1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Smith (33) | Motiejunas (15)
    Howard (33) | Motiejunas (15)

That's a solid 3 big rotation. The staggering of DMo and Howard's minutes should prevent both of them from getting into foul trouble at the same time too.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Of course he would start. C'mon guys.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we can just be thankful that Richard Jefferson isn't Dwight's friend since apparently that's enough to get you a starting job with the Rockets.

6. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

I agree.. This move will kill the this teams chemistry .
    Aside from that, DMO seem to be an elite offensive talent .. This move will hinder his progression

7. AliefRockets713

He'll nah man how you Are you going to give this man a starting job.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He shouldn't get a starting nothing... I like the twin towers setup more than this b**** destroying everything.

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Smith's strengths complement the starters' (strengths) and Motiejunas will have a defined role with more scoring opportunities when he relieves Smith and Howard. This will be a boon to the team's chemistry. A big fat, sexy boon.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This starting lineup has been off to slow starts.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dude get real. I understand quite well what this will mean. Smith will be taking the chunk of the minutes while D-Mo will have his ass glued to the bench aside from maybe 15-20 minutes a game.

I understand your position is to staunchly back any move made by the team whatsoever and that's the angle you are arguing from. Mine usually is too. But this move is just so meh. D-Mo was still the 4th best rim protector in the NBA even when Dwight was out for a month. Unless of course you think Tarik Black was anchoring this team's defense in that span.

To me:

D-Mo+Papa > Smith

That's all it comes down to. Both of those players will effectively be done once we acquire Smith. You guys can hold the position that wont happen, but I disagree. They've already promised him the starting spot. So there goes Papa. And like I said, D-Mo is going to be relegated to 15-20 mins of inconsistent spot relief a night.

We all know how D-Mo looks with shattered confidence and low minutes. This will end well.

Lol no it wont. And he wont have more scoring opportunities considering the fact that the second unit completely ignores his post ups. The only one who consistently goes to him is Harden. Other than that Papa does, but he'll be out of the rotation entirely.

This will be the depth chart:

Bev/Shved
    Harden/Terry
    Ariza/Brewer
    Smith/D-Mo
    Dwight/D-Mo/Dorsey

Dorsey for literally 5 minutes a night as needed. This will surely end well.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh...he already destroyed everything? Interesting take.

13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

That's the definition of earning it. Stepping up and filling in nicely while developing post up game exactly means he earned it, with that being said, I'm in the jsmoove bandwagon

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you knew???

15. mockster

mockster Member

Your naive, the rockets want him for his defense and body in the paint and the ability to defend stretch PFs. Scoring isn't an issue with harden and etc. He's already gonna put up dmo on points just on his average scoring and hopefully he will hold his jumper back a bit.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

DMo earned the starting spot, but this is the price you've gotta pay to play with the big dogs.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The DMo/Howard lineup doesn't seem to be that effective anyway, we have gotten off to horrible starts the last five or six games. Smith is potentially a much better fit next to Howard.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Warm welcome!

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I was referring to the start of the first and third when they are both starting. IMO DMo would be better off coming off the bench in those situations and going straight to post play instead of floating around the 3 point line early on.

LOL all you want but Smith would get the minutes that Black and Dorsey are getting and they are playing the 5.

Why would we do something stupid like playing Smith at the 3? We have that position covered between Ariza/Brewer/Papa. Morey and McHale are smart enough to realize that Smith isn't suited for that position. A majority of his minutes will be at the 4 with Howard and DMo at the 5 im smaller lineups if needed.

We didn't say only. We said boiled down to and I still feel that way. These arguments about him taking minutes from DMo are silly IMO as long as Jones is out. DMo is already down to playing below 30 with Howard back. There are plenty of minutes for Smith.

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

DMo will get the backup 5 minutes, too. Probably a much smaller role for Pap though. But if Terry (and maybe one of Canaan or Johnson) is in a possible Dragic deal, Pap probably grand more SF minutes.