1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Josh Smith has agreed to sign with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bobbythegreat, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Do you like the move for the Rockets to sign Josh Smith at the bi-annual exception ($2.1M)?

1. YES

862 vote(s)
    94.8%
  2. NO

47 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. CrashTheBoards

LMAO, I base my opinions on the last 5 years of NBA basketball. Tonight, he won the game. I'm done.

2. Dankush

Dankush Member

Right I'm sure you are tallying per game shot changes in your head.

3. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

As much as I am a fan of DMo and rather keep him over TJones, when did he get this tag of being a great defensive player?

Maybe his height helps him a ton, but I don't see much that says he's much better than Jones.

4. CrashTheBoards

To get D-Mo 21 shots, we would have 10 turnovers on post-entry passes and 5 shot clock violations (because it takes forever to get him the ball). The reason we went to J-Smoov is because Conley was pressuring Beverley all game when he brought the ball up and we just simply did not have the time to set-up D-Mo for a post up. It was hard to get the ball to Harden because Allen was denying him the ball all game. It looked like on plays where Harden's number was called we ended up settling for Josh Smith driving the ball because Allen is a monster defender who would not let Harden get the ball. I am content with that.

Also, when we tried it he missed it over Tayshaun Prince who is much smaller. I am not saying that is the reason we stopped, but the flow dictates the game more than you think.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think as long as he doesn't take these kinds of shots, except when forced (i.e. late in the shot clock) the Rockets will be a better team because of this deal.

My main concern is that Detroit let him go like he was dragging the team down. There was that rumor about Greg Monroe wanting out, and then suddenly Smith is cut. After being a part of Atlanta's core for so long, can he adjust to just being a "role player"?

6. CrashTheBoards

We don't want to cut down much on D-Mo's minutes because we want him to continue developing. That means Smith or Jones will be stuck playing 10 minute, maybe 15 minutes on most nights.

That is why we are arguing.

7. CrashTheBoards

I actually notice these things. Not sure about you.

8. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

unfortunately rockets dont have a lot shooters better than jsmoove, who do you want to shoot? howard? ariza? Harden can not take all shots and even his shoting sucks...

9. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

why not? almost everyone else on the rockets is taking these kind of bad shots... why do you concentrate just on him ?

10. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I don't see how anyone can be upset with this signing. All josh smith is is a more developed terrence jones. He had great matchups tonight(leuer or carter) and he took advantage of them. Hopefully, dmo can acknowledge that his place now is to run the second unit, and if he does, we will be coming hard at every team 48 minutes a game.

11. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

If Smith puts up anything remotely close to 21/8/3 on 9-21 shooting even with no steals/blocks I will be ecstatic. he did this against Memphis on the road in his FIRST GAME, which is impressive. I think he has gotten a bad rap and imagine yourself in his shoes, going from total hopelessness on a bad team to a legit shot at a championship. If he was a 'headcase' I think it was from having a big heart to win and not knowing how to effectively utilize his talents. I want a guy like that on the squad, with some fire in him.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't get a lot of touches because he wasn't able to put himself in a position to receive the ball. Smith is much more versatile and doesn't have to be less than 10 feet away from the rim with his back to the basket to be effective offensively.

I'd assume that Howard will get more than 4 shots per game usually, Smith got a lot of shots that might have gone to Howard in the first quarter had he had his head in the game, smh.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

earth rattling dunk.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

The anti Smith guys are just trying to protect their craptastic opinions on Smith before he was signed instead of rejoicing in the win which Smith was integral they are are continuing to harp on non issues to obfuscate how completely full of crap they were. You would think the Rockets lost with all their whining and moaning. Rockets just took the lead in the SW division and put all other teams on notice. Most Houston's fans are deliriously happy, all except the ones with agendas.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why are their people who are anti-smith? that was a fantastic debut.

we got him for nothing and he only adds more depth to the team.

16. CrashTheBoards

I dont know, why do fans post choke city every time the other team hits a big shot? Have we lost an overtime game yet this season? I know we are 4-0 on the road.

17. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

Because others don't miss 99/100

18. CrashTheBoards

OH yeah a lot of people thought he was a cancer because they didnt know the difference between a cancer and a chucker.

Smith was not a chucker tonight either. The three he took in that vine there was 5 seconds left and he settled for the look he had. I prefer he take it to the basket, but maybe he thought he was going to dare him to shoot. His defender recovered well and got a hand in his face.

19. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

We are super clutch this season. Especially Jet and Harden. Dwight's FTs have also been on par in crunch time.

20. CrashTheBoards

I agree. The only game we choked away was the lakers and the officiating wasnt all that great, especially for a home game. The warriors, clippers and grizzlies just flat out beat us. What other games did we choke away?