1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Butt Fumble Is Upon Us] Texans plan to hire OL coach Mike Delvin

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SwoLy-D, Jan 9, 2015.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

http://hou.scout.com/story/1500466-report-houston-texans-to-hire-mike-delvin?s=116

I don't trust these fly-by-night blogs and reporters who write junk, but this seems to be right on the money. :eek:

[​IMG]

2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

The line played extremely well down the stretch, wonder what the reasoning was behind this?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Losing 3 QBs to injury? I don't know.

1 person likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Texans offense were a league leader in rushing yards but not yards per carry.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The butt fumble happened in 2012 and this guy didn't take over their OL until 2013. Also, he is not Mark Sanchez nor is he the lineman that Sanchez ran in to.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Somebody said nobody liked the O-Line coach they just fired...

And i'm not sure why the butt fumble in on the o-line coach lol

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I mentioned it in the offeseason thread (and several times throughout the season), but Dunn really isn't that good of a coach. We hired him because we missed out on the guys we wanted (Munchak, Ferentz) and he was simply the best of what was left, which wasn't much. It was kind of like us signing Fitzpatrick. There weren't any real good options, but he was the best option available. And he did OK, but when you have the chance to upgrade, you do it. We just upgraded our OL coach.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Can't believe we can't get a proven OFFENSIVE LINEMAN like... oh, I don't know... Brad Hopkins, Munchak, Matthews... etc., etc.

I'll even throw in an Art Shell... :confused:
    Yeap. All that is true. :eek: Thank you.

Just J-E-T-S! related, is all. Nothing serious.

#8 SwoLy-D, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  9. baubo

baubo Member

From the main board, when I just read butt fumble, I thought we were signing Mark Sanchez. Honestly I did not think you can connect that hilarious footage to anyone else besides him.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

unrelated but i swear those j-e-t-s and e-a-g-l-e-s chants are the dumbest chants ever lol. cool, you guys can spell the team name!

11. Remii

Remii Member

I thought 1 of those 3 quarterbacks hurt himself...???

Anyway, I was listening to Eric Winston the other day and they were saying how important the offensive line coach is because a good offensive line can drive an entire team... I hope this guy is good.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Is this guy going to be coaching or is he the stopgap until the 2nd round pick is ready?

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can’t tell you how excited I am that Mike Devlin is the new offensive line coach for Texans. Huge upgrade w/ very sharp man taking over.</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/553542013715353600">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

the OL guru has spoken!!

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

looking at the wrong places man, the line played great.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Yeah come on man everyone forgot about the buttfumble already and it's totally irrelevant to the new hire.......

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The line was inconsistent.

They absolutely played better toward the end of the year, but they didn't get Fitz much time in the middle of the year .

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I wish we had something better than a first down chant or cheering the RB2's touches because he has a single syllable name.

19. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Our O-line this year way to up and down. It only got better towards the end of the year because we strictly stayed with the ZBS. O'brien stated how he wants to be "multiple" and had tried running both ZBS and Power to give different looks against different defensive fronts. The O-line was failing miserably at doing anything other than ZBS.

Brown, Myers, and Brooks all took steps backwards in their prospective play. Myers no doubt took the largest step backwards, where on quite a number of plays throughout the season he single handily ruined the play because he couldn't push any D-lineman off the line of scrimmage. Or simply was being pushed back into the Pocket/Lane. It also didn't help that Jones was playing left guard, where I think he is weakest.

Dunn couldn't teach technique and scheme. Couldn't get his players to grasp and perform the duties tasked upon them for each weeks game plan. That alone in it self is not acceptable.

The team needed progress, in both individual play, but understanding of what was asked upon them in different schemes. There were plays, were individual O-lineman didn't even know what they were running and would run opposite of the play. Simple mistakes like that are pathetic.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Duane Brown and Chris Myers are among the best at their positions