1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Trevor Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 22, 2015.

?

Would you trade Trevor Ariza?

1. Yes, he's good but won't put us over the top, salary hinders us going forward

70 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. No, he's too important to our championship aspirations

64 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Yes, but only in the right deal that makes us a true contender now

149 vote(s)
    52.7%
  1. baller4life315

Only if the trade is a complete no-brainer, otherwise I think the idea of trading a player twice could be poorly received.

Yeah, I know, crazier things have happened. All the same, one could argue rewarding Ariza's loyalty with another trade would be another example of how DM only treats his players like assets.

2. basketballholic

Loyalty does not have place except in precious few cases. Ask Lebron about loyalty. It's not how the NBA works. Only in a few extreme cases like Dirk or DWade is loyalty a factor. Not Ariza.

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

heck no, we need his defence, do we want to really turn back in to the defenceless team of last season

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope.

Morey has really spoiled this fanbase, you can't just continue to flip players and expect chemistry.

Guys like Ariza are guys that win you games in the playoffs (as he's shown in his career) he's a winner.

5. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Trading Ariza for Joe Johnson would mean no more other trades or signings of any significance (save the taxpayer MLE) for this season or next, so you would have to think Joe Johnson was a final piece.

I certainly don't think that, at all.

6. basketballholic

Joe Johnson doesn't play defense?

Not necessarily. Joe Johnson is a nice piece. DMo is a nice piece. And the Pels pick is a nice piece. We'd still have the full MLE to go get a 4-6th guy. You're assuming the Pels pick gone. Still plenty of opportunity. And if nothing happens...we're able to reset in 2016.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trade, trade, trade.

Good thing some of you nor Morey ran the Spurs, old Bulls, Lakers or Celtics.

So trade happy-asset-flipping-flexibility that you would have broken up the team.

1 person likes this.
  8. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I understand that Ariza's shooting is off, but at least have another offensive move. Like getting to the basket and score/draw a foul.

9. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

No I am not. I am doing the cap/tax math.

A roster of Harden, Howard, Joe Johnson, Beverly (just QO), Jones, DMo, Capela, Dorsey, Canaan, and Nick Johnson alone would be $75.7M+. That would put us far over the cap (even if it is "smoothed") and could put us quite close to the tax line with any other signings. And there are no medium contracts to stack to make trades for significant players.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

he has no value, you wouldn't get anything for him

11. baller4life315

Not saying the fact that he traded Ariza once already precludes the possibility of it happening again. I'm just saying it might cause him to think twice about dealing him for anything other than a monster upgrade. For that reason, and primarily, from a chemistry standpoint. I think the board would riot if he dealt him for Chase Budinger and draft pick, for example.

Ariza has proven he can be a championship level role player. His shooting percentages will recover. His defense and attitude are good. He's not the problem here.

I get where you're coming from with the interest in Joe Johnson. I followed him closely for many years. He's a do-it-all player that would probably have multiple championships by now if Phoenix would have held onto him, as they should have. We need another player, he would help us. I get it: he fits. But $23M? It makes almost any reasonable trade scenario very much impractical.

12. kchin

kchin Member

You posters here are the most fickle Rocket fans ever. If it were up to you, you would have the Rockets start the season with no name talented hacks and not in playoff contention. For all intense purposes this is a talented roster. Other teams would kill to have a starting lineup of G Beverly, G Hardin, F Ariza, F Smith, C Howard and reserves F Montiejunas, G Brewer, G Terry. Stop turning over a roster and give it time to mesh (ie. Warriors, Spurs, Grizzlies)

13. basketballholic

Morey would never trade Ariza for Budinger and a draft pick.

We are limited to the apron $80.829 million in salary this year. But next season the cap is going up and the luxury tax limit is going up and we are competing for a championship. If we trade for major salary and KEEP the Pelies pick....KEEP THE PELS PICK............KEEP THE PELS PICK.......that's our outlet to generate a trade if we need to even though we don't have cap space.

And Joe Johnson expires after next season..............just in time for the salary cap spike up to $80 million or more.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is not all about Joe Johnson necessarily. He just happens to be a guy that I think fits that very well could become easily acquirable IF Brooklyn can get DWill gone.

Brooklyn is going to blow it up. Prokhorov is selling them. They're going nowhere. It'll help them to get out of the luxury tax. They're most likely going to fall out of the playoffs altogether if they don't move guys out. If they can move DWill out....they already know they can move out Lopez for expirings. Then it comes down to getting some young talent and possibly a pick or two for JJ.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Trade everyone outside of harden.

15. Red three

Red three Member

Yea I hear ya, but that guy gives away more open shots then any one on this team..

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

This is you, right OP?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Latest buzz: Trevor Ariza in trade discussions. He is on the table for the right deal.</p>&mdash; JPM (@Jopatmc1967) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jopatmc1967/status/558429428355964928">January 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  17. baller4life315

The Budinger + draft pick example was something I made up to demonstrate a lateral move, at best. It's the type of trade I can't envision DM considering, in the unlikely event he decides to move Ariza.

Hey, if Brooklyn decides to buy out JJ...by all means. But you're going to have a tough time convincing me that surrendering $23M worth of salary is a worthwhile endeavor at this point.

18. Red three

Red three Member

I would swop aria for Pj Tucker...they guy plays with heart,That's all we ask for..

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Should have kept Parsons- HardenHordon

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

lmao
    [​IMG]