1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy as color commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsgal, Jan 3, 2015.

1. rocketsgal

rocketsgal Member

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but why is Calvin Murphy doing halftime/postgame instead of color commentating? Clyde Drexler is really just so painful to listen to, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I know Calvin Murphy did color commentating before, and he was so good at it (imo). So why didn't he go back to that?

1 person likes this.
  2. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Cause his daughters put him in a bad spot. Les took the opportunity to make the switch and never look back. Something personal there with les hating on Calvin.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

they should find a way to give us more murph!

4. Know Your Role

Bill is getting up there in age. We all know he wants Calvin next to him announcing. They should do it before Bill retires. Calvin can be annoying but the man knows his basketball. Clyde is really decent when he has time to think about what he's going to say. Murph for Clyde swap would work out perfectly.

5. Know Your Role

EDIT: They should make the change. Instead of they should do it before Bill retires. lol.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Clyde suuuuuucks, like all-time bad suck. Bring back Murph!

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Clyde is contracted to the team (rather than the network like bill, bull, calvin), to be the secondary color guy

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bring back MURPH!!!

9. redglare92

redglare92 Member

I concur. Let's get the band back together.

10. Circa

Circa Member

I agree, Clyde needs to go. It's like he doesn't even care about his job. Does no research and adds nothing insightful. He's pretty terrible night in and night out.

11. rocketsgal

rocketsgal Member

I mean there's only so much of "Take the 3 pointer. That means 3 points" from clyde I can take :confused:

Calvin makes so many on point comments during halftime/postgame that it just saddens me he can't be making them next to Bill in the game. Yeah his suits are hilarious and he's annoying at times but clyde is past annoying

12. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Where I miss Calvin the most is during really tense moments of the game. He'd give the BEST analysis of what the other team would likely do and what the Rockets would need to do to counter it.

Bull does a pretty good job of doing this, but Calvin's knowledge far surpasses Bull.

As for Clyde...some guys just aren't made out for TV. It's like making Mike Tyson do stand-up comedy.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

I think Clyde would be better off as a sideline announcer. Players respect him so they can give him good answers.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin is such a clown, even down to the clown suits he wears. All he needs is a red nose and a butonniere that squirts water.

He'd be a very fine analyst if he weren't intent on making everything about him eating cookies or whatever. But 8 think that's just how he is wired.

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I have a feeling murph would get old real quick if he replaced clyde

16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Do Murph and Worrell play fight a lot? Tonight Murph said "this is why I hate you" lol

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If this were the case, why even let him do the halftime gig?

18. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Maybe Clyde will get the flu for a week and the world can remember how good The Pocket Rocket is behind the mic.

19. Buck Turgidson

Could not agree more.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member