1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Canaan sent to The RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Jan 11, 2015.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

hoping shved steps up so we can trade him

2. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Or maybe the styles of play matter here. Shved is a rare playmaking first point guard that the Rockets covet on the bench, while Canaan is a scoring pg that is redundant with Bev, Terry.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

RVG don't have another game until next Friday. rockets have 3 games before then.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

LeBron?

5. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Really bad for his confidence. I've read before that he has some confidence issues, and this definitely doesn't help. McHale must feel very strongly about Shved. Hopefully he's right, but I really enjoyed watching Canaan play. Feel bad for the guy.

6. bmd

bmd Member

My guess is Shved needs playing time with the team. They're sending Canaan down to get some work in while Shved gets some time.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What a dumbass move, I'm not surprised . Let's trade him for an unproven player while we're at it.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

McHale clashes with players that run a legit offense. Lowry

9. fwood_rockets

fwood_rockets Member

Definitely a stretch to say Shved is a pass first PG. The only time he's ever resembled that was the 17 games he played in Phili this year.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

"I would have done things differently in Houston. I really respected Kevin McHale. I wish I would have had an opportunity to play for him longer. The things he was teaching me, well, I didn't understand right away. When you get away from someone, though, see it from the outside looking in, you go back and think, 'Damn, I could've learned some more things from the guy.'"
    - Kyle Lowry

Not to mention Dragic and Harden run a legit offense

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His assist percentage is almost twice Canaan's....he's a lot closer to a "pass first" guard than anyone else we have other than Harden.

12. RCPM

RCPM Member

Sorry, but this is all about Shved, not about Canaan.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

thank you for interjecting logic into the discussion.

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Well Canaan has proven he can shoot 3's consistently and make layups unlike Beverly..but I'm not gonna HARP on that right now based on what already happened today. So Jones is coming back and Sved gonna get some playing time. Only other thing out there is some sorta possible trade for a PG soon. Guess we shall see how this turn out

15. fwood_rockets

fwood_rockets Member

Shved's rookie year he was at 25%. Then it dropped to 15%. Over 17 games on a really bad team and in limited minutes he was at 32%. Those numbers are all over the place and I have no idea how good he actually is. Don't disagree with sending down Canaan, but no one has a clue about Alexey Shved.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have a clue about him overall either, but I think he's shown to be a more competent and more willing passer than Canaan who really is more of a SG in a PG body.

17. Remlap

Remlap Member

As our offense has sputtered at times (from lack of posting Dmo), I was all for bringing in Canaan as a playmaker.
    He can penetrate and shoot from 3.
    But the real downside is that he's like 5' nothing.... small for today's PG position.

If you check out the thread on Schved (lol, the Schved Thread) , he's a playmaker of a different caliber.
    I know they are all highlights, but if you look at what he can do it's pretty impressive. First of all, he's a 6' 6" ball handler.
    If you watch his highlights he has great court vision. Watch how he makes passes all the way across court to find an open man.
    He can also slam at the rim and create mismatches inside by driving to the rim. Like a larger version Dragic.
    The plays he's made are in the form of a true PG.
    Neither Bev, Canaan or Terry seem to make those kinds of passes or plays very often. Usually it's dumping it off to James to do an ISO play.

Sure, Canaan is a local darling of sorts, but I'm all for giving Schved a chance.
    I feel most people are going by emotion here because Canaan has gained some popularity. Let's give Schved some PT, see what we got.
    If he's a dud, we can flip him in a trade. But, if he lights it up, how's that a bad thing?
    Either way we win, but first, we gotta see what we've got.
    McHale has seen him more than any of us so far and must like what he sees.

Remember, he's only a 2nd year player just like Canaan.
    Plenty of upside. If that upside proves itself, we won't have to sacrifice 3 players and a pick for the likes of Dragic.

Hang in there Isaiah. You'll have your day.

In the meantime, I'm a Schved-Head

18. showa13

showa13 Member

I think this is a move to showcase Shved. Let him raise his value so we can attach him in a potential Dragic trade.

19. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

This is ****ing ridiculous! Isiah Cannan is better than any of our PGs when healthy. He was straight blasting before his damn injury.

20. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I'm hoping that this is because of an upcoming trade or an injury or something. If this purely based on talent, then I'm pretty disappointed. Seems like we learned nothing from the Robert Covington ordeal. He's doing great in Philadelphia and is a testament to the failure of our FO in dealing with undrafted D-league talent. Canaan may be another testament to that failure. Shved better be worth it