1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

The team want him to knock down some threes even that's not his game he improved drastically at a respectable %.

Now they need him to guard guys that can jump out of the building with the height of 6'11+.

How many changes do they want from him?

2. dmoneybangbang

Dmo looks tired. He certainly has some big holes in his game (rebounding and playing through contact), but he looks like he has dead legs. He's probably playing more minutes than he thought he ever would this season.

3. baubo

baubo Member

Do Rockets fans give the least amount of accountability to players?

Player succeed? They are the greatest.
    Player fail? McHale/Morey/Fatigue/not getting the touches/playing against so-and-so who's bad matchup is the reason.

Can't we just admit that DMo is not quite as great as he looked earlier in the season simply because he's a young big gradually expanding in his role and some bumps are expected?

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is dmo is getting exposed. Other teams that have a smart coach realize that they just need to get dmo into foul trouble and he's off his game. He has alot of maturing to do before we get the playoffs and he needs to do it fast!

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you think he will play much when Dwight is back?
    Seems more likely he goes to the minutes Dorsey is currently getting.

Hope he takes a LOT out of this season and gets some good playoff moments. If he can take that next step next season it will be great

6. dje243

dje243 Member

The sucky thing about it is that DMO gets a lot of ticky tack fouls called on him when we need him most. I don't really think it's his doing though. He gets called all the time going straight up and down, not to mention the 2 bogus blocking fouls he gets a game when he was clearly in position. DMO and jones work best in unison. Jones is not a guy you can really run your offense through. TJones postups are only slightly less painful to watch than Dwight postups (save for the 1 ridiculous Hakeem move he pulls every other game). DMO, when not gassed, can score the ball at will and even pass out of a double team (which he was starting to see pretty regularly In the post). Jones hasn't learned how to deal with that yet and seems to panic when he gets swarmed (and isn't right under the left side of the basket).

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's being "exposed" as a power forward playing out of position, nothing else.

8. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

Come on now. I like DMo a lot but you can't possibly disregard his flaws or just justify it to him playing center. Power forward or center, he should rebounding better, defending better and shooting better in the line. There are time where he doesn't even jump for rebounds, he just stands there. He's 7 ft tall - even taller than Dwight. I don't know if he's just tired or not but he needs to step up.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disregard his flaws, but I'm not going to overlook the fact that he's playing out of position. Do you really think it's just a coincidence that he started playing poorly when he started playing the 5? Just because someone is 7 foot tall doesn't make them a center, Dirk comes to mind.

10. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

While I agree D-Mo at center is part of the problem, it's not the only problem because he has always lacked great rebounding, boxing out and making simple lay-ups way harder than they have to be.

The starting of D-Mo and Jones was the right thing to do, it was risky, but it paid off as far as Jones is concerned. Now they're in kind of a pickle, because neither will accept a bench role I reckon. Dorsey starting again would maybe help since he does rebound a lot better therefore I would say, Jones should be the one back to the bench.

D-Mo's confidence is alright shot a bit and TJ might understand better as he just got back from injury and it's all about the team. D-Mo alongside Dorsey can make it all about rebounding for Dorsey and D-Mo can be the sort of go-to guy again. The problem then is that Josh Smith alongside Jones both want to block shots and not an ideal couple.

What you guys think?

11. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

I get what you're saying but he needs to step up for the team. He needs to adjust. I know it's not that easy so hopefully he can adjust in the next couple of games. Also, he was never a great rebounder and defender.

12. elainas

elainas Member

Still DMo at 4, with big Dwight or even Dorsey shine as top 20 PF in league. C is just not his position..

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He got launched out of bounds fighting over the ball with a PG.

Definitely needs to add strength and explosiveness. Would like him to make more aggressive moves that could draw fouls.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dude has played more basketball than he ever did at any point in his life. To top it off he's over 7ft tall. He's obviously sore and hurt and playing like so but trying to hide it.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not to mention the is this thing called leverage.

It is why folks in karate can flip much bigger folks.

But yeah easier to think it is a lack of strength I guess.

DD

16. Mr. Clutch

LOL, yes, DMo got thrown out of bounds fighting over the ball with a PG because of leverage. It happens to Dwight all the time.

It's obvious DMo needs to add strength. it's why he's struggling quite a bit playing out of position at C.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Just because you're introduced as a center during pregame doesn't mean the game is significantly different for you. Positional designations in the NBA get more meaningless every year. At the start of the game DMo appeared to be matched up on Monroe, the "PF" for Detroit. Shouldn't that make it easier for him? I mean, that's his "natural position", supposedly. I'm not convinced being listed as "C" is a significant part of his struggles.

18. dron

dron Member

i think Dmo is just tired right now, and by tired i mean overtrained. I have experienced this feeling in my life, and it is really ugly. When you overtrain, you feel tired all the time. And with overtraining, comes depression. You dont have physical nor psychological power anymore. You can read about this on internet.
    I think C position requires you to literally wrestle in the paint all game long. Ant this activity cost a lot of energy, especially if player dont have those "wrestling" fundamentals. When Howard will be back, after week or two Dmo will recover and will be 100 percent ready. He is just a human for god sakes.

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

We need to fly his dad back over here. DMo was doing great when he was playing with his dad in the crowd. Maybe the refs were being a little more generous to DMo then, too. Dunno. Right now, he looks snake-bit as soon as that first foul is called-- takes him right out of the game. He needs to get a little stronger, mentally and physically. We should be patient with him; he's going to continue to develop for the next 5-6 years.

20. Mr. Clutch

I wonder if they've tried using DMo in the high post like Marc Gasol?

He's a good passer, can shoot and drive.