1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Is Goran Dragic to Houston suddenly possible?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 16, 2015.

1. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Winning franchises make winning moves, that draft pick ain't helping us win a chip this year. When u got a declining dwight and an map candidate you get it done

2. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Yet we have the worst offensive pg I have seen in years atm. Gotta do something at the deadline

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Where does it say that Dragic doesn't want to come to Houston? That tweet just highlight the glamorous destinations LA, NY and Miami as being "among those" in which Dragic has interest.

Is there another story where Dragic rejects Houston as he did Phoenix?

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Stein and a few others reported that Houston wasn't on his list of desired destinations and that he wouldn't sign long-term here:

#144 Aruba77, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Amick also reported similar information. There are 7 destinations that Goran is willing to sign an extension with. Houston is not only that list.

Other reports clearly mention that he is still hot about Houston not offering him enough from his POV in the past, which led to his signing with the Suns.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski explained, “Dragic has privately indicated his fear of Houston trading him in the years after signing him to a deal makes him uneasy about a deal there.”

Oh wow. That a pretty damning statement from the Dragic camp if true. If sentiment like this is spreading through the league, the worst fears about Morey may actually have merit. :eek:

7. thething

thething Contributing Member

This is a situation I wish we could offer a no trade clause. If only he had been on the team for 4 years...

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He wouldnt be the man in NY (Melo), Miami (Bosh/Wade) or LAL (Kobe). It is all about money which we are willing to spend. Not at all worried.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This is actually a good thing (what Dragic allegedly said). If Dragic wants to come here but is scared that is way better and easier to fix than having no interest. It sounds like a phone call with Morey and maybe Les could sort this all out. Throw an Ipad in for good measure.

10. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

He is not worth T Jones or D-Mo. D-Mo is getting better and better and Jones is no where near 100 percent. I hope we don't blow this.

11. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I mean that's the nature of the business. I understand not wanting to have to move, but come on, you might be getting 80-100 million just to play basketball. Ariza got dealt after year 1 because he wasn't afraid and wanted to win.

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Would Dragic demand a starting position and are we ready to give it to him? Beverley would not take it well to come off the bench, but we need Dragic when Harden is not there to create so the 2nd unit makes more sense though I would start him and manage his minutes so that he plays a lot with the 2nd unit as well.

13. CertifiedTroll

Know your client, Dynex preferred.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Beverley wouldn't take it well? Who cares what Beverley thinks, or when he plays. Beverley is just lucky we pulled him out of Russia. Beverley is the least of my worries.

15. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The question's been answered, McHale wants him to come off the bench. The big question is if Dragic wants that :grin:

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Beverley not taking it well might be the best thing for him Rockets .... He's at his best when he's playing with a chip on his shoulder .... being bumped from the starting lineup would probably be just what the doctor ordered.

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

If we trade for him wouldn't that give us his bird rights? Meaning the other teams wouldn't be able to offer the max (the $88 Mill deal that Harden got not the super $135 Mill that Bosh and Anthony got) and once again we would be screwing him out of extra money in the open market? I can see Morey risking it and just hoping he likes it here enough to resign.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yahoo Sources: Suns much more focused on discussing Dragic deals w/ Celtics, Rockets, Kings, among others, than any teams on guard's list.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/568117833449791489">February 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Dragic not wanting get traded after signing is understandable to a point, but if you are performing up to your contract for a contender, you probably aren't getting traded. It's odd because he went back to Phoenix and they DID trade him and are about to trade him a second time. He has never been traded by Houston, so I don't see why that would be any more of a concern here than any where else he might sign. Every team in the league would be looking to trade him if he signs a max deal and under performs.

More legitimate reasons in my mind why he might rule out Houston:

1) Maybe the Rockets are not willing to give him a max contract next year.
    At 29 years old in May, he certainly isn't a young and developing PG at this point ,and in the west chances are he is never an all star. As much of an offensive upgrade as he is from Beverly, he still would be arguably the worst starting PG among the western playoff teams. Those are all reasons not to give him a 5 year max deal, which there is a good chance he is seeking.

2) Doesn't want to play as an off the ball point guard with Harden. Harden is a ball dominator, and while he is a willing passer, he seems to prefers to initiate the offense most of the time rather than play off the ball. Of course Kobe can be even worse, and Carmello didn't exactly embrace "Linsanity" when he had a PG performing at a high level for the Knicks. I don't see either of those teams turning into real contenders in the next 2-3 years.

I don't understand why Dragic would hold such a grudge over not getting offered a fourth year player option. If he was that much into holding grudges for teams "disrespecting him", why go back to the Suns who actually traded him away to the Rockets?