1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That New Orleans pick is starting to look good.... (FINAL: Will be 18th pick)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jan 21, 2015.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is skinny. 186 lbs for a SG.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Duke is hoping Tyus stays. He clearly isn't physically ready for the NBA. If he comes out now he will risk becoming another Tyler Ennis or Shane Larkin. I think both did just as much if not more in their time in college.

3. hmc317

hmc317 Member

When thread was started NO record was 20-21.
    Since then, they have gone 14-8.
    Good job OP, for the jinx!

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe you are correct. I wonder how much stronger can he get though, not by much I think.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

If nbadraft mock scenario actually falls that way, then Rockets should try to move up for Porzingas. He is the stretch 4 that we have always clamored for. Terry Rozier likely drops out of first and we can nab our Eric Bledsoe type PG with 2nd. Really like Tasmananian Devil like wing, Terrance Pettaway. He has Brewer's high energy on both offense and defense. All 3 guys are explosive athletes, have length and also very good 3 point shooters too.

6. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I think we should trade up to around 10-11 and pick up Justise Winslow. In case Brewer leaves in FA we need someone to bring energy.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TJones and DMo - will be RFA?

Rocket River

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Both Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry received in excess of 7 million a season several years back when no one really thought either of them were all-star material. Scola never was and never has been all-star material but he still commanded a salary in excess of 7 million a season. Skilled big men typically get paid well regardless if they are all stars or not.

Ryan Anderson 8.5 mil
    Paul Milsap 8 mil - 2009 prior to ever sniffing an all-star game
    Jeff Green 9.2 mil
    Brandon Bass 6.9 mil
    Taj Gibson 8 mil
    Anderson Varejao 9 mil
    JaVale McGee 11.2 mil
    DeAndre Jordan 10+ mil - 2011 after never averaging more the 7.1pts 8rebs & 1.8 blocks over 3 seasons
    Jordan Hill 9 mil
    Nikola Pekovic 12 mil
    Kendrick Perkins 9.4 mil
    Channing Fry 8.6 mil
    Thaddeus Young 9.4 mil
    Carl Landry 8.5 mil
    Tiago Splitter 9.2 mil
    Marcin Gortat 10.4 mil

Most of those players have never sniffed an all-star game and never will. DeAndre Jordan was not a good player when he got his contract. It took a couple of seasons until after he signed his contract and Doc Rivers before he turned into what he is now. Both DMo and TJ are light years better than what he was. Perkins, Hill, Fry, Green, McGee are all players that are not even in the discussion with DMo or TJ IMO.

If you have size and one of either potential or skill then you will get paid. Both DMo and TJ will have the brinks truck backed up to their front steps once they are past their rookie contracts IMO. Add to the fact that the Salary Cap is taking a huge leap in the year they become free agents and 10 mil will likely be the starting point for both, as long as they maintain their current trajectory.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like one of them will probably be traded before we get to that point
    or
    the new CBA will kick in and we can afford both

Rocket River

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That anyone here could possibly think that a pick at 13 or 14 isn't valuable is baffling to me. We picked Terrence at 18. We picked D-Mo at 20. We picked Chandler Parsons at 38.

Last season, guys like Lavine (13) and Nurkic (16) fell within range of this pick. And Mitch McGary (21) has been productive for the Thunder.

In 2013, Steven Adams (12), Greek Freak (15), Kelly Olynyk (13), Gorgui Dieng (21), Dennis Schroeder (17), Mason Plumlee (22), Shabazz Muhammed (14), and Rudy Gobert (27) were all available or close (Adams was picked at 12).

In 2012, John Henson (14), Mo Harkless (15), Terrence Jones (18), Andrew Nicholson (19) and Jared Sullinger (21) were all on the board at 14.

In 2011 it was, The Morris Twins (13, 14), Kawhi Leonard (15), Nikola Vucevic (16), Iman Shumpert (17), Motiejunas (20), Kenneth Faried (22), Nikola Mirotic (23), Reggie Jackson (24) and Jimmy Butler (30).

If you don't want the chance to add guys like these to our roster on cheap 4 year contracts, I'm not sure what you're smoking but I am sure I don't want any.

#190 Williamson, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    2 people like this.
  11. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

Not really into college hoops, but how strong is this draft class?

12. basketballholic

Morey drafted Canaan in the second round. Gonzo. He drafted Brooks I think around 19 in the first round. Gonzo. Did not want to pay Brooks. Lowry did have and does have plenty of bulk and is a good defensive point. Lowry is not sleight of frame. We wanted him back. Goran is another larger point guard. Not super huge or long but Goran is 6-3 with decently long arms. And he's not a skinny 6-3 either. He's got meat on his bones. We wanted him back. Stevie Francis wasn't a small point guard either.

We're talking about Ty Jones here. He's super small. Probably closer to 5-10 than 6-1. Probably weights around 155. He's a gnat.

My opinion, but based on some things I know Kevin has said, I don't think they want a small pint-sized point. I think they want 6-3 to 6-5 or so and pushing 200 lbs with decent length.

I think they want a bigger point guard that can D up because they value defense at the point position ..... since defense at the point position is such a RARE THING in the NBA. You can count on one hand the number of starting PGs in this league that are plus defenders.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like Tyus Jones game, very crafty but aside from his lack of size also lacks athleticism, he will struggle to translate his game to the pros.

14. crash5179

More values the best available player.... period. If you don't see that then you have not been paying attention.

15. showa13

showa13 Member

Depending on who stays and who leaves it's shaping up to be a pretty deep draft. The consensus is that this draft class(assuming all underclassmen declare) is just a notch below the previous draft depth wise(whist 2016's class looks more like the draft two years ago)

16. basketballholic

Yes, if he is just drafting a player he'll draft BPA.

We're talking about keeping point guards.

17. crash5179

No... we are specifically talking about the New Orleans draft pick.

18. delta69er

delta69er Member

IMO KJ mcdaniels is the plan B for if Brewer leaves

19. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Decent point guards can be picked up pretty easily via free agency/trade. Would not be surprised to see Morey use the pick on a big if all things are equal.

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

KJ is a SF, Brewer and Winslow are SGs.