1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Knight is not for sale. MIL is looking for a PG so they can play Knight off the ball, the same reason all of us like him so much with Harden. He's staying in Milwaukee.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Trade-wise, Rox, Bulls, Wiz have interest. Dallas always liked him. Sacramento (Cousins has same agent as Martin). Seeming unlikely though.</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/568223433495957504">February 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. mockster

mockster Member

I'm fine with praying with dmo. T jones abd smith are swell but we need a back up c then.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I don't buy that at all. Middleton has been their saving grace at the 2... top 10 in overall RPM if I am not mistaken.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ken Berger?

7. solodolo

solodolo Member

[​IMG]

8. NotChandlerParsons

Ken Berger suggested it was a possibility. That's the only legit source on that, I think.

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

10. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

There is no way Morey is entertaining a D-Mo plus NO 1st rounder for Dragic right?

11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I really thought something would happen today, for any team in the league. But the night is young...

12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No way

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What sounded legit was that Fegan was pushing for it to happen so he can get KMart to the Mavs.

Nice try Dan, but luckily Flip isn't that stupid. He can DEFINITELY get a trade done for Martin maybe not right now, but at least this Summer he can get an asset for Martin. No reason on earth to waive him other than just to kiss a#$ to Douchebag Dan.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not unless he's experimenting with psychedelics

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" lang="en"><p>Goran Dragic is hot enough about his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Suns?src=hash">#Suns</a> role to ask for a trade but the market may be cool. <a href="http://t.co/VwacI5AeRa">http://t.co/VwacI5AeRa</a> <a href="http://t.co/tzgptvfWi6">pic.twitter.com/tzgptvfWi6</a></p>&mdash; Paul Coro (@paulcoro) <a href="https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/568224275745763328">February 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They had their work cut out for themselves Wednesday. Trading the equivalent of an expiring contract is difficult enough. Finding a good return for a trade-demanding player makes it more difficult.

The Suns are limited because there are few teams, especially playoff contenders, that need a starting point guard in a league loaded with stars or potential stars at that position. The Suns find little interest in what most teams will offer, especially if those teams think they can get no more than a wink-wink, handshake assurance that Dragic would re-sign as a free agent in July. Some might think they could get him in July without sacrificing an asset.

The carrot that helps the Suns is that any team trading for Dragic will get his Bird rights, which allows the team to give him a five-year contract worth up to $108 million.

That is the rub. Dragic would be 33 years old in the final season of a five-year contract. There is a danger of overpaying a player who might have hit his prime last season and does not push the marketing needle for a franchise.

Unless the Suns find a trade partner with salary-cap room, any Dragic trade package would have to adhere to salary-matching rules. If Dragic was alone in a deal, the Suns would need to take back $5 million to $11.25 million in salary because of Dragic's $7.5 million salary for this season. It is hard to find an appealing deal with Dragic's desired teams: the Los Angeles Lakers, New York, Indiana or Miami. Time is fleeting to find a three-team deal.

It is a no-win situation for the Suns. If they do not trade him, the remainder of the season is awkward and he likely walks for no return in July. If they do trade him, they get pennies on the dollar and are a lesser team without one of their top players for the playoff chase.

The trade deadline coincides with the team's flight departure time today for Minneapolis. Four years ago, Dragic was traded while the team was flying to Toronto. When the team landed, Steve Nash saw it on his phone and told Dragic. He was disappointed but going to Houston allowed him to show how he could run a team from the point — the situation he wants again (just not in Houston).

"To be a point guard, to run the team, to have the ball in my hands, to try to make plays for others," Dragic said. "That's who I am. That's why I'm not happy to stand in the corner. I did a lot of sacrifices for this team but unfortunately I didn't want to."

Can we get a Goran Dragic version of 'You've changed bro'? :p

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5RzI6_4-_jQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. newAge_Rockets

For Dragic...no. For Ty Lawson. ..maybe.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd give that package up for Lawson though, since he's under contract and everything.

18. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Do I sleep tonight and wake up early or not sleep tonight and wake up early? Somehow I feel like me staying up may be the key to everything falling into place.

19. tomato

tomato Member

Morey loves salvia

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's my take, too. Seriously, I know it's on a bad team, but he's only making $7 million/year and is scoring 20+ points/game on 41% shooting from distance. Not an unreasonable contract, and guys like that don't get bought out unless there are really extenuating contract circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.