1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bio of Bill Worrell?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Jan 7, 2015.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Can't find a whole lot of info on Bill. I know he went to UH on a Baseball scholarship. When did he first join the Rockets? I know it had to be at least 1980 because he called the '81 NBA Playoffs.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I looked that up not too long ago too.

Couldn't find anything.

Yet KrispyCreme aka froggyfrog has a wiki.

3. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I think this was him:

"Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it."

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Wasn't there a thread where multiple people told stories of Bill Worrell dating their mom and treating them poorly?

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Might be wrong. Thought he started at KPRC out of college and then when HSE formed, he joined up with them. He did some color for the Astros for Paramount 20 and HSE I think. He's the only tv voice of the Rockets I've ever known.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think this is when older folks reminisce about using libraries. Remember encyclopedias and Reader's Guides? Microfiche montages in crime movies?

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He teamed up with Bill Brown in the tv booth for years on Astros broadcasts...but not until after the basketball season was over. He wasn't very good calling baseball games, IMO. IIRC, him leaving the Astros permanently led to Dierker ending up in the booth.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Worrell makes Chuck Norris weep in his pillow.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He was knowledgeable but he talked too much, which doesn't really work for baseball.

Works great for basketball, however, which is why I think he's one of the best in the business.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's a connoisseur of old rock music. Has good hair.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Paramount 20"? Go back a little more and try 20-vision! :eek:

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

think he is a native houstonian and went to Lamar High School. But I could be wrong

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know he did radio for UH football in the 70s because he apparently found out about the deaths of Art Briles' parents/aunt during the game they were traveling to attend.

14. conquistador#11

he is a notorious mother f'er.
    what does that even mean?
    search threads.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

No record of Bill Worrell's early life exists. It's a mystery upon which many have researched, but few have survived to publish their findings. He is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma

#16 DCkid, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Believe this is the only wood craving known to exist chronicling his early days....

[​IMG]

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Doesn't matter to me. The guy is a Houston Hero and Legend. I hope the Rockets win another two back to back before Bill wraps it up! Of course, I'd prefer that he stay on for as long as he can!

19. Progs

Progs Member

I remember sometime back someone on here posted he was a recovering alcoholic which is why he missed most of a season in the 80s I believe.

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

But when did he first start calling Rockets games? Had to be at least '80 but I don't know, I wasn't exactly around then.