1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>"Jon will remain at the helm of ‘The Daily Show’ until later this year.” - President of Comedy Central.<a href="http://t.co/LjZUHhrfGK" title="http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/02/jon-stewart-leaving-the-daily-show-202418.html">politico.com/blogs/media/20…</a></p>&mdash; Dylan Byers (@DylanByers) <a href="https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/565296673526923265" data-datetime="2015-02-10T23:50:04+00:00">February 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Whoa! That's big news.

3. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I believe watching Carrel and Helms leapfrog him stung a bit, I think Colbert getting Letterman just killed him. Either that or he feels he can do the same commentary elsewhere without the grind of a daily TV production.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

This would be bigger news to me if Suddenlink hadn't dropped comedy central

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

switching chairs with Brian Williams.

1 person likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Carrell maybe, but Helms no. Stewart is a huge star in his own right. That said, maybe he is hurt by not getting either of the network gigs.

Oliver is the perfect replacement but I doubt he leaves the HBO job now.

Maybe I'm in the majority but I don't think the Wilmore show is good. He just looks uncomfortable and the "Keep it 100" thing is just dumb.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

John Oliver, Keith Olbermann, Joel McHale, or John Mulaney: a 28-year-old, healthy man, doing his best.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If you are a regular watcher you have noticed a lot of the joy has gone out of Jon's work. He talks a lot about how he's been doing the show for 83 years, how he gone from young to Ernest Borgnine, and no matter how much he exposes hypocrisy the same crap just keeps on rolling... another race of stupid from the GOP, CNN's breathless sensationalism and the pure evil of ISIS. I think he just doesn't want to be immersed in it every day anymore, well, four days a week for 44 weeks a year. You don't have the luxury of denial when you examine it as your work day.

I've seen 99% of all the episodes over the last 9 years, The Daily Show and the Colbert were my links to sanity, but I don't blame either one of them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

McHale and Mulaney are interesting to me. I think Oliver can't go back to Comedy Central after being on HBO. I would think he has far more freedom over there. I don't like Olbermann in that role. He is way to intense for it.

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't think oliver is going to bolt from HBO, and i've always thought stewart would be a good replacement for bill maher whenever he's ready to step down.

john mulaney is an interesting name... not sure how he, or mchale, would do with politics though?

could CC take a chance on one of the correspondents or contributors?

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He has a couple young kids and has mentioned before that he'd like to spend more time with them. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a part of the reason why.

I don't think the success of any of his friends has had an impact on the decision.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So, when does the progressive drumbeat start to ensure Stewart's replacement is not a white male?

*backs slowly out of room*</p>&mdash; Dan McLaughlin (@baseballcrank) <a href="https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/565306776208572417">February 11, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. SPBR

SPBR Member

I like Oliver but he has a meanness, or at least a disregard for others, in the target he picks sometimes. Random people get pulled in for sake of a joke that's not always funny and feel more like collateral damage, like the PoliSci major who was working as a drug rep explaining how doctors were asking her about which drugs to prescribe. What's the point of mocking her when Oliver's target should be Big Pharma and their practices? She was actually trying to show how ridiculous things were. It's something you won't see Stewart do unless the person getting mocked was some well known political figure.

That said, if I had to choose a replacement for Stewart, Oliver is on top of my list. I don't think Oliver will leave HBO, but I hear Stewart makes around $25-30 mil, so Oliver might be persuaded with the right incentives.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It seems like it's combination of fatigue and under-appreciation. Exposing hypocrisy day after day doesn't change anything. If anything, the increasingly hyperpolarized, intransigent nature of politics means that it's pretty much futile.

He gets a lot of respect in the industry (multiple award show hostings), but I doubt he feels validated still being on a cable network news satire show after 15 years. Outside of the 18-34 demographic, he probably doesn't get much recognition.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I think John Oliver is going to be with HBO for a while... Mulaney would be a good choice, I'm a fan of his. I don't think he'd have the time for a daily show with his new show going on though.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably around the time conservatives like you stop resenting blacks and women for having ambition.

1 person likes this.
  18. Marteen

Marteen Member

Damn, I would like to know why. My guess is he's probably grown tired of it.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dunno Mulhaney but didn't he just lose a show . . sITCOM

Rocket River

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Craig Kilborne.