1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith: Is he the third man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Is Josh Smith the third man?

1. Yes

132 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

He was the 2nd man tonight.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You could call them 2A and 2B .... Howard is hot and cold offensively depending upon matchups but his impact defensively is a constant for the most part.

I do think they are still one player away .... A point guard.

This team seems to go thru an offensive funk or two each game where they just cant put the ball in the hole for 3-5 minute stretches. They need a point guard to get them in the offense ... PatBev isn't that guy , he's a spaz on defense and a good compliment to Harden as a spot up shooter but he cant initiate the offense & doesn't get in the lane or the FT line much.

They need a creator for that second unit when Harden sits that's the final piece to the puzzle.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He might be more than Morey was hoping for.

Athletic big who rebounds, good handles, can attack the rim, makes plays for others, hits FTs, defend bigs as well as perimeter guys--wow! And it's just his first game.

So we whiff on Bosh, Gasol, Melo, Bosh again, Smith, Dragic--only to have Smith fall into our laps. As he said repeatedly, "it's a blessing."

Christmas miracle of 2014

4. BonziWellsGOAT

Smoove is going with black & white.

Sting disapproves.

5. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

For me, if his mind is right, he's like another Pat Bev. Is Pat a star? no, but he's exactly what we need in the west full of allstar point guards! Same thing with Josh Smith, we need him to match up with LaMarcus A and Blake G on def an well as put some pressure on offense.

Not a star but exactly what we need.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lol sorry. This is such a Lolz post it had to be responded to.

There are about 6 better shooters on the Rockets than Smith.

Harden
    Terry
    Ariza
    Canaan
    Johnson
    Papa
    <br>
    Smoove did a lot of impressive things tonight and I hope he builds upon them within the team concept and not playing me-first. But let's not exaggerate the truth. And I'm not impressed with the 21 shots or taking the ball out of Harden's hands during crunch time at all.

1 person likes this.
  7. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

thnx for comment bro...youre taking my post out of context or i havnet worded it perfectly so no wonder it sounds ridiculous... let me explain what i meant...
    if i am to do the same perhaps i could say you are living in the past or in some ideal world because you ridiculed my stance when you brought yourself an absurd claim .. nick johnson should hev taken those shots instead of jsmoove?

let us analyze those 6 great shooters...

3 of them were not in rotation tonight so we are left only with
    harden ariza and terry

1 Harden is shooting around 40% for the season nuf said...

2 ariza
    i dont know exact percantages but i cring every time ariza wants to shot..hell every time he has the ball in his hands i cringe...hes soooo bad... he was hot shooter first couple of games since then he was hot garbage...i dont care how much he shooted in the past ... these days hes a garbage shooter...

3. terry -- this is the only instance where you perhaps got it right....he is one who deserves to shot more.... but his defense is weak so he cant get to shoot more in the flow of the game...

that said i think canaan, ariza, terry, beverly, harden, papa and dmo should shoot more than jsmoove but only out of well done and executed plays ....

if all is left to random chucking over the hands of defenders they are not better shooters than jsmoove...

i would gladly took half of the jsmooves shots(and half of the shots of other players) and gave it to dmo postups cause this is a play that is as efficient as any of rockets plays...

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Shooting 9 of 21, that's totally fine with me. We know he is not an efficient scorer, shooting well over 40% is fine.

I wouldn't call him the 3d star, I would say we have a near perfect starting 5. All that's missing is a 3pt shot for our PF, a and Smith is at least quite good from the corner. We now have harden, Howard, Smith, Brewer and Moti who can all create shots. We have elite defense all the way through our team, good rebounding from every position, a good mixture of experience and youth. You couldn't construct a much better team than that.

Perhaps the best starting 5 and one of the best benches in the league. This team is a contender!

1 person likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we're going to get Dennis Rodman?????
    [​IMG]

10. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

A few were in and out and he got fouled on a few more.

11. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

For Bima or anyone else: can we go over the cap this summer to sign him for three or four more years? Is he unrestricted at the end of the year?

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I like how we added a third player that other teams' fans and beat writers can hate on as much as Howard and Harden. We are cementing our place as the most hated team in the NBA, which will be fun.

1 person likes this.
  13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You're arguing that Smith is a better shooter than Harden

and you expect to be taken seriously?

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think there will be a lot of disappointed people soon. People making up excuses for Josh Smith shot selection here, hyping up his shooting, talking about his "passing velocity." Ugh.

15. bmd

bmd Member

Is 20 points on 20 shots really inefficient? That's 50%...

16. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on what you expect. If you expect an all star type player every game, then yes you will be disappointed.

17. roidrage

roidrage Member

CHRIS BOSH IS UGLY

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

He can be the #3 if he learns to take fewer shots. The #3 guy shouldn't be launching as many shots as the #1 option. He is the upgrade at PF people have been begging for, but I hope TJ comes back strong so we can showcase him for a true #3 (secondary playmaker).

19. opticon

opticon Member

Part of being the third guy is knowing when to step up when one of the main guys is having a off night. Which Howard was.

Of all the shots he took the only ones I thought were questionable where the threes and he only took 2 the third one was a half court heave and in my mind I don't count that against him.

Josh smith is the ceiling of Terrance Jones.

20. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Anyone else have the same feeling now as right after we got Clyde?