1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I had this same question as Corrosion, thanks for your perspective. Even if the target list isn't limited to FA like dragic who are expected to receive a large payday in their next contract, it's hard to see who the rockets would covet as their third start assuming it'd have to a PG or PF first and then maybe a SF last.

The clearest target would be Dragic and PHX has the most reason to move him at the deadline, but reading this article makes me think PHX would have a significant amount of leverage against us since our window to add a 3rd star now is essentially this year.

I really REALLY hope we don't give up Dmo as he's an ideal fit for our front court for the future and he's on a great contract. Given PHX's play of late I'd imagine they'd be going for a front court player that can help them make the playoff push now so our picks a worth less to them unless we can parlay them into trading with a third team to get them a star player.

I wonder if that third team could be DEN for chandler, while helping PHX clear enough cap space to make a run at Monroe. Not sure if we have the assets to grease a deal like that but I don't see many other possibilities out there in terms of targets that fit this rockets team.

Anyone have any thoughts on who PHX might be truly interested in to trade Dragic for?

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I am not any expert like BimaThug, but my information by reading the posts on this board suggests that PHX has three players for one ball, one of the players likely has to go, Dragic is a logic target. Also the PHX owner is cheap, does not want to pay a high salary to Dragic, the Knicks could get Dragic without a trade.

3. basketballholic

The quick and dirty answer is as a superstar. And obviously a superstar on the front line. But the odds of them getting a great superstar player for Dragic...very low.

Just being realistic here:

I've speculated on the inevitable cannibalization of the 3 Nets max salary players who are so-called superstars:

1. Deron Williams
    2. Brooks Lopez
    3. Joe Johnson

Now...Brooklyn has intimated that they would like to get rid of Williams and Lopez and rebuild around Joe Johnson. However that's just not feasible.

First of all the market is so limited on Deron Williams that it might only contain 1 team...Sacramento. I don't know of another team that wants to take on his contract. And his is the worst of the 3 contracts because he has 2 years left after this season.

Secondly, Prokhorov is obviously ready to sell. So, clearing the deck is a definite possibility here if he can find takers for the big 3.

Thirdly, Joe Johnson is 33 years old. He's not a guy you "rebuild" around, especially if the rebuild project is going to take several years..which it is likely to.

The reason why they are intimating they are going to rebuild around Joe Johnson is he's the guy with the greatest trade value and they're simply not willing to move him and have Williams and Lopez still dragging the books. I think they'll trade him and be glad to trade him for expirings and whatever they can get IF they can move out Deron Williams either with him or before him.

So in order of trade value and trade market those three are:
    1. Joe Johnson - largest trade market and value
    2. Brooks Lopez - medium to small trade market and value
    3. Deron Williams - very small trade market and bordering on negative trade value

So, I'm considering two possible scenarios for PHX regarding Joe Johnson or Brooks Lopez.

First of all, PHX could use their cap space to help Sacramento acquire Deron Williams. Brooklyn doesn't want back contracts. And ideally Sacramento wants them to take back Landry, Thompson, and Sessions or Collison. Brooklyn probably wants to take back Derrick Williams (expiring) and ideally would like Sac to find a taker for either Landry or Thompson so they don't have that contract on the books either.

Enter PHX and their cap space. But PHX won't do that just for kicks. They'd have to get something out of the deal as well. Which is either Joe Johnson or possibly Brooks Lopez.

PHX is currently $6,189,519 below the cap (enough to take on Jason Thompson) and if they send out the recently acquired Tony Mitchell they would have over $7 million of cap space available (enough to take on Landry). So they could become the outlet valve to help BRK get Deron Williams to Sacramento with the caveat being they have another deal agreed to that brings in either Joe Johnson or Brooks Lopez and other assets.

So PHX could use Goran/Green as outgoing salary to acquire Lopez. If Goran were routed to a 3rd team (Houston) PHX may be able to to squeeze another asset (future pick) out of the deal while getting Lopez as well.

The other scenario involving Joe Johnson would most likely include Bledsoe being traded out instead of Goran. And the Bledsoe trade options get much more complicated because the trade market for him is greater than it is for Goran because he is already signed.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The reason I framed the question in that way was not so much for expiring on the Rockets end for some other agenda / acquisition , but Dragic's contract possibly expiring is why he could be available. If he didn't have the option to opt out I doubt they would consider trading him this season.

PHX doesn't control him beyond the end of this year & runs the risk of him going elsewhere or asking for more $$ than they are willing to fork over.

In general players facing free agency & restricted free agency that will command a salary greater than their team is willing to pay or can afford due to cap constraints are the type of players that are on the move at the deadline , at least in terms of quality players.

There aren't many quality players who fit the Rockets needs that also fit this contract description.
    Dragic & Reggie Jackson are two who could be on the move for these reasons as OKC will be up against the cap next season even with Kendrick Perkins & Nick Collison coming off the books.

There just doesn't seem to be a very long list of players who could be available & who could help this Rockets team.

1 person likes this.
  5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Good points.

You're right that the list of players (a) who are of a caliber the Rockets are looking for and (b) whose teams feel some anxiety about keeping/losing them in the near-term, is not a long list. Again, we'll just have to see if that list changes/grows as we get closer to February 19.

P.S. Man, that player option seems to be creating all sorts of problems for Phoenix! ;)

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dragic is definitely on the short list.

I don't know how much different it would be if he didn't have that player option as they would be in the same situation without it - at risk of losing their best player for nothing. Unless of course that final year was guaranteed which Morey didn't want to give him anyway.

Who would be the main competition for acquiring him ?!

What other contenders have a need at the point ?!

Cant really see teams outside the playoff picture going after him via trade tho I could see a few entering the picture once he becomes a free agent.

Of those who may make a run at Dragic , what do they have to offer PHX who's biggest need is a quality wing player.

West contenders:

Golden State - No need (Curry & Livingston)
    Portland - No need (Lillard & Steve Blake)
    Memphis - No need (Conley , Beno Udrih & Lee)
    Dallas - No need (Rondo , Devin Harris , Felton & Barea)
    Houston - Big need.
    L.A. Clippers - No need (CP3)
    San Antonio - No need (Parker , Joseph & Mills)
    PHX
    New Orleans - No need (Jrue Holiday)
    OKC - No need (Westbrook)

East contenders:

Atlanta - No need (Jeff Teague)
    Chicago - Interesting Could add Dragic to play with Rose & bump Hinrich to the bench.
    Toronto - No need. (Lowry , Vasquez)
    Washington - No need (Wall & Andre Miller)
    Cleveland - No need (Kyrie Irving)
    Milwaukee - No need (Knight , Bayless & Marshall)
    Brooklyn - This franchise is a hot mess. Cant see PHX dealing with them.
    Miami - This could be an interesting situation , Dragic would fit next to Wade as well as Harden and would be a significant upgrade over Chalmers & Cole.
    Indiana - No need (George Hill & CJ Watson)

Houston , Miami & possibly Chicago. There were rumors of the Lakers having interest but I cant see them acquiring him thru trade.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Indiana is desperate for Dragic. In fact, don't be surprised if they offer their 2015 1st for him. I don't think they can offer the kind of package we can, but they will definitely make a run.

8. basketballholic

Dragic and Rubio are 2 point guards on the Rockets short list.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Probably an upgrade over George Hill & CJ Watson but they have Hill locked up for this and two more seasons @ $8m per.

Doesn't make a lot of sense financially to keep both. Are they any better off long term if they acquire Dragic & jettison Hill ?

You may be right ....

Didn't Rubio just get an extension ?! No reason for Minny to move him when they have him locked up until 2019.

He may be on Morey's short list .... But its going to take a pile of assets to pry him away form Minny as its obvious with the $55m they were willing to pony up that he is in their long term plans.

10. Rox>Mavs

Bima, with the new information of Brewer dropping his PO is it accurate to say that the Rockets could have up to 12.5mm in space if they renounce their rights to Terry, KPap, Brewer and Shved.

I'd imagine they COULD also trade KPap for nothing in return to a team with cap space to create a $5mm TPE they could use later (if they did indeed sign a player with the created cap space) is that correct?

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Incorrect. I answered you in the cyberex thread.

And no, you cannot renounce/waive a player and then magically have him reappear on your team salary to trade for a TPE.

12. Rox>Mavs

No I wasn't saying renounce KPap, I meant couldn't you trade him to a team instead of renouncing him and create a TPE if it's to a team with cap space?

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yes, they can do that...if they DON'T opt to create cap room.

(Spoiler alert: I think they strongly explore doing exactly that.)

You implied that a player would be signed first with cap room. That threw me off, since their cap room would be less than the full MLE if they didn't previously waive K-Pap.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

KPap and TJones are the most vulnerable at this point. Both will probably be moved come the trade deadline. I think Pap would have been safe if he could shoot worth a damn. Combine that with being able to create run the second unit and he would have been more of a keeper. Make that Brewer, KPap, and TJones on the trade block.

15. Rox>Mavs

I don't think they move brewer if KPap and/or Terry's salary is enough for a trade. Brewer allows both harden and ariza to rest more than either KPap or Terry.

16. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Does Rubio really make a lot of sense for us?

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No he is doesn't,despite his passing and defense. He can't finish at the rim, nor can he shoot well from downtown.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Don't come around the GARM too often do you? Ever seen the poster Basketballhollic formly known as Jopatmc? He has an answer for you.

But no... he really doesn't. But don't take my word for it. I'm sure you will hear likewise from the loonies who think he's the future "Greatest PG of his generation" (yes, they actually claimed that) in a generation of PG's that consist of -

-John Wall
    -Kyrie Irving
    -DAMIEN LILLARD
    -STEPH CURRY
    -Mike Conley

etc. etc. etc.

19. joesr

joesr Member

Dmo's and Tjones's Last options were picked up, yes? So they will be URFA after next season???

20. try

try Member

Yes, their options were picked up. But they will be restricted free agents, thus the Rockets can match every offer sheet.