1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

My point is when Dwight comes back nobody will be worrying about our 11th man. Playoffs or regular season

2. xiki

xiki Member

It goes to Hakeem and KMc, CD as well, and their ability to develop bigs. If JaVale signs up for that I'm all in.

3. knucklehead3321

And if he doesn't come back 100%, gets hurt, foul trouble, sick, suspended? In the playoffs 1 game could change a whole series. Mcghee would simply just be an insurance policy, and who knows he might be our backup center next season. I'd rather gamble on mcghee than dorsey. Do you really think dorsey will be back next year? There is a slight chance mcghee could be. I guess we can just agree to disagree. If only we'd kept tarik black, and waived dorsey...noone would give a hoot about mcghee myself included.

1 person likes this.
  4. MattM

MattM Member

Develop?

He's been in the league since 2008. He's already developed. He's a mediocre overpaid center. Good guy to have on your team at the right price as a backup center at best. We do not need his guy.

5. hakeemthagreat

Not sure your point. So because Dorsey doesn't play we shouldn't upgrade our backup center position? That thinking we'll get our azz eliminated in the 1st round again. I'm telling you now the WC has too many big 7fters to depend on DMo or Dorsey in 15-20 stretches. Both are undersized and struggle against bigger centers. No matter who we match up with, we will face a big frontline. Morey should be on the phone with any & every available bigman right now. Our backup center position will be deciding factor in our playoff success this year

6. Chamillionaire

We are getting absolutely killed on the boards. Tell me McGee wouldn't help. He would at least be neutralizing Lopez.

7. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I agree. McGee could at the very least keep their bigs off the boards. He's a solid rebounder and defender. Moreover, he can protect the rim with his shot-blocking ability. It was frustrating watching their players drive the lanes with no one to stop them.

8. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Member

Come on McGeeeee. You and Dwight can make Shaqtin a fool together!

COME TO HOUSTON.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Don't care, we need him.

We have ONE center on this team. Dorsey is a 3rd string guy, Dwight is hurt.

Dmo is not tough enough to play center and Jones is too small as well as Smith.

So we have ONE center and he's hurt and it has been showing.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not against true 7 footers. Portland absolutely controlled the boards by playing 2, sometimes 3, true centers against us.

Sign McGee, he is an upgrade to both Dorsey and D-Mo at the 5.

11. hakeemthagreat

Yep, you clearly didn't watch last nite's game or pay any attention to the posts in this thread. Our rotation of centers even w/ Dwight is suspect. Moving forward to the post season DMo/Dorsey can't be depended on to play center. It simply can't happen, like EVER. Everybody who watches Rockets games consistently knows what happens when DMo slides over to center (guys like Robin Lopez go crazy). Dwight will eventually need a rest in the playoffs. So we're looking at a 15-20 minute window where the opposing centers will have a complete field day because DMo/Dorsey/Smith aren't big enough. Again, I'm not making this up. Just re-watch the Brooklyn, Clippers, Cleveland & Blazers games

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Javale McGee doesn't get us closer to a championship period. While he is a much better option as a starter at C than our current group, our postseason aspirations are still dependent on Dwight. A rockets team with McGee goes nowhere.

Now against backup C's, D-mo is a much better player. True NBA quality starting centers are rare, that's why they all get paid so damn much. Typically teams play a PF as their backup 5, or a very bad C, D-mo can handle backups at the 5, and his overall game is much more conducive to winning than McGee.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Holy crap, man... just sign somewhere else already. I'm tired of seeing this thread near the top of the GARM every morning with the same comments regurgitated over and over. ****ing grumpy after that loss. Stayed up late. SIGN ALREADY.

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Member

[​IMG]

15. hakeemthagreat

We ALL watched D-Mo get annhilated by the likes of Robin Lopez, Tristan Thompson, DeAndre Jordan. Yet you post this? Eff-it there no hope for you guys:(

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Fun fact:

Javale's BEST season in terms of rebounding percentage is only better than Dorsey's rookie year.

This year is Dorsey's WORST season in terms of rebounding percentage, outside of his rookie season, and it's still better than Mcgees best year.

If you want McGee for rebounding well than I don't know what to say.

If you want McGee to be a bumbling doofus who will block some shots then that's a whole different story. He's great at that.

1 person likes this.
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

LOL at Dorsey trying to box out and/or defend 7-footers like Aldridge and Lopez

18. kjayp

kjayp Member

true, but you can't look at rebounding in a vacuum... what else are they doing to contribute...

by my math, this year Dorsey is avg .324 reb per minute + .210 pts/min
    McGee in 11-12 avg .321 reb per minute + .434 pts/min

career reg season avg
    McGee 19.9 min / 5.5 reb / 8.4 pts = per 36 = 9.9 reb/15.1 pts
    Dorsey 10.8 min/ 3.8 reb / 2.5 pts = per 36 = 12.6 reb / 8.3 pts

so for strictly rebounding, Dorsey has the edge... but McGee nearly doubles Dorsey on scoring... If you ask McGee to play a Rodman role and not worry bout the scoring, I have to believe he could easily surpass Dorsey for rebounding...

and McGee has better shooting %, ft % (both suck), blocks, and slightly lower to %....

The #s tell me McGee would be a definite overall improvement from Dorsey... and the eye test says it is even more of an upgrade (despite McGee's occasional bonehead move...)

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

None of this is news to me. Well aware he is better at other things.

I just have seen lots of complaints about rebounding in this thread. Dorsey is the better rebounder, period.

I have little faith McGee will accept a Rodman role and even less faith that he will avoid his more than just occasional mental lapses.

Do not want him whatsoever.

20. knucklehead3321

How do you guy's feel about mcghee for us next year, as apposed to dorsey? I'm assuming dorsey won't be back and we would and should look for a legit backup center. I think bringinging him now at a smaller role this year might give us more of an edge to retain him for next year. Will there be a better option in FA?