1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard receives bone marrow aspirate injection in his right knee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

UPDATE: Blog post...
    The latest news on Dwight Howard’s knee is not good at all
    http://rockets.clutchfans.net/8108/dwight-howards-knee-bone-marrow-aspirate/

<HR>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dwight Howard had a bone marrow aspirate injection on his right knee. He will begin rehabilitation &amp; will be re-evaluated in 4 weeks.</p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/562994007488626689">February 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Well that takes care of that! Out at least a month...

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

That does not sound good....

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I've heard of that for Osteoporosis. Damn does Dwight have bone density issues?!?!

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ah, seems to just be a run of the mill bone marrow aspirate injection.

No need to worry, right? :(

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It must be bone on bone, this is sort of a deal to help regrow cartlidge.

http://www.houstonsportsdoctor.com/bone-stem-cell-injections.html

This sounds more and more serious.

I wish Feigan would ask the questions that reporters should ask, like WHY, and what is the condition of the knee.....

What is the prognosis on a complete and healthy recovery - I tweeted him this, maybe he will get back.

DD

7. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Just shut him down. This guy needs 6 months minimum. Rox management doesnt give a ****. Anything to sell tickets. They will pump some silicone in that knee too just so it can have some bounce.

Gues what? Even with Dwight this team is still a first round exit. instead, lets inject some brain cells into these idiots in FO

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

Cheke - If it is bone on bone, more rest won't help - it will still be the same, if rest will cure him then sure, but this does NOT sound like rest will cure it.

Honestly, it sounds like the Rockets are unlucky again - and that Dwight's days as an elite level player are long gone.

UGH.

DD

10. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Why so angry? And exactly why are they idiots?

From what he inherited, to the team he has on the court now - I would say quite the opposite. They are way smarter than you or I could ever dream of being.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Ugh if only he drank more milk growing up. UGH

12. Nero

Nero Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24046512

This implies a degenerative arthritic condition in his knee. The therapy MAY work, but it will probably have to be ongoing and could possibly take at least a year, with him NOT playing on it, for him to regain vigorous use of the knee with reduced or eliminated pain, but mayyybe in as little as two months. Going to TRY to be hopeful with this issue, but preparing for the worst.

Maybe we should be KEEPING that NOP pick and hoping for a good young center in the draft, because we have been on this train before with Yao..

Maybe I am just pessimistic, but it looks to me like Dwight's knee doesn't have an 'injury', it has a 'condition'.. who knows, maybe this will be the catalyst which convinces Howard to actually learn to SHOOT and be efficient with skill and moves rather than simply relying on raw athleticism... ala Tim Duncan. Anyone holding their breath?

"Regenerative injection therapy with whole bone marrow aspirate for degenerative joint disease: a case series.
    Hauser RA1, Orlofsky A.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Regenerative therapeutic strategies for joint diseases usually employ either enriched concentrates of bone marrow-derived stem cells, chondrogenic preparations such as platelet-rich plasma, or irritant solutions such as hyperosmotic dextrose. In this case series, we describe our experience with a simple, cost-effective regenerative treatment using direct injection of unfractionated whole bone marrow (WBM) into osteoarthritic joints in combination with hyperosmotic dextrose. Seven patients with hip, knee or ankle osteoarthritis (OA) received two to seven treatments over a period of two to twelve months. Patient-reported assessments were collected in interviews and by questionnaire. All patients reported improvements with respect to pain, as well as gains in functionality and quality of life. Three patients, including two whose progress under other therapy had plateaued or reversed, achieved complete or near-complete symptomatic relief, and two additional patients achieved resumption of vigorous exercise. These preliminary findings suggest that OA treatment with WBM injection merits further investigation.
    KEYWORDS:
    bone marrow aspirate; case series; chronic pain; osteoarthritis; prolotherapy"

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well its a wrap. I swear I never heard that directly. I thought it was skepticism.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, sometimes FO really pisses me off too... And unfortunately I still think they're first round exit too (maybe 2nd round at best).

15. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

So...... when does Dwight's contract expire?

16. Zbed

Zbed Member

Some of you guys are crazy.....don't even have all of the facts

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

seems to jive with les alexander's previous comments about the 2nd round of the playoffs not being overly important. since training camp they've no likely already known the severity of dwight's condition.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The facts are hidden.

19. DaDakota

He has 2 years after this one, and he can opt out at the end of next year - which now I doubt he does, this is his last big contract - so I think we are stuck with him and have to hope this works to make him at least able to play some.

We might be able to ship him in a couple of years as an expiring....just seems so sad.

The FACTS are that if rest was all that is or was needed, that is what he would be doing, but apparently he has now had 2 separate procedures to try to alleviate the pain, which clearly affects his ability to play.

DD

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Maybe if we throw in a first round pick the Lakers will want him;)

Another player option that is going to screw the team. You almost understand Moreys hate for player options.

This is terrible news. I am no doctor but this all sound very bad.