1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices, the houston boom is over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, my band played about 8 different O&G holiday parties in November/December and they were all lavish as hell. One even spent 750K to hire a grammy-winning country group to play after us.

December is always our best month. I guess it won't be next year...

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

:eek::eek::eek:

That's a lot of $$$ for ONE show! That's Coldplay, Lady GaGa, Rihanna, Kanye West territory. If I had to guess who it was I'd say Rascal Flatts.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To be fair, it's not like other industries don't do the same when times are good. It is what it is.

4. dmoneybangbang

There needs to be a balance, but that's not likely. Lower fuel prices also promotes inefficiency and pollution as it renewable energy doesn't make as much sense. Also, O&G jobs and investment really propped up the economy in the wake of the recession. However, like you mentioned, too high prices can really effect logistics, food prices, and just about everything.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly! And what about those selfish mfers who stopped buying the newspaper once you could get the content online for free? Why didn't anyone think of the reporters, copy editors, photojournalists, et al. who lost their jobs? All for what, an extra dollar a day? :rolleyes:

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You would be correct. :)

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Anadarko hired Maroon 5

No lie.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

I like how consumers are making long term investments (re: lincoln navigator sales) over short term changes in price of oil.

'Murica!

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

A few things from this.

1) Working in a cyclical industry means there will be booms and busts (I'm in one) and all we can do is brush up on our experience, learn more and fill out more bullet points in our resume. Need to develop those transferable skills, which is much easier said than done.

2) Like the auto industry and finance industry, I think O&G issues will roll downhill and impact people outside of the industry. I do feel bad for O&G and it's probably going to ripple through and affect most people in Houston (and broader Texas in general). Even if we're not directly in it, I can see it potentially affecting both my family and my parents. The most obvious which is real-estate losing value.

3) That said, I think it's unlikely government intervene and help as the entire industry would not fall, and it's reach is not as wide. Given the political slants of the industry, and how sharp criticisms were from conservatives against bailouts of auto and financial industry, I don't believe we'll see major government intervention.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Is this really your logic? Have you seen what constitutes journalism these days? Its a joke. And for a tree hugging liberal hippie like yourself, what about the thousands of trees being harvested for needless paper? Your logic is baffling.

On one hand, you people complain greedy companies charge too much, but once the prices drop and cuts are made, you complain again. If you feel like your life should be a charity, then feel free to give away all your money to everyone else.

11. Chopped

Chopped Member

Got an email from the top of our division in GE O&G, not looking too good.

12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

sarcasm meter broken.jpg

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

BP is going to freeze salaries. What about bonuses? Sounds like a desperate move - takeover target.

1 person likes this.
  14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

People have been saying that for year. If it didn't happen during the oil spill when they were weak and the other companies were strong, why would it happen when everyone's weak?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And in other industries... a statement like this isn't even something people would bat an eye at.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

In light of recent events, is Houston still the best economy/job market in the country?

During the recession while the rest of the country was down, seemed like Houston was rubbing its nose to the rest of the country.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've never heard that before. Is rubbing your nose considered offensive?

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Good question, I'm wondering the same. Go to your boss' office and rub your nose at him/her. Comeback and report your findings.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I always thought it was "thumbing your nose"

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

No, you thumb their nose at it and rub yours in it.... do a little hokey pokey and turn yourself around... that's what layoffs are all about.

1 person likes this.