1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cap Flexibility and Asset Collection have to go!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 21, 2015.

1. a711

a711 Member

Superstar all star whatever that's semantics and you know it. It's completely hypocritical and disingenuous

2. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

How long are you willing to wait for another Harden situation now that we already have Harden and Howard? 2 years? Because that is where it looks like we're heading (Durant).

Is everyone hoping Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge get disgruntled enough to leave before the offseason?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if you think all star and superstar are interchangeable then i'm not sure how much nba you follow. jrue holiday was an all star. should we just throw out the semantics and call him superstar too?

morey could have signed a couple of very solid free agents to surround harden and howard with last july but instead chose to reach higher with melo and bosh. it's pretty obvious now that was a bad decision. i'm not sure how much grief he deserves from the fans and media for that. the thing is though, he's essentially made the same decision again now at last week's trade deadline. so if this blows up in his face again then it will pretty hard to defend his gameplan.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Max nailed it, as did Freak.

You are GM, your JOB is to build a winning team, you choose the players, the coach, and call the shots.

Either you win, or someone else can step in and try...

I like Morey and generally think he has done a good job - not a GREAT one, but at a good one.

McHale is his call, and he has stated that coaching is not all that important - tell that to Popovich, or Kerr, or Thibideaux - coaching matters a lot.

The Rockets and fans should hold the organization accountable for it's putrid performance these last 15 years.

Wanna know why the lower bowl sucks, because fans know the truth.

DD

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

preach on brotha'

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

that poster is a troll, ignore him. He's the guy with the "math" thread.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I've read back every post you did in this thread... the only point I could find was, he has had a decade now and nothing to show for it. That post by the way was way back on one of the early pages in this thread. I am sorry, that I didn't read every post and remember, which one was by you.

And to get to your point: he inherited a team with Yao and T-Mac breaking down. He wasn't allowed to tank. He came away with a team that is 3d in the west right now, has close to max cap space and a lottery pick. Of course you know all this already and don't think that's enough. That's fine. I don't want to attack you or discredit your oppinion. And I don't want to use you to make a point. Morey made mistakes, not everything works out. But I think if you'd ask 100 experts about the job he has done, I am pretty sure the vast majority would say, he did an excellent job. Now he hasn't finish the job yet and we are at a time where it is alright to grow impatient - but calling all Morey supporters delusional and disregarding everything positive he's done is a bit harsh.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

err, what is it with the inordinate amount of DM/Mchale supporters here trolling, making personal attacks, leaving anonymous negative rep, etc.

9. a711

a711 Member

I'm not trolling at all.

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

"Putrid"? You can be upset with the Rockets' performance of late (I'd say more the last 15 years was better than the preceding four, though, so you should probably extend that to ~19), but "putrid"? It's pretty difficult to take you seriously when you through out superlative descriptions all willy nilly.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1 playoff series win in forever is worse than putrid.

DD

12. dmoneybangbang

Morey is trying to build a contender for multiple years, not just go all in for one season.

The lower bowl sucks because it's sold to corporations and businesses that don't don't fill the seats or the people are partying in the lounge.

I don't think most franchises (at least non-NYC, LA, Miami, etc) get a shot at two sets of superstars within a decade.

I get that it sounds good on paper and you can thump your chest about winning is everything mantra. However, luck wasn't on our side with the first set of superstars. Luck is a pretty big part of sports that you can't control, only prepare to take advantage of it or prepare to withstand the bad luck.

13. dmoneybangbang

Context is everything. Context always matters.

14. dmoneybangbang

LosPollos is a pretty big chicken little troll, don't worry about him.

15. dmoneybangbang

I don't think he's the best GM, but I wouldn't want to lose him. Otherwise I agree with everything.

16. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I get it, if you don't win there's no point. But generally having two superstars translates to wins. There was a time we were rolling out Landry, Scola, KMart, etc-- wanting any superstar to bat their eyes at us. People tend to lose sight of that.

Now we have two (that didn't just grow on a tree), and we have been a playoff team with them. What more can you ask for? I want a championship, as you do. Obviously we need a healthy DH for that to be possible. If he's not, that's no fault of DM. Any team that has an unhealthy superstar in the post season is always an automatic dog.

There are obvious holes on this team that need filled. Perhaps DM didn't think the asking price to fill those holes weren't worth it. That's on him for sure. I don't think 3 stars are the way to a championship. I personally love the current philosophy, but in order for it to work, you need to assemble a team that are good 3 pt shooters. He has not really done that. Also on him.

That said, I'm just not ready to light my torch and go GM hunting. I remember where we have been, and am generally excited about the direction he has this team headed. I'll take a team with James Harden and Dwight Howard leading it over one that has Goran Dragic and Kevin Martin leading it every time.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

How many teams in the West had more playoff series wins in that time period?

18. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

We won't have even close to max cap space.

19. Remix

Remix Member

Haven't read the whole thread but I somewhat agree now that we actually have a superstar in Harden.

Cap flexibility and asset collection made sense while we were still rebuilding but now that we actually have a player to build around, Morey needs to go all in and not put too much emphasis on planning ahead when we need to capitalize on what the Rockets have now

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It seems like you responded to someone else's post entirely. I already said, I'm not advocating for Morey being fired.

But to suggest that GM's aren't accuntable to the owners they hired them for building a winner is ludicrous. Coaches and GM's get fired with great frequency in pro sports...whether it's "fair" or not.'