1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the purpose of the old testament?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by arno_ed, Feb 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

There is so many crazy stuff in the Old Testament that I always wonder how people can use any of that is written in it.

I will give some examples:
    The story of Job, where god decides to destroy Jobs life and loved one just to make a point to the devil

In genesis where Lot is drugged and raped by his own daughters (after God turned Lot’s wife in salt for not following an order). Well basically everything that happens in Genesis

All the massacres that God does.

I always wondered what people think is the purpose of the Old Testament. And how people see it compared to the new testament. There seems to be a clearly different God in both parts of the Bible. Why is that?

So how should people use the old testament? Should we derive our values from it or should it just be ignored?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

to exemplify the bi-polar tendencies of Yahweh.

3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Brah you use the bible? That ish is whack

Did i do it right:p

Seriously tho the bible is whack

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What's the purpose of disciplining your children?

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

do you take your cues from god and discipline one child by killing his brother/sister to test him and teach him a lesson?

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It terrifies.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

The Old Testament serves its purpose as a warning to how vengeful God can be. He chose to flood the earth and saves more Animals than humans in Genesis.

For order there needs to be respect and respect in the beginning including with your children sometimes needs to be established with discipline.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

An interesting piece of fiction?

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Depends on your faith going in. Are you a christian? A jew? A prospect? Just an atheist with an academic interest?

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Found this on another website.

I left out the part discussing Islam.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you behaved towards your children the way that the psychopathic nutjob that is the old testament god does towards his, you would be relieved of your children and serving a lengthy prison term.

Here's a suggestion - the cobbled together, ex-post transcription of the creation myths of a bunch long-dead illiterate primitive folks probably doesn't serve any purpose in determining how you run your life, other than having historical/cultural value.

12. ipaman

i think that's part of the OPs post, what's the point of the OT as compared to the NT. most abrahamic religions (jews excluded) believe it's the same dude when obviously it really is two different gods. the vengeful judgmental jealous god and the loving selfless forgiving god. it has to be two different gods no way around it.

marcionism interpretation makes more sense than trying to make it the same god. it would make more sense if everyone just admitted that the OT god was the Jews god and NT god was a different god and the god of the Christians. the jews have their OT and related scripture excluding NT, the christians have their NT and ignore the OT. trying to combine them makes it all super silly.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

Big mistake thinking they are not the same God. Jesus was the lamb that allowed us to communicate derectly with him and if not for Jesus and his sacrifices we'd be in the same OT boat. That's the difference. Problem is that Jesus isn't the same to everyone.

#13 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

Put you Fedora away Sam. Taking scripture literally and using any excuse to beat you children is bafoonary. If you want to build straw men do it outside where you can wack at it peacefully with you mall bought katana.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Except that the Christians I know would vehemently object and say the NT makes no sense without the OT. The OT is the setup of original sin that necessitates the crucifixion in the NT. Why have Jesus' death if you don't have the sin of Adam and Eve, Satan, the curse of death, God's law and the sacrifices? Christians who really only care about the beatitudes and the golden rule will be content, but there's more to it than that.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

Typical "everyone gets a trophy" attitude. It's why Osteen owns the Summit today.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah, so if you don't believe in an insane, petty, and insanely petty magical being who slaughters for fun and profit and does other sick things ruling us from his magical hideout, you are pretty much a giant p***y.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It is interesting aspect to view a God that seems Bi-polar. It is just as irritating when anti-religious people do not understand the difference of the OT and NT versus the religious people who still hold on to some of the old beliefs in the OT.

I was raised to believe the Bible is infallible and was the direct inspiration of God. I no longer agree with that belief. While I dont necessarily believe that the OT is folk lore and fairy tales, I dont take it literal. That is what leads to extremism.

There seems to be three distinct eras in the bible; The old Testament, which consists of a vengeful, jealous and wrath filled God. The Jesus era, which teaches peace, love and forgiveness, and the post-Jesus era or Apostles doctrine, that creates an orderly church. Its important to note the Apostles doctrine is an interpretation of what Jesus taught. As we see today with many Christian doctrines, these can vary greatly. Some are much more aligned with Jesus's teachings while others are clearly self serving organizations of men.

All in all, for the sake of the argument of the existence of God, no man understands God or the concept. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. The best we can do is live by our good conscious. Whether its the OT, the NT, Koran, ect.. or self guidance, man should learn to live together peacefully and respect each others beliefs.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

To put the fear of God in you. The bible is the wussified version of it.

20. ipaman

i'm saying acknowledge the OT and it's purpose but admit it's not the same god. NT is a different god or a different version, god 2.0. makes sense to tie it all up as opposed to ignoring that fact and leaving it the same god.