adjustment should have been made after game 1.

McHale's "adjustments that should have been made a lot earlier".

1 person likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

there is no point, only stand and shoot three

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Priogoni's contract is largely non-guaranteed, could be useful as a trade filler.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

Saved les money we were almost at the tax line with shevds contract.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He was brought here so that you could make this thread.

14. alethios

alethios Member

What is even the point of this thread?

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

what is even the point of wasting two 2nd rounders for some old geezer that will rot on the bench? to avoid a small luxary tax?

16. PeppermintCandy

It looks to me like McHale's tightened up the rotation to the eight or nine players who will be playing in the postseason. It might be sink or swim time from here on out. Figure out how to play with each other and win, or go home.

And aside from the return of Howard, we may not see a lot of experimentation or new combinations.

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to talk about stats then you need to look at the most important one. HIS AGE! The man is 38 years old. He is playing a position that relies alot on quickness and you can clearly see that he no longer has that. He can't defend the younger pg's in the league and if he tries too hard he will injure himself before playoffs. The man is not Deke and Terry. Even Terry has very limited minutes. Stop putting this on Mchale. If Morey had gotten us someone that was 30 or younger with the same skill set Mchale would be playing him. Mchale is working with what he has. Prigioni has no business playing more than 10 minutes a game unless someone plans on giving him an oxygen tank everytime he sits.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This where alot to many question Les's ability to own a team. Why play for a billionaire who won't go over the tax to keep you surrounded by the best possible talent? Next year will be the true test for Les and Morey. Brewer and Josh Smith better be paid to stay as Rockets.

19. Houston79Astro

Yes lets whine about 2 2nd round picks that are garbage picks. :rolleyes:

20. basketballholic

You need those picks to grease the skids for other trades, 3-way deals, etc. They are assets.

Prigioni does have skills. I like him frankly. And I think he should be playing point when Harden sits. But if McHale isn't going to roll with him I don't understand why we gave up the picks for him.

And we weren't in the luxury tax. Didn't have to trade for him to avoid the tax.

The way it appears to me: We traded for a guy that won't play unless one of the top 8 or 9 players goes down, which means we aren't very likely to win anything if he is given minutes. His only other value seems to be the fact that his salary is largely non-guaranteed for next season, which means he can be combined with Kostas' non-guaranteed salary and gives us $6.5 million of salary to add in to a trade for trade flexibility. And we traded away the best spot-up shooter on the team (Canaan) for "future potential".

All of those reasons I listed are about NEXT YEAR. Sure looks like Morey punted on this season. If so.....does that mean he thinks we are overwhelming favorites to win it all without any additional pieces....or does he know that we can't win it all because either Dwight isn't going to be back strong or even with Dwight we aren't even close?

EDIT: Prigs can shoot the 3. He's above 40% for his career. It's a matter of McHale seeing the need for him (which should be obvious) and playing him.

#40 basketballholic, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.