1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No Baltimore QB was as good as Schaub in his prime

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly. And no Balt wr was as good as Andre in his.

It wasn't just the system

#122 Mr. Clutch, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  3. Mr. Clutch

I'm not arguing that he was misued.

I'm saying he had plenty of long receptions, almost always among the top in the game

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Definitely the best player in franchise history. Gonna miss him. All those years when I would pick the Texans in Madden, Andre was a beast. It sucks we were never able to get him a ring.

Hope he is able win one before he retires.

5. Mashing

Mashing Member

Should be the first Texan player in the hall of fame and our first ring of honor player. Thanks for all the memories AJ, best of luck to you.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Ok... And who's arguing he didn't have long receptions? Certainly not me; I'm arguing he didn't have long receptions because he was a speed demon outrunning a defense. He had long receptions, primarily, because Kubiak's system featured a devastating deception that helped to open up large spaces downfield. Again, I'd wager Schaub was among the league leaders in 20+-yard throws, too, and I highly doubt anyone's going to argue it's because he had a huge arm.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

appreciation thread...not making ridiculous arguments for no real reason or purpose thread.

8. Hey Now!

Agreed; all these posters who seem incapable of appreciating that, in his prime, Andre Johnson was throwing down historically great seasons because "no elite QB!!!!" - or whatever other nonsense that pops into their heads - are ruining the thread, gosh darn it!

Seriously, the guy owns three of the 25 highest single-season receiving yardage totals in history; no ther player - not Jerry Rice or Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss - appears that many times. So this "if only..." stuff really kind of does diminish what he accomplished, IMO. His numbers are all-time great.

9. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

if we drafted bridgewater, hes probably still here

10. Hey Now!

I cannot believe this post is nearly two hours old and bobby hasn't responded - do you think he may have passed?....

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's such an asinine and ridiculous comment that I don't feel a need to respond to it. Anyway, I've had my fill of going back and forth with the Alex Smith 2.0 fan club.

12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Kubiak and Schaub's system typically did a great job of getting the ball to AJ and utilizing his talents. Is it just a coincidence he had a huge decline in OB's offense? I doubt it.

As other posters have mentioned, Kubiak's system used deception, i.e. was better at getting Andre open and getting him space to work. This year there was a lot more of just throwing it up to receivers and letting them come down with it then ever before, and as a result Hopkins really emerged. AJ is relatively big and definitely isn't slow, but he isn't a physical freak like some new age receivers, and as a result was somewhat neglected last season

13. Mr. Clutch

I didn't say he was a speed demon but he was a deep threat. I don't see how you can just chalk it up to the system when Baltimore wrs didn't put up those kinds of numbers

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

This is my favorite Dre moment for one reason, it was my daughters first ever Texans game. What a way for her first game to go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wcdUg-DYi2E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First off, tip of the cap to the greatest Texan to-date in team history. AJ80 was an absolute beast for the team, and I was always proud to rock his jersey.

I think this had more to do with Andre being out during training camp and Nuk getting all the reps with Fitz. They built up a rapport and when Dre came back, he was suddenly not the guy the QB would look for to make a play for him.

16. Hey Now!

And I didn't say he wasn't a deep threat, though he wasn't in the same vein as, say, DeSean Jackson or TY Hilton.

Unless we're talking about... Kevin Walter, most WRs are, generally, fast and, by extension, threats to go deep. But the idea that Andre Johnson wasn't utilized more in the Texans' deep game is 100% the fault of the team's QB and/or system ignores that he wasn't a paticularly dangerous deep threat. He was - and I mean this as a sincere complement - an uber-elite possession receiver who did most of his damage 10-15 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Baltimore was, at nearly every position, inferior to prime-Kubiak era Texans. Schaub was a better QB than Flacco; Foster was a significantly bigger threat that Forsett (which made the play-action even better); Johnson was a vastly superior WR to either Smith.

And FYI: Andre didn't put up those types of numbers pre-/post-Kubiak.

17. Mr. Clutch

I don't think were disagreeing. I'm not saying hea desean Jackson. He's not kevin Walter either

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure hey now's having a nervous breakdown. He isn't sure what he's arguing anymore because he is constantly changing the argument.

Is he Bobby's? long lost kin folk?

19. Hey Now!

This isn't terribly difficult, DonkeyMagic: there's an ample amount of preposterous "if only..." going on in this thread that is recasting Andre Johnson as a mismanaged speed freak who has played with nothing but below average QBs who wasted away his prime years - you know, when he was catching 115 balls and totaling 1,500 yards a season.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You didn't post his TDs.... we know why.