1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

It's weird that some Lakers fans think of Jordan Hill as a valuable asset.

He is probably the 4th best big on one of worst teams, and the worst defensive team, in the NBA. He doesn't move the needle for the Lakers, so why would anyone else think he moves the needles for them?

2. CCapps

CCapps Member

This. It's literally been said and quoted several times. And I bet someone will still come on and say "OMG WE ARE GIVING UP THAT FOR J.HILL??!?! HE's TURRIBLE!"

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

The terribleness of Jordan Hill overshadows all.

4. kemah

kemah Member

lol

In another 2-3 pages we will be coming up with 2-4 team trades and have our playmaking PG and Center spot fixed.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Trading Jones or DMo if Dwight can't get back this season is a terrible idea.

If Dwight's healthy I'd part with either of them for a guy like Dragic, but that's unlikely.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Emeka would be awesome...

DD

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Hill's great and all but lets face it, we're not going far in the playoffs w/o Dwight. So instead of wasting a #1 and $10 mil on another big, I'd rather invest in a true gap, which is obviously PG. Even with Dwight out, I'd still trade Dmo or TJ + the Pelicans pick for a Dragic or Lawson etc. If Dwight is out we're screwed either way, but with a legit PG it helps us short and long term.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

IF Dwight is out for the rest of the season, Hill is not the answer. In fact, I'm much more inclined to stick with Smith/TJones as our "rim protectors" and focus on the long term needs of this team, i.e. a stretch 4 or a PG.

I've been debating whether we could work with Chicago on an Ariza for Mirotic swap.

For Chicago, it's their #4 big for a starting SF.

For Houston, it's a young, legit stretch 4. I'm less concerned about our current defense. If Dwight is out we aren't winning a championship and Brewer can step into the starting lineup.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

cyberx, can we still get bynum if jordan hill is unattainable? what about any other fakers scrubs?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Haters gotta hate.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Even if Dwright is not out, a chance for the rockets to win a title is not high. Spending $M9 on Hill is a huge mistake, likely Morey will not do it even if Lakers are willing to return the rockets first round pick in the trade for Lin.

12. basketballholic

I'd take Ajinca for the Knicks second and Dorsey. Or perhaps a bigger trade for Eric Gordon and Ajinca for expirings and Knicks second.

I'd try to sign Haddadi for minimum.

Perhaps Dorsey and Knicks pick got Myles Plumlee.

Perhaps Kostas, Shved, JET, for Brooks Lopez and Jerome Jordan. Then Nets buy out Deron and we sign him. Might even throw in the Knicks pick there.

Possibly Kyle O'Quinn for Dorsey and Knicks pick.

Maybe Kostas and Dorsey for Jason Thompson and Ray McCallum.

didn't check salaries but those should all be close.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hill would be an expiring contract and a rental, hardly a team killer.....

14. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I understand many here don't like Ariza but he without his defense we would be hard pressed and especially with a weakened interior. We are pretty much set at the 4 I think with TJ or Dmo or Smith. Our greatest needs are the 1 or 5 spot.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I don't want to jump the gun or anything but D-Mo has shot around 40% over the past few weeks, and Morey tweeted something the other day about how much work he's putting into the 3 ball.

The stretch 4 thing is a nice option but look around the NBA... who is that guy that plays both ends of the court. Mirotic? Ibaka?... I think we have to be realistic about "needing" a true stretch 4 vs wanting a unicorn. The best thing that can happen is to simply have D-Mo and Jones continue to improve their shooting ability. Mirotic .... we are probably dreaming.

If Dwight is out for the rest of the season (seems unlikely), how far is this team really going to go honestly? Anytime you have the MVP you should always try to win now, but whatever moves I make would not involve giving up draft picks, or young talent unless you are getting back a key player that can be around for the future.

If Dwight's out for a long time, or the year, I think barring a major star-level trade, I'd think Morey might pull out of alot of trade talks, and try to put more future talent on the roster this Summer. This draft class is looking pretty underrated. I'd like to see the Rockets have another shot at a lottery level talent to add to their core. I'm really not in love with moving the Pelles pick under most circumstances quite honestly.

If this season has taught me anything its that even when you think you have enough talent, you could also have a little more. The Rockets aren't going to get too many more shots at a lottery pick anytime soon. It might be a good idea to take one last shot at a young talent in the draft by holding onto that Pelles pick unless you just have to move it.

#23155 dobro1229, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  16. Cranberry_Juice

I hear Mo Williams is available for a 2nd rounder from rotoworld. thoughts?

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the Rockets need of a 2nd playmaker (perhaps at PG position) is greater than the need at a "stretch 4." And I think D-Mo could eventually get to the point where that corner 3 is a consistent shot for him.

I will say this regarding Dwight Howard. Initially, I just assumed he would opt out of his deal after next season and then we would sign him for the max after that.

Now?

I think it is possible Dwight does not opt out and then when his contract is up, the Rockets might re-sign him, but at a reduced rate. Will DH be down with that? I dont know. Though I am not sure what the market will look like for him and what the state of his health will be.

I think Morey has to be very careful here not to get the team in a position were they trade too many assets and leave the cupboard bare if injuries start to ravage the team. I don't think he will do that. He remembers the Tmac/Yao days.

Before, I felt we were building a team around James Harden & Dwight Howard. Now I feel we are building a team around "James Harden" and Dwight Howard is just one of those satellite pieces.

Klay Thompson has Steph Curry. James Harden needs a running mate.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

KD.

Oh wait, star players older than 26 fall apart once they come here.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah when you have a young PF that is shooting 40% from 3 this month, it's hard to suggest a stretch 4 is the biggest need. Losing Parsons for Ariza helped the defense, but it also removed a ball handler and playmaker that we didn't replace. We also lost Lin who despite his flaws was a better playmaker than anyone not named Harden on the Rockets roster.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For the record it looks like in addition to the NYK 2nd round pick (currently 33), the Rockets also have the Nuggets 2nd round pick (currently 42).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.