1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Roy Tarpley dies at 50.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deji McGever, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Such a sad story... It also reminds me of how the pre-Cuban Mavs really struggled as a franchise for a long time.

LOS ANGELES — Former Mavericks’ center Roy Tarpley has died at age 50. Cause of death was not immediately known although when the Mavericks arrived in Los Angeles for their game Saturday against the Clippers, several members of the traveling party had been informed that liver failure was at least partly to blame.

The 6-11 Tarpley was the seventh pick in the 1986 draft by the Mavericks out of Michigan. In his second season, he was the NBA’s sixth man of the year before drugs and controversy shrouded the rest of his six seasons in the league.

According to a medical examiner’s report, Tarpley’s death happened at Texas Arlington Health Memorial Hospital. It is a sad ending to one of the most gifted talents ever to play for the franchise. Tarpley had a rare combination of strength and speed that made him one of the best athletes of his era.

“Our condolences go out to the family of Roy Tarpley,” Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban said via Twitter. “RIP Roy. Mavs fans everywhere will remember you fondly.”

The Mavericks organization also released a statement saying, “The Dallas Mavericks organization is deeply saddened upon hearing the death of former Sixth Man of the Year Roy Tarpley. Our deepest condolences go out to his family. Mavs fans everywhere will remember him fondly.”

Until the Dirk Nowitzki era, Tarpley was part of the Mavericks’ most successful teams, including the 1987-88 team that reached the Western Conference finals.

“If Roy had stayed healthy, he could have been one of the top 50 players ever,” said Brad Davis, the Mavericks’ radio analyst and player-development coach who played with Tarpley. “He could do it all, shoot, score, rebound, pass and defend. We’re all sorry to hear of his passing.”

Tarpley would spend most of his career battling personal problems. He was suspended by the NBA after five games in the 1989-90 season after being arrested for driving while intoxicated and resisting arrest. In 1991, he drew another suspension after a second DWI arrest and, a few months later, had a third violation and was banned from the league for violating the NBA’s drug-use policies.

He returned to the Mavericks briefly in 1994 but then was permanently barred in December, 1995, for violating terms of his aftercare program.

Tarpley’s abilities on the court were never a problem.

In 280 games, he averaged 12.6 points and 10 rebounds. In the 1987-88 season, he averaged 17.9 points and 12.9 rebounds in 17 playoff games before the Mavericks lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the conference finals in seven games.

Tarpley had played for various teams overseas and most recently played for the Michigan Mayhem of the Continental Basketball Association in 2005-06.

Tarpley also filed a lawsuit against the NBA and the Mavericks in 2007, claiming the team violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by refusing to reinstate him. The parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I remember him playing at Michigan. In no way shape or form did I see him becoming so good in the NBA. Just wow!

Too bad his addictions killed everything.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I was living in Dallas at the time and went to a number of Mavs games. When he played, he was beastly. RIP.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, just sad. The guy could have been special. Just couldn't get clean from drug. I remember Don Carter kept trying to salvage Tarpley.

5. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Just goes to show how addictions can take over your life and even take it.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can't even read that. Maybe later.

RIP Roy!!

7. Nook

Nook Member

He died from drinking... Liver failure at 50.

He was a real true addict. He tried to hide it, especially later in life. Supposedly became a very nice man later in life.. Was a functioning alcoholic.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A very sad story indeed. RIP.

9. Remon

Remon Member

One of the best players I've seen in Greece, probably the best American along with Dominique Wilkins and Walter Berry. He could be huge in the NBA without the addictions.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

I remember Tarpley but never got a chance to see him play. Sad story. RIP.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

You have to gave Carter a lot of credit for really doing all he could to help Roy... RIP sir...

T_Man

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I watched this guy give Hakeem fits sometimes. He was a hell of a talent and another one of those "coulda-beens".

13. Oracle

Oracle Member

A very sad story. RIP