1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How hard can it be to construct a rotation ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 29, 2014.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

A constant rotation is one element of coaching that is often questioned. How is it determined? Do certain players need certain amounts of minutes to be effective ? Can a player be effective and in rhythm if they only play a few minutes a game ? And what is this threshold ?

There are alot of variables that go into deciding the rotation and above i have listed some of the factors. We, as fans, have imperfect information and for that reason usually I give the benefit of the doubt. However, given the last few games , I feel that McHale is making some obvious blunders and isn't finding minutes for guys that really help us win.

First ill lay out the rotation I envision and then explain it.

Bev 25 Canaan 20 Terry 3
    James 32 Terry 10 Brewer 6
    Ariza 30 Brewer 12 Pap 6
    Dmo 20 Smith 18 Pap 10
    Dwight 32 Dmo 10 Smith/Dorsey 4

PG
    Bev is at his best when he is attacking and wreaking havoc, cutting his minutes to 25 allows him to do this and doesnt **** up our plans if he picks up fouls.

Canaan needs to play, he isn't great but he is a bomb shooter and can get hot, also he has good chemistry with the Dmo and Pap already.

Terry picks up a few minutes here to give him a few more

SG

James no explanation needed, we need him 100 % for the playoffs

Terry gets most of his minutes here, shouldnt be a defensive liability against backup 2's

Brewer can pick up a few minutes here and can easily guard opposing 2's using length

SF

Trevor needs his minutes cut but he is still great for us and needs to get 30 a game for sure

Brewer main backup to Ariza gets a healthy 12

Pap needs some minutes, but logjam at PF calls for about 6 minutes he can play at the 3. He is fine here, especially if his shooting is on

PF

Dmo starts and plays most of minutes here

Smith gets some minutes here to try and prove he deserves more time

Pap gets 10 min here

C

Dwight no explanation needed

Dmo also picks up minutes here

Dmo cant start at PF and pick up ALL the backup C min's so dorsey or smith can cover 4 mins a game easily.

I understand in games this never happens, timeouts, fouls, situations call for different players and the minutes distribution changes. However, it sure would be nice to see a general template that was being used vs. the sense that McHale plays guys purely based off feeling and the moment. What is your ideal rotation ? Ill try and respond and actually have a discussion if you want to.

p.s. Linueps with smith starting wont get a response.

2. zyt

zyt Member

would u want alternative rotations if all 3close games rssulted in wins?

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Looks we are playing 9, its the starting 5 plus DMO, Brewer, Jet and Dorsey

I think coach should play Canaan and Kpap and let Dorsey sit. Let Canaan have Bev and Jet's minutes. Let Kpap play some 4 and DMO takes Dorsey's minutes.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Construct a rotation? McHale is playing it by ear as he said. ;)

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Probably, it depends on how the players i am giving more or less minutes to played. While wins are ultimately more important, at this point in the season sometimes how you look playing is more important. We didnt lose these games because of lucky shots made against us . We turned the ball over 45 times in the last two days partially because we are trying to integrate a player in the starting lineup after he has been with the team for all of 4 days.

If we bring smith along slowly im all for him getting a chance to start. But when we rush it , bad things happen.

6. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I'd love to see harden & Ariza's mins cut but let's be real they're going to play more than 32 each.

7. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I'd give harden 35 and Ariza 33

8. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Canaan getting 20 mins. That's some wishful thinking.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yeah i know hahaha ... i think that for a guard who rely's on his shot about 20 min a game is required to keep the player in rhythm. For a vet like terry he can play spot minutes and the shots will fall, but for a young guy like Canaan, he needs minutes to keep his shot on. Thats why i went with 20 instead of, say, 16-18.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Canaans not getting 20

11. zyt

zyt Member

rotation is the usual suspect since fans believe alternatives r better than given losses, it might get worsr too, maybe its the roster with the lack of playmaking

i for 1 think smith with his talent (still) only committed to houston for starter, and the team should do that unless strong evidence suppports its detrimental

idk what happened.to him, 2yrs ago he was gteat and best non all star in the east