1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cap Flexibility and Asset Collection have to go!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah this is closer to my view. Context matters.

It's a bottom line business, context adjusted

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Most of people posting here about "bottom line" have no idea how international businesses are run, they probably also have no stock portfolios or even have an investment manager looking at their passive income sonce they hate facts and figures so much.

In businesses and in investing, you look at the methodology more than the actual results. If I had two investors, one dude is a CFA, grad from MIT busted his ass reading up on tech news and rumors and told me its better to sell Apple stock because all international surveys say Apple is now losing its cool factor, and Dumbass Mcdumbass who is the cranky old neighbor across the street told me to buy Apple stock cuz I6 is coming out with the "revolutionary 6 inch screen" and it is "common sense" then I sell the apple stock like a hot potato.

Sure I lose money when the Iphone comes out and beats all sales projections but in the long run I will be better off with the dude who has a plan and a strategy than the loser who did all the wrong things as a player (didnt play D, was overweight, coasted on his ridiculous talent) and is now acting like he was Tim Duncan his entire career if you hear him talk.

All you really need to know whether analytics is correct or not is look at the league today, if asset collection and cap flexibility is wrong so wrong why are analytics gms growing in number, why are former player gms declining and why are 3 pt shots increasing and mid range shots decreasing? It takes a while but people go with what works, if the entire league is doing it are you smarter than the entire league? Or are you dumber than the entire league?

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The person who started this thread banged the drum for trading James Harden for Kevin Love as recently as 5 months ago. That's all you need to say about this thread.

1 person likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thank you, I've got it on my sig so I'll never remember how ridiculous CH has gotten over the years. His posting quality has gone down faster than McGrady's game after his knee surgery.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Being rational = sipping coolaid?

Duly noted, brolka dot.

That may be true, but that is besides the point of my post...

I wouldn't bet on us at this point, but my point is that we're already in the race. At worst, we're a darkhorse right now. Saleem was saying that if we fixed what are arguably our only two real flaws right now, we would *become* a darkhorse, and that's a little unrealistically pessimistic, especially for a Rockets fan.

This is one of the biggest fallacies that sports fans suffer from. It is completely illogical and a horrible way to judge the shrewdness of management.

You cannot judge a decision by its outcome or you'll suffer from hindsight bias every single time. Everybody thinks that when a good decision goes badly, the decision-maker should have seen the signs the whole time, and when a bad decision goes well, the decision maker was a genius that saw something no one else could see. It's mind-numbingly stupid (and this applies to how we judge CEO's, politicians, etc, too).

Morey has done as good of a job as just about anyone could have reasonably done given the hand he was dealt. He's had some bad luck, and he's made some mistakes, but he's also had a lot go right. Nobody is perfect. He's also had a winning season for each of his years with Houston, and has had a team that was in title contention several of those years if not for injuries.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This pretty much sums it up for me. The only viable option that we would have been happy with is Dragic and he didn't want to resign in hou. Other than that I don't think this trade deadline was a disappointment because there were no other real viable options at PG.

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Agreed

8. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

It's unbelievable how low the expectations are for the Maury fans. They're apologetics and litany of excuses for a lack of results (read post-season success) never end. But, at the same time, they somehow rationalize calling Maury the best gm in the league. None of them will ever stop their hero worship to even consider holding him accountable for poor results, but they want to make sure you know all about anything remotely positive he does. They'll also never give you a timeline of how long they're willing to wait before tangible results are achieved. Their response is always some derivative of "In Maury We Trust." These people aren't rational actors nor are they objective thinkers. Those Vegas odds that were posted in this thread earlier are a much better indication of where the Rockets rank in terms of winning a title, and it's not good.

2 people like this.
  9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

This league is not fair. You have the big city teams that stars want to play for -and you have the rest. We are part of the rest. Now the rest has to get creative and lucky - either through draft picks or circumstance or whatever.

Morey repeatedly got us in a situation where we could act. When Harden got available, we could act. When Bosh got available, we could act. When Howard was available we could act.

There is no reason to post all the moves that he made that got us to being a borderline contender. This forum is full of them. But I understand it, you are frustrated, that we don't take this next step to actually be a real contender.

Several GMs act here. They overpay for a player, or they settle for a player. That might work out sometimes, usually it doesn't. And sometimes it kills your future (like NY or Miami right now). Morey doesn't do that. You can critizice him for that and you don't have to like it. But it is not a stupid move to wait for the right moment.

Wait how much longer you say? Well only 3 and a half years ago we had a completely different team (with not even one of those players still here). We've only got Harden and Howard for the second year now. Morey tried to go all in this season. He tried as hard as hell with Bosh (and got as close as you can get), Carmello, Dragic... it didn't work out. Not because anything was wrong on our part, but because those players didn't want to come here.

And let's not act like Morey didn't do anything. Besides getting Harden and Howard, he also found Beverly (who is at least a great backup PG), he got Ariza at a great value, he got Brewer for practically nothing, he got Smith, he got a lottery pick and a future prospect.

In the playoffs you need to fill 7-8 spots. 7 spots are already filled with players I am very confident with (Beverly, Harden, Ariza, DMo, Howard, Brewer, Smith). Only problem: we are missing that starting PG that can be a playmaker. Other than that, we are set. And we may be set as is, if Harden conserves his form for the playoffs and last playoffs Dwight comes back.

So don't act like Morey didn't do anything or he is being stupid with what he has. Morey is not throwing all his chips on the table for a hand, he is not entirely comfortable with. And I am ok with that.

10. Kwame

Thanks for proving all my points. I couldn't have asked for a better response to illustrate all the points I made.

Also, for those that keep talking about business models, there isn't a business out there that doesn't demand results and accountability. You can claim that the process is correct all you want despite a lack of results, but at some point you have to consider the methodology a failure if success isn't acheieved. Instead, most want to give Maury carte blanche indefinitely.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Actually you made no points. You complained about a lack of results and called other Morey fans delusional. Basically you just stated your opinion without backing it up.

And if results is the only measurement, then about 25 teams need to fire their GM/coach. It is not that easy. Teams and GMs can do a good job and still not even make the playoffs or lose in the first round. Firing a GM won't change anything there.

You fire a GM for mistakes he made - not for doing most of the things right, but the team still can't get the result you hope for.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Unless getting "2 superstars" translates to wins then it's not a significant achievement. Daryl has decided to continue to chase superstars in order to win big, but that doesn't mean it's the right way to go.

13. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

No sir, we have not had a "winning team" expect for the years we won the championship. We've had teams that are over 500, not winning, because to me winning implies championships...of which we only have 2. If you think having 2 rings in 30 years is spoiled, then you're standards aren't that high.

I do agree with you that Morey is doing great and it requires a lot of luck.

14. a711

a711 Member

Aren't you the same person b****ing about how he didn't get Lowry? and now you're b****ing about how he keeps chasing major FA's?

lol you're making a fool of yourself.

I get you're angry about the Rockets not winning a championship today. But learn to direct your anger correctly.

15. Kwame

I made quite a few points in the original point you responded to. You've chosen to ignore them and interpret my post in a way that's convenient for you, which is another hallmark of Maury's fans. Thus far, you're doing everything that I said Maury supporters are guilty of.

16. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

My concern is that I don't see opportunities/players that Morey will be able to acquire next summer that are better than those that were moved at or before this deadline.

Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Paul Millsap will be UFA. But we would have to sign and trade for all of them, which I don't see happening, or give up a core piece (Ariza) and still convince them to sign. Don't see it happening.

All of the good-great FA PGs (i.e. Pat Beverly upgrades) appear to have been moved to places they will re-sign: Rajon Rondo, Goran Dragic, Brandon Knight.

As of today I don't see how standing pat at the deadline, rather than overpaying, makes the team better this year and next year.

Dream scenario: Morey package the NO 1st, NY 2nd, TJones, Nick Johnson, and our 2017 1st (unprotected) to move up and select D'Angelo Russell in the draft.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1) he said morey has been chasing superstars. lowry is not a superstar.
    2) you just made a fool of yourself here -- focus more on reading comprehension
    3) the rockets are not winning a championship today, this year, or any year in which morey's boy mchale is head coach
    4) the tone of your post would indicate you are actually even more angry than TheFreak

1 person likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

that is why you need assets for when a situation comes up like it did with Harden. If you trade everything away, then you are going to be in trouble....................just like the Knicks did

19. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Yeah, and look where it got him. A broken down Wade, an out-for-the-season (and potentially longer) Bosh, and two Dragic's, one of which is currently overpaid (Zoran) and the other is about to be (Goran).

20. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Don't forget the 2 rings and 4 trips to the finals.