1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Cardale Jones fall to us at #16?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by swyyyguy, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

If we had to throw him in the fire then so be it. Or we could sacrifice Tom Savage to start so we don't ruin Jones too early

2. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

If Jones declares, we have to draft him. I don't care where we get him but we have to get him because our current option .. shoot we have no options!!!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was listening to someone on ESPN Radio
    Actually pushing for the kid to leave

he said they guy maybe a 4th or 5th round pick
    but he would learn so much more being on someone's bench for 2~3 yrs
    rather than chilling in college . . .. esp since he'd probably go to a good team
    with a solid QB

Saints/Denver/New England etc. . . would throw a 4th rounder on him
    learn behind those guys for two years. . . or another year of college and go to next years
    equivalent of Tampa bay

Rocket River

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I would agree with that. Most QB's struggle as rookies if they get to play. He should come out, get drafted and learn the pro game from the bench.

I have a feeling though, that he would go before the 4th round. The Texans drafted Tom Savage in the 4th. I would think that the buzz around Jones would result in him going in the first three rounds.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I think first even if he was on the bench all of next year, he would still get drafted in the 2016 draft. Backup Qb's at big schools can get drafted with his or even less of a sample set. So I don't think that's a career ender for him.

All that said, as just a 3 star recruit, I would go now. Someone is going to go early on 'em in the draft and try to beat the other teams draft ranking. Not sure who. Someone will do it. So I think he goes in the 3rd.

Cardale looked better than Winston and Mariotta over the last 3 months. Arm, Mobility, Accuracy, and Clutch. The whole kitten kaboodle. Kittly litter and all. He's right in the middle now. It's like Millionaire. He can go up and get it all by staying in school or it can get thrown away and he doesn't even get drafted, and that really just depends on how confident he is in himself.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he doesn't think that he can earn the starter job next season at Ohio State and boost his draft stock, it's even more of a reason for NFL teams not to draft him. I'm still shocked and disappointed that this is even a topic here.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Cardale ran it more than VY. 75 passes and 46 carries in the last 3 games. In the last 3 that Vince played, he threw it 81 times and ran it 38 times.

I think some of you are going overboard with praise. Mariota in his last 3 games threw for 984 yards, 68% cmplt, 6 TD and 2 INT, the last one being on a hail mary which shouldn't be counted as a knock. Go back his last 5 games and it's 1,674 yards, 70%, 13 TD, 2 INT which to me is a lot more impressive.

Cardale playing the way he did for being 3rd string and not having played much in the first 12 games might be unprecedented, but his play in and of itself wasn't THAT unique. He should be so thankful for Ezekiel Elliot who had almost 700 rushing yards in those last 3 games.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah having a RB rush for 200 yards a game isn't a luxury many QB's have, and certainly isn't something that would exist in the NFL.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you can sign Mallett/Peyton and draft Jones on the third day of the draft, you do it. But only if you're ensuring that he will be the third string QB for the entirety of the next season.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Jones needs to go back to school & develop. He needs to clean up some bad habits & drop some weight. He's a NFL prospect for sure though.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Usually our third round picks are busts or rarely used anyway so I don't see the harm in taking him in the third round if he's there. Low risk/high reward if you ask me.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Evidently next year he probably will be on the bench
    The Question is a College Bench or an NLF Bench

Which serves him better?

Rocket River

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He could wind up on a practice squad too.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jameis might assault someone again and fall to us.

Could be the ideal scenario.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well we'd just have to have Bob McNair sell the team before that to someone a little more rape friendly....if not it won't matter how far down Winston falls.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't think Jerry Jones is interested in buying the Texans.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And BeezleBud is dead

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

he should absolutely come out (if you are gonna be a backup, get paid to be one) and the Texans should absolutely draft him 2nd rd or later

with QB you have to keep trying a bunch at low risk until you find the right one to give a contract to

Seattle had like 4 QBs and settled on Wilson

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kid is too good to fall out the top 10.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You guys are dreaming if you think Urban Meyer is going to bench this kid. He's already a champion & only going to get better. But the NFL is a no boys allowed league & despite his success, the kid needs live snaps. Stay in school & continue to grow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.