1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

All You Need To Know About K.J. McDaniels And Pablo Prigioni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Feb 20, 2015.

1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

K.J. McDaniels has two very significant weakness -- shooting and court vision -- a byproduct of being played primary at the power-forward position growing up. With that being said, there is a lot to like about McDaniels in terms of potential. He fell to 32nd overall in the 2014 draft but has all the makings of a terrific steal, boasting the best combination of wingspan (6'11.25" while measuring only 6'6" in shoes) and athleticism among all small-forwards in the draft not named Andrew Wiggins. He's actually a much better in-game athlete than you would expect from his relatively impressive combine measurements, jumping equally well off two feet or one with lightning quickness leading to an impressive 1.9 blocks per 36 minutes. He's an absolute monster on the fast break, and will also get you points in the half-court off put backs and cuts, but where he really shines is the defensive end as he is already showing flashes of being a shutdown defender at positions 1-3, maybe even capable of playing a little 4 in small-ball line-ups as McHale has been known to do in the past even with the likes of Carlos Delfino, Francisco Garcia, and James Harden. I personally don't expect him to see him getting much playing time anytime soon in Houston as McHale is known for lacking trust in his rookies, but if his vast improvements from his freshmen to junior year in college are any indication, McDaniels is a very hard worker so don't be shy to hold high hopes for him further down the road. Now check out this dunk Daryl Morey tweeted and get excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44gRDP269JU

Pablo Priginioni seems to have developed a bad rep on the defensive end as he doesn't have the quickest feet in the world, he might have trouble staying in front of quick point guards like Russell Westbrook.. but who doesn't? Where Pablo lacks in foot speed he makes up for with a very high bball IQ -- great at stripping the ball especially off inbound passes, makes the right rotations, always seems to be in the right spot, takes charges ect. He's also capable of defending both guard positions which gives McHale a little more flexibility (I for one could do with a little less Jason Terry and Corey Brewer). When it comes to reading and reacting, Pablo has a very quick mind on both ends, and his terrific performances on the big stage in Europe drew him comparisons to Steve Nash, particularly in the areas of leadership and passing ability. Pablo is a pass-first point-guard in ever sense of the word, a master of the pick-and-roll, and while not boasting the flashiest handles in the world I'm quite confident he will show great composure when it comes to taking care of the ball even against full court presses against top playoff-caliber defenses -- something Harden has had trouble with in the past and even recently against the Bucks. I think Pablo is a great off-guard compliment to Harden in many ways, and I think it's safe to say the 37 year old veteran will see playing time under McHale even if he doesn't start. This is a sneaky underrated pick up -- classic Morey -- and all we gave up was Alexey Schved and our 2nd round picks in 2017 and 2019 (both potentially very late picks if not last) while generating a small trade exception in the process. Oh, and did I mention he's a really good 3pt shooter? Despite shooting 37.4% behind the arc this season in 43 games, he did manage a blazing hot 46.4% 3pt last season (66 games) partly thanks to a lot more open looks -- something he should also get in Houston playing off James Harden. For whatever it's worth, Pablo also ranked 14th in RPM among point-guards last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPrv-pshdYI

4 people like this.
  2. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Thanks, but I don't know how these guys will get minutes. we traded two players that were glued to bench in Canaan and Shved and now bringing in two players that can actually play. McHale already has his 8 man rotation and adding these players just makes it even more tough. I feel sorry for K-Pap.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Our annual undersized emaciated raw power forward acquisition.

1 person likes this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

All you need to know about McDaniels.

[youtube]UGSoZBkIZE4[/youtube]

Young high potential guy who has demonstrated tremendous defensive abilities.

As long as the Rockets keep him in FA, it's a win. It's not like the Rockets gave up a contributing asset to acquire him anyways. Of course, if he contributes, that's even better.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Neither is a PF

6. CCM721

CCM721 Member

That was disgusting.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Beverley doesn't need to be playing 31 minutes per game if he A) can't effectively run the offense, B) make open 3's, C) play the level of defense he's been known for, so there are minutes to carve into. We also have the right personnel to mix and match small ball lineups that could free up backcourt minutes at the expense of true center minutes.

Prigioni is a crafty, high IQ distributor who can push the ball on the break and initiate offense in the half court. Neither of Beverley or Terry can do that. Not to mention Prigioni is a dead eye 3 point shooter and a lot more active on defense than any 37 year old has business being. He's not a starter, but he can give you a good 15-20 minutes in a game where Beverley just isn't getting it done, or Harden needs a break from getting the team into their offense.

Perhaps I'm just being optimistic with McDaniels, but I think he gives us an option to at least slow down elite point guards like Westbrook and Lillard who are too athletic for Beverley but too small for guys like Ariza or Brewer to chase around. I also think he'd be better at checking a screen runner like Redick than anyone we currently have on the roster. I don't expect big minutes from him yet, but if he can be that defensive ace in the hole in key situations, I'll be more than happy with the acquisition.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

9. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Here's his draftxpress video for those who'd like to know more about his skill set and strengths/weaknesses:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G5Lr26ORJ_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Yahoo Sports gave use a A grading for the trades.. so we're good right?

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So I'm not claiming to be a KJ guru, but I have done a lot of research since 4pm yesterday, and best I can tell, he's already a much better defender.

Yesterday was disappointing for me, but the best thing to come out of it was KJ. Excited to see what this kid looks like in 2 years. Finding a way to stash KJ and Capella will pay dividends in time. Johnson is NBA ready right now and should get on the floor when Terry leaves . Morey kept the right players and made a good bet on KJ.

time to turn my attention to the draft.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I really like the trades as I do thing kj is a poor man pippen. He might never developed the handles but he might be the best partner in crime for harden with his defense. Heck I'm hoping he take over ariza and brewer minutes.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Needs to keep the blocks inbounds i know he's young but cmon volleyballing it into the crowd isnt the best play there.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

i have watched KJ couple of times this season and i was really impressed with this kid,and said to my self, i wished we drafted him with our second. Not sure if it is a fluke since its the sixers but he has very good potentials IMO.

15. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

This. I'm a big Prigioni fan, but it's KJ McDaniels I'm excited about

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yup was thinking the same thing. Impressive athleticism, but that volleyball spike was a Javale type move. If you got time to rear back and swat it like that, send it to a teammate

17. Zbed

Zbed Member

KJ reminds me of Iguodala

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Bingo.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's Pablo's contract like?

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member