1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Howard, Edema, anyone with medical knowledge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by knucklehead3321, Feb 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. knucklehead3321

I've been reading on edema from what I've gathered is it could be poor diet, or something else that could effect liver, kidneys and even the heart. I'm no medical buff, but kinda sounds scary. Does anyone here have any knowledge on this? I'm as curious as I am concerned.

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

No more threads for you

1 person likes this.
  3. knucklehead3321

Was that necessary? I just dont understand this injury, and if its serious or not. Its just a simple question. If you have the medical knowledge can you explain it? If so I wont start another thread the rest of the season.

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

edema merely means swelling...i'm sure dwight is healthy regardless...

5. knucklehead3321

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/edema/basics/definition/con-20033037

Thanks for a legitimate response, I've gathered that much but can it be much more? I know Michael Jordan had swelling in his knees and simply had fluid drained, and he didnt miss 6 to 8 weeks. How is this different? Is it different? Im honestly clueless.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

As stated on the swelling part by vstexas09, it would be in other areas if diet/heart/liver/heart etc. For example in heart related condition more likely to see a patient swelling in wrists/ankles initially.

Anyway, no need to worry on his long term health because of this, I haven't seen his MRI or something, but his sounds strictly wear and tear related or injury based to the knee. They wouldn't have tried knee injections if there were a serious underlying issue, for example if you had bad circulation due to a heart related issue and swelling in the ankles they wouldn't try ankle surgery etc.

Unfortunately his procedure isn't guaranteed since it's fairly new, and we don't know all that was said behind closed doors. The knee issue could be a long-term basketball issue but not a life changing event like someone that has a heart condition.

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

IB4TL

Nothing to worry about, OP.

8. knucklehead3321

Thanks guys, this helps me understand a little more. I was hoping it was just bball related, but the more I read the more concerned I got not just as a rockets fan but for his health in general away from bball.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Should have read the other threads :p

10. knucklehead3321

True, and I did... some, but thats what got me reading more into it. Its kind of hard looking through everything on a message board when im on a cell phone. For some reason I cant use search which I used to be able to. Its been a while since ive even logged in and posted anything I am still used to the old clutchfans.com . Sorry if this post offended anyone, delete it if its a problem. My question was mostly answered.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I suppose, but some of those threads were a mess. If OP legitimately was reading medical articles I can understand the questions outside of that.

Anyway OP, I've seen a lot worse threads here, and this was by no means bad... Granted I like discussing medical stuff.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Search for okeezie

13. RESINator

RESINator Member

Yes you are correct. Dwight howard has EDEMA.

Years of jumping and slam dunking so hard have placed a lot of strain into his heart leading to congestive heart failure. He can barely pump blood forward that he gets fluid backed up and swelling. End result = EDEMA. Not unlike whats happening to Anthony Mason right now.

Also, I've heard he's gotten hepatitis C from his early thug days and now has cirrhosis that contributing to it. His liver is out of wonk so he's got EDEMA from that.

On top of all this, he also has what's called nephrotic syndrome. Basically all of his proteins are leaking out of kidneys from a strep infection he got not too long ago. No proteins in blood means starling forces causes fluid to extravasate out of his vessels into his tissues leading to EDEMA.

He also has a rare type of edema on top of this called MYXEDEMA. Ever wonder why he's got an inability to concentrate in the post and so ramped up on the court with his eyes bulging out? All these issues have given him a grave disease.

14. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Edema refers to accumulation of fluid. What you are referencing is organ system pathology which is very severe, like heart failure (its a pump--if it doesn't work properly you can understand why fluid would back up-systemic/pulmonary). Your liver produces albumin, a crucial protein in your body, cirrhosis etc cause low levels of this which cause fluid to accumulate in compartments (reduced oncotic pressure of the blood vessels). Your kidneys filter blood, so if they are unable to do so, you can see how a backup and decrease in the filtration rate would cause accumulation of fluid.

The edema dwight has is localized swelling and inflammation brought on my injury. When you get injured, your body releases vasoactive chemicals that cause vasodilation etc of the region which promotes more fluid loss to the surrounding area (his knee). In order to promote healing, your body promotes this inflammatory response which often results in this swelling, which varies in severity according to the damage incurred. Couldn't tell if you were serious, but that was a quick 1 minute summary I managed to type out in the bathroom.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This post is full of win. Ignore what I said.

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

This. Exactly.

The problem for us, as fans, is that edema is a very general term. The Rockets front office hasn't given us any real information about the severity of the injury. Just like they didn't when Terrence Jones was injured. The severity of the injury is going to depend on the extent of the swelling, but even more importantly the location of it. Which tissues are affected? Is it a soft tissue injury or a hard tissue injury?

Dwight received a bone marrow aspirate injection. A new procedure that involves stem cells and the doctors trying to regenerate some kind of tissue. I don't know about that. But the fact that he had that done could indicate that it is a more serious or potentially lingering injury.

So really, we have no idea. Edema could mean a wide number of things. And the Rockets front office and medical team probably won't tell us much more than when he is getting close to coming back to play.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I like how it ended with Graves' disease.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Big deal, he gave himself edema, stop overreacting.

he might not wanna wear white underwear for a day or two but shoudl be back on schedule soon enough.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Great thread would read again