1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Watt win DPOY this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pieman2005, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Did you not read where I said good for Russell that it's 2014...? I got your point and although I don't agree with it, I didn't argue it.

The rest of my post was in reference to your comment about Lynch and my assumptions aren't false. Athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster than they were in the 70's... The way football players are built today was a rarity back then. The average defensive linemen (and offensive lineman) was around 250-260 pounds in the 70's _ the average LB was around 220-230 pounds _ so I don't think Russell would have as much trouble as you think (out run and stiff arm those dudes averaging 12 YPC...Lol)... So yes the players have changed and they can't let players like J.J. do these QB's like the players in the 70's did. The QB's would never survive.

2. i3artow i3aller

Swat meet Watt!
    [​IMG]

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

He isn't. Not this year, and he certainly isn't going forward because he doesn't have an adequate amount sample size to be considered top 5 going forward.

In no order, these are 5 WRs that IMO have been better..

Antonio Brown
    Jordy Nelson
    Julio Jones
    Dez Bryant
    Demaryius Thomas

I don't even think I need to bring up what defenses these guys have seen throughout the season because they all see it on a regular basis regardless of who's good on their team and who isn't.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Beckham has single handedly rejuvenated Eli's career. Manning is having arguably his best season as a pro even though the Giants don't have nearly the weapons they've had in previous years. You're not giving nearly enough credit to what Beckham has done. It's easy to put him to the side bc he's young, but his production per game has been better than any of these guys...plus, the guys you listed all have other weapons on the team that take attention away from them...Beckham is the only real weapon on the Giants.

Antonio Brown is the best one on the list, dude is killing it this year...But Beckham has been just as good as anyone else mentioned. If he hadn't missed the first 4 games of the and taken a couple games to get up to speed, he would have dominated all these guys in numbers across the board. His last 8 games aren't necessarily a small sample size...it wasn't a two or three game fluke, he's been a top receiving threat for over half the season now.

Edit: here is a quote from CNN SI, I'm on iPad so it's hard to efficiently link.

It mentions that he's on the list of top receivers in the NFL and that he's been the most dominant receiver over the second half. It's all true too and a sentiment that most people in the business carry.

#164 rezdawg, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maclin and Sanders are just as deserving as ODB. He'll get his next year, just ask TY Hilton.

6. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I will use my 1,000th post to say:

Hell yes.

1 person likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

What is helping Watt right now is the fact that there are no runaways offensively.

Watt is regarded as the best player in the league by almost everyone.

The Romo support is ridiculous as his OL is the REAL MVP!

Aaron Rodgers is still the front-runner but if he has a third sub par game in a row, I think he gets passed.

Brady and Manning have been OK down the stretch.

Watt should and will win it, if the Texan can hit the 20 sack mark.

He would be the ONLY player in NFL history to have 2 20 sack seasons.

8. rezdawg

I don't think Beckham should be a pro bowler bc of his playing time missed...just saying that he's as good as any receiver playing right now.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Defenses have been rolling their coverage and or double and triple teaming OBJ since his first few games... He's been getting elite WR treatment and unlike Jordy _ OBJ was able to get open against Richard Sherman. Also, OBJ doesn't have the help on offense that those receivers have. Jordy, Dez, and Thomas are hard to double because of the other weapons they have on the field with them.

I'm not debating career track record. Just going by play on the field THIS YEAR and in 11 games OBJ has 1120 receiving yards and 11 TD's... That's top 5 material and mind you he had pretty much no training camp and no pre-season... He's a rookie practically walking in off the street putting up those #'s in the NFL.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

A long shot, but I think Mr. Watt may eek this one out. :)

11. Buck Turgidson

Isn't that a completely different discussion than the DPOY?

I'm fairly certain that JJ could kill any WR in the NFL with his bare hands.

12. rezdawg

Im positive you're aware that conversations withn threads don't always have to do with the thread title.

13. tmacfor35

Jj watt is really getting that MVP hub....

He might win it.....

14. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

To answer the original question, yes and it isn't close.

For the MVP question, he's getting a lot of mention right now and no QB seems to really want it so he may have a shot. If he can get to 20 sacks and we beat JAX, I think there's a chance. Maybe a Lloyd Christmas chance, but a chance.

It would probably guarantee it if we snuck into the last playoff spot, but with the teams we need help from changing to backup QBs, I don't see it happening. That first Colts loss and the dallas game really hurt right now. Even still, the fact that we're 8-7 with our QB situation is a bit of a miracle.

If he doesn't get MVP, the NFL should just change the rules to make it official that defensive players are ineligible for the award. They should just make a QB award, like the Cy Young in MLB. They could even call it the Peyton Manning award. By doing that, other players like WRs, RBs, and defense could actually get some love.

I'm hoping this game plays the way it's lining up. JAX has gien up the most sacks all year and we're at home. JJ will be playing extra tough trying to get 20 in addition to the win. I pray to the Gods (old and the new), he gets it and maybe another defensive score to seal it.

15. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

MVP of the world! What more can he do?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stop. And watch Watt re-write NFL history. <a href="http://t.co/NbfP1qOL6U">http://t.co/NbfP1qOL6U</a></p>&mdash; NFL (@nfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfl/status/549308709386473472">December 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#176 J.R., Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  17. tmacfor35

I think if Rodgers has a stinker tonight.

Watt will win.

I am so EXCITE!

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Whoever did the color commentary for the Texans game today decided to go the route as many other media members ie Peter King. As in, shower JJ with praise and then say ARodgers should be MVP.

The argument in favor of Rodgers is so absurd to me it's ridiculous.
    Tell me wtf is Rodgers doing that no QB has done in the past ten years? What is he doing that Brady, Manning, Brees and even Rodgers himself haven't done in the past ten years?

The argument that if you remove Watt from the Texans, Houston would only lose one or two games while if you remove Rodgers from the Packers they'd lose 6 or 7 is another idiotic one I heard.
    How about what would happen if you replace both players with the second best in their position?
    The Texans imo would lose 3 or 4 games at least w/o Watt on that defensive line. Replace him with whomever is the next best at his position(which is also crazy because WTF is his position? He's a DE/DT/might as well play ILB, CB, Safety if he wanted to) maybe Dumervil? Dumervil would not make up for JJ in all the ways JJ holds things down for the Texans defensively.
    Replace Rodgers with the next best at his position- Brady? Wilson? Romo? Manning?
    How much of a difference would there be? Not much imo.

Mayne **** this ish, I'm pissed off right now. I can see the bull$hit MVP voters are gonna be up to and I'm angry.

Time to root for the Detroit Lions. Let's go Stafford, Megatron, Glover Quin, Suh et al.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watt is guaranteed DPOY. I don't think he get's MVP. If the Texans had made the playoffs maybe I don't think the voters give it to a defensive player on a non-playoff bound team.

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm hoping for a miracle here, but I don't see JJ winning MVP. A Rodgers pick will create controversy, allowing the SAME media MVP voters to double-dip and write a bunch of articles about how Watt got screwed and how unfair the voting is for non-QBs. More controversy = more reads/clicks = more $$$.