1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Cardale Jones fall to us at #16?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by swyyyguy, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remii

Remii Member

I don't know about the McNair comparison but you never know what Tennessee would do in a later round.

The problem for Jones is he only has 48 hours to declare for the draft. They should extend that rule to after the combine... But the colleges don't gain from that.

2. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Bobbythegreat You should be an ESPN analyst.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The Aggies first three games:
    South Carolina
    Lamar
    Rice

Ohio State's last three games:
    Wisconsin
    Alabama
    Oregon

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You (and now swyyguy) were talking about him as a first round pick, going ahead of Mariota. I still think that's idiotic. I was talking about him potentially being a late round pick. I haven't changed my opinion at all. My point still stands, you don't risk a high draft pick on a guy you have limited game film on.

5. Indaface

Indaface Member

If he declares then he's definitely worth a 5th-7th round pick flyer on. Not because I think he's a stud or anything but at least I know he won't get cut in training camp...which isn't something I can say for most of Rickys recent picks.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Brohm was a better prospect, man. Brohm. Bray too maybe.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

" Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS ”
    —Cardale Jones, Twitter: October 5, 2012.

F*** Off!!!

8. Summer Song Giver

Fall to us, I think we should trade up to #1 to make sure we get him.

/Rickey

9. Remii

Remii Member

What's funny about knee-jerk reactions are that they go both ways. Mariota has 3 years of tape but after one game last night (when a team takes away his 1st read) _ he's probably going to drop in the draft like a rock and all of his tape won't save him.

----If '12 Gauge' keeps ballin so hard and goes pro... Mariota may not be the sure fire #1 pick _ or Tennessee may still have a good option _ or if Jones falls to 16 the Texans will have a quarterback to take if they want him...---

That was my post, and the scenarios I mention range from Jones being drafted with a high pick to not being drafted with a high pick. I also use the word 'may' and not 'will'...

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The guy has kids and is not a certain starter if he comes back, he just won the National Championship so his stock is unlikely to get higher. If he comes out and is drafted at all he makes $450,000 a year for 2 or 3 years. That's a million in the bank to buy franchises with.

That's a pretty good low side, I'd do it.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He apparently tweeted that after getting a B on an exam and he is a 3.5 student

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

RT @darrenrovell: Cardale Jones becomes 1st QB in college FB history to get a ring for every start (Big Ten title, Sugar Bowl win, national title)

this is how you start and end a career! CARDALE JONES DA GAWD

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He is telling the truth too

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

If he comes out, I think he would be drafted somewhere in the first three rounds. The Texans drafted Tom Savage in The 4th round. If a player like Savage can get drafted in the 4th round, then Jones could go somewhere in the first three rounds. Jones is bigger than Savage, he's much more mobile than Savage, and he just won a national championship.

I think Jones should come out, and I think he will go fairly early.

15. Major

Major Member

Someone would draft him, though he certainly wouldn't go early - if nothing else, he doesn't have enough game film to evaluate him properly.

But Matt Cassel got drafted in the 7th round, despite never having been a college starter or playing much at all - he had 34 total pass attempts in 4th years. So it's reasonable to think someone would take a late round flier on Jones.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Jones will suffer a bit because of teams having to account for Elliott, but man he looks like a Cam Newton clone out there.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

They get rings?

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Here is someone's WAG:

Cardale Jones' Case to Declare for the 2015 NFL Draft

“As an athlete, it’s all there. He’s huge. His arm is amazing. It would be the best arm in this year’s draft," Bleacher Report Lead Draft Analyst Matt Miller told me. "He grades great throwing it to every level of the field. Really good anticipation too. That’s what surprises me most; his ability to see the field, anticipate and get it out quickly, so he’s doing a good job there."

Miller projects that, depending on how Jones performs in workouts and interviews, he would likely wind up a second- or third-round pick in the upcoming draft.

While Florida State's Jameis Winston and Oregon's Marcus Mariota appear to be the only surefire first-round signal-callers in 2015, Jones makes for an intriguing-enough prospect that he could ultimately bypass UCLA's Brett Hundley and Baylor's Bryce Petty to become the third quarterback selected this spring.

Asked for an NFL comparison for Jones, Miller pointed to Cam Newton, whom the Carolina Panthers selected first overall in 2011.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

It'd be so funny if Mariota decides to stay for his senior year and Cardale becomes the first QB drafted.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.