1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happens when Terrence Jones comes back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A little more than 2 months actually, and it could be another month before he's back on the court. Let's just be happy if he eventually gives us quality bench minutes this season so that he'll have some trade value this time next year.

2. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Terrence starts with smith as his back up, howard starts with DMo as his. Dorsey never steps foot on the court again.

Most likely someone gets traded

3. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

THIS! I hope. I find myself cringing when Smith is on the floor. IMO, he doesn't make good basketball decisions. D MO seems to make better basketball decisions, thus he seems much more efficient that Smoove. Barkley summed it up on TNT, "after 10 years, he is probably not going to get it now"

1 person likes this.
  4. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Chicago and Memphis beg to differ.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Chicago might have better starters at the 4 and 5 but not the depth and Memphis doesn't even have that.

6. saleem

saleem Member

Yep, that is the bottom line.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

Yep. Jones will take whatever minutes that Dorsey was getting, plus a few of Dwight's minutes. Second unit is Canaan, Terry, Brewer, Smith, Jones.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Tjones starts until he gets traded. He is useless to us at thus point. You can't teach height.

9. alethios

alethios Member

He'll work himself back into shape, maybe get some minutes until he's feeling more comfortable and can slowly have his minutes increased. I'd like to see him on the 2nd unit with his speed and play around the basket. But we really should hold on to him as insurance during the playoffs, and I don't Suns being interested in him when they have the Morris twins.

10. delishman

delishman Member

Goes to a third team in a larger trade for Gogi. You keep DMo in the starting lineup. So tough deciding to play him or Smoove but everyone and their grandmother knows TBird ain't going to get those minutes. Tbird can pick up some spot minutes. Rest Dwight a few games and showcase him in the starting lineup before the deadline.

Papa & TBird & Cannan are all on the block (not that I agree with it).

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously he'll start out coming in off the bench for about 20 min a game probably.

Hopefully he can work his way back to the point where he's good enough to start at PF for us by the end of the season. Then I can envision:

Howard/DMo
    Jones/Smith
    Ariza/Brewer
    Harden/Brewer
    Beverley/Terry

It will take awhile for him to get back to speed though and being out so long he might not be able to reclaim that starting PF spot. So I guess we'd end up with

Howard/Smith
    DMo/Jones

as our four man rotation, with KPap being the odd man out. Although I'd like to have one of Howard/DMo on the court at all times.

Some tough decisions for McHale coming.

12. Asian Sensation

13. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

A valuable trading asset in showcasing

14. danoman

danoman Member

Anything can happen but I think Jones comes back, he will be in the rotation allowing our bigs to rest a little more.

15. rockpileindisma

I was really thinking jones was going to take a step up in his jump shooting game this season

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

No way Jones will start when he comes back. He has been out for more than 2 months and even before, in the preseason and earlier in the season, McHale stated that the PF position was "wide open". Frankly, DMo has earned his spot in the starting 5 until proven otherwise. So unless Jones comes back like he never left and is lighting it up on the court, he won't be getting much time. He will probably get garbage minutes at first, possibly replacing Papa in the rotation. If he gets back to #Jonesing, he will probably get around 20 minutes a game. He might get more time if Morey wants to showcase him for a trade.

There are 96 total minutes in the PF and C center. I can see minutes distributed as such.
    C: Howard (33) / Dmo (13) / Smith (2)
    PF: Dmo (9) / Smith (19) / Jones (20)
    It's going to be really tricky finding minutes for everyone. Jones looks like the odd man out though if there are trade talks.

It's just really interesting that in 2 months Jones has went from being our lone hope at the PF position to being arguably the worst of our PFs.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

For my own reasons I hope they keep jones. And keep the starting 5 plus brewer smith terry. If you add dragic or Lawson to that team it would make me very very happy haha

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Well he WAS 43% from downtown to start the year....

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

Love your hypothetical thread. Your life must be dumb

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

No way DMo loses his starting position. Just when the NBA has started to take notice. We need that back to the basket post offense. I'm sure McHale appreciates the hard work that DMo has put into it.

Jones' facing the basket offense is better featured on the 2nd unit with its run and gun style.

Unfortunate that he had that malady just when he was about to break out for us. It set him back probably a whole year of development.