1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Believe it or not: Josh Smith asked to get DMoted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 6, 2015.

?

Believe it or not? Did Josh Smith asked to get DMoted?

1. Believe it!

47.8%
  2. Not!

34.3%
  3. I abstain, courteously.

18.0%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

On last night's broadcast, noted impartial sports journalist Bill Worrell stated that Josh Smith was asked by the coaching staff what they could do to make it easier for him here in Houston. According to the true professional Worrell, Smith responded by telling the coaches that he would be happier with the 2nd unit.

So, the question to clutchfans is this...

Do you believe that story to be true? Or was that a planted story?

1 person likes this.
  2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Probably true. He came off the bench vs Memphis, had a great game! Started the next few games, played like trash. Off the bench last night, played well. No pressure on Smoove = Production.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

He's better of the bench and then short/situational stints with the starters depending on how well he is playing

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I might believe it had it come from someone who usually reports on team insider stuff.

Bill travels with the team, but there's fact and then there's opinion and then there's whatever the heck Bill said last night.

"I may be wrong...but I doubt it."

It's a good move either way though.

5. justtxyank

I find it difficult to believe it was true when one of the requirements he allegedly had when he was released was that he wanted to start and there were reports from multiple sauces that Maury promised him a starting gig.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Who reported it? Cuban's lap dog Stien. He was the the first to say such nonsense.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The moment I heard Bill say that, I was thinking about posting that very same Title.

What it shows is why many Coaches do not believe in making quick player mgmt changes. The ideal situation, like with any job, is the management gets buy-in from the employee.

They had a discussion with Josh about role and what they good do to put him in situation that best suit his skills. It shows a great level of player understanding to pull off that meeting whereby Josh suggests moving to the bench, which is likely what mgmt wanted.

Let's not be too quick to judge McHale on player time mgmt in situations like this. The difference between 3-4 days of Josh started to Josh off the bench is minor compared to the chemistry building of getting player buy-in on a role change.

3 people like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't believe he asked to be moved to the bench. Bill and Bull always spin things in a favorable light for the Rockets.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bill *is* an insider. You just said it -- "He flies with the team." He just doesn't post what he hears, because he doesn't do that.

Bill also is a big critique of Josh Smith playing reckless. So, I tend to believe him on this when he says Josh did the right thing.

Bill didn't say that. He said the coaching staff had a meeting with him to discuss how he was fitting in and if there is anything they can do to help him succeed, or put him into position to succeed. Why would you believe he didn't say "come off the bench."

10. justtxyank

Woj, Amick and I believe BBS legend Cyber all said it.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

People can change their minds.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What I do believe is that they did sit down with him (formal or informally) and THEY did come up with the CONCLUSION that he should come off the bench for the time being.

Did Josh Smith go to the coaches and say "put me on the bench coach"... probably not. Is he a big enough dummy to not realize that he wasn't performing like an all time great with the starting unit... probably not.

So whatever... he's not causing a fuss about it, so leave it be. He's obviously still going to get him minutes and maybe even MORE SHOTS in this role so he seems happy enough for now. If the Rockets coaches were able to show that and make a compelling case (equal minutes, more touches), he'd be a little bit of a dummy to not be agreeable at the end of the day.

13. justtxyank

That's a fair point. He had no problem blasting Josh a few times last night for terrible shots.

He IS an impartial sports journalist after all.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I heard Worrell say it. Definitely didn't buy it. PR spin.

If it was true I don't neccisarily think Smith was making some kind of generous sacrifice - maybe he heard through Dwight that the coaches were going to bring it up, maybe Smith felt pressured by teammates and decided to save face.

True or not, I don't really care either way.

15. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

While I love the move, these athletes are ridiculously competitive and I find it hard to believe that he would volunteer to go to the bench. If he did though that would be great and would show how mature he's being.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

If he could ask not to close out games next that would be perfect.

1 person likes this.
  17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I can see this....

Either it's good for Josh, coming off the bench will help him a lot...

He needs time to adjust and this will help him to get his confidence back.

T_Man

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Les should tell him that for every three Josh takes, he's taking $50,000 from his paycheck.

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I don't believe that for one second, though maybe feeling pressured might have some truth it, if they indeed asked Josh. Let's just hope he stays coming off the bench and they will tell him to stop hoisting up threes, unless he's wide open from the corner and gets it from a pass!

20. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I wouldn't take anything Bill says too serious nowadays, his wheels are slowing down.

During the past few games, I have heard him refer to Dwight as Josh, Papa as DMo, and Josh as James. Same thing my grandma does when she calls me by my brother's name, or my sister by my mom's name, and then corrects herself. Bill only catches himself and corrects himself occassionally though.

......its either that, or my suspicion that he has a flask inside that blazer pocket is actually legit.