1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 4, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Jeremy Maclin over Shady? Or taking a run in for Demarco Murray?

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As much as I like Alonso, Buffalo got a steal.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wait, a couple of questions...

Why does Philly want to get rid of McCoy? He was the best running back 2 years ago, and only had a bad year last year because of the inconsistencies at QB.

Is Alonso better at the LB position than McCoy is, at being a RB? Could Philly have gotten more from someone else?

Disclaimer: I'm a football fan, but I didn't really know who Alonso was. Fail?

4. Remii

Remii Member

I think Kelly will go with Polk and Sproles and probably draft an RB. So they may be making room for Jeremy.

Philly will have a nice set of LB's if Alonso can return to form after his injury.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

If the Colts get Andre and AP, I may cry

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1) Like many teams, the Eagles realized RB's are a dime-a-dozen, especially in Chip Kelly's offense. They got rid of a big salary and can easily plug in a guy to perform not on Shady's level, but still very productively. Shady was being phased out anyway. He was constantly pulled at the goal line and 3rd downs (and as a owner of McCoy in fantasy, it was frustrating LOL).

2) Alonso was an elite LB during his rookie year with Buffalo, then got hurt for all of last season. It's a risk, to a degree, but given his young age and cheap contract, the Eagles came out like winners, IMO. I'd rather have a great LB, especially paired with the already great Michael Kendricks, than a great, but also expensive, Running Back.

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

man i thought the philly deal was to trade up for mariota..

haven't seen much of alonso...

praying to God AP doesn't go to the cowboys or colts

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

As a PHILI fan thanks shady but yeah, I can't justify paying a RB 8 figures in today's nfl. I have 0 idea who kiko is but pairing anyone who isn't just terriable with kendriks should be a positive, although is stamps the papers of our last years 1st round pick LB smith, who can't even get reps in the backup squad.

Now sign graham and marlin for a total of 15mill per and use the remaining 40ish mill on getting maxwell at cb and figuring out whats our QB plan going fwd.

You still have my trust chip

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Shady looked done last year. Not a huge loss for Philly if they can replace him with a young, capable back.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

A rare straight up trade...

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

He didn't look done, for some reason we went for the home run play every down it seemed and would hardly run North-South

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Considering this trade, who could you trade straight for Adrian Peterson?

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Lol sure they did, if this was opposite day.

One team got a very good and young linebacker AND shed tons of cap space especially in a position that has been highly devalued the last few years, in a draft year with several potentially very good young players in that position that can be picked up in the second round or even further down in the mid rounds....while the other team took on a more expensive player at a position they could have filled through the draft.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Now there are 8 former Oregon players in the Eagles roster LOL

it could be 9 with Mariota???

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="es"><p>The Philadelphia Ducks huh. lol</p>&mdash; Patrick Peterson (@RealPeterson21) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealPeterson21/status/572906035121291264">marzo 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Also read(and it makes sense) that Eagles were planning to cut McCoy anyway. They decided to place some calls and see if anyone would make a trade, lo and behold, Rexy and GM Doug Whaley decided to go for the trade and voila.
    They send off a promising young LB (albeit returning from injury) for a player that was probably going to get cut anyway and would probably have had to take a slightly reduced salary upon signing for a new team. Brilliant.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That screams of Rex Ryan trying to make a splash...instead of doing what's best for the team in the long run.

19. Remii

Remii Member

You seem to overlook the fact that Alonso tore his knee the F up and may not be the same and Buffalo's defense did not miss him at all last year. If Rex intends on running the ball and playing defense that's a good move on his part (that is if Shady will accept the trade and play).

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but we know he loves to run the ball and i would imagine he thinks he can plug in another LB and have production, but not so much with plugging in another RB.