1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. baubo

baubo Member

Aelliot is probably looking at a individual drating instead of a team one like BR. BR drtg is hugely influenced by team. Having a good drtg on a terrible defense is actually much more impressive than similar rating on a good defense.

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You do realize that Bobby responded to my question to you by basically saying that right? The same Bobby that you brought up in your response to me.

3. CertifiedTroll

Lol obviously wants to start infront of that scrub Griffin

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if you look at opponent FG% DMo is still the superior defender, especially near the rim. Their defensive win shares are equal despite it being a compilation stat with Josh Smith having played quite a bit more minutes.

That said, he's a lot better suited to guard the small PF's, he's just inferior against the big guys like LMA, Dirk, and whatnot.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was just one of the potential things that could go wrong. If Smith comes in, sucks, and gets benched and Dwight feels it was unfair, it could cause problems. The main reasons to not want Josh Smith though are that he hasn't been a very good player in a long time and he'll demand a starting job.

6. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Regardless of the "source" being correct or not, I'm tired of the Clippers. They'd be interested in Magic Johnson if they saw him dribbling a basketball..

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

DRPM.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

you do understand that we are not trading D-Mo for Smith? We would have them both. Adding talent is a good thing for the team.

Team defense has a lot to do with defensive ratings. Go take a look at Pau Gasol 's numbers from last season and this season. 108 with a bad LA team and then he goes to a good defensive team in Chicago and his rating is 101. Should Chicago have avoided Gasol because his numbers were bad in LA? Same story for his offense.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Watch out for the Cavs; Varajao likely done for the year w/ a torn achillies.

9. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Latest Josh Smith rumble: Houston, I'm told, is assuring Smith that he'll have a starting spot, which only makes Rockets more of a favorite</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/547630419215388672">December 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Goran isn't going to come cheap. D-Mo will have to be the focal point when it comes to getting Goran. I'm not saying D-Mo is untouchable but with Dwight having health issues, Houston can't afford to lose it's depth at the PF/C position. Getting Smith will help out in that department.

I might be in the minority here but I would rather make a play for Thomas than Goran. I do agree Houston needs someone who can create other than Harden and I feel like Thomas would be the perfect fit. He's instant offense right off the bench. Goran is going to want the max. I can't see paying him the max with Harden and Howard.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ugh, so guys that have earned it get pushed back, sure, it won't bother chemistry a bit.

DD

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Dude was saying nobody said that so I wanted him to be aware that i wasn't making that up.

i can't buy the him sucking argument. If he sucks then he sucks. You bench him or cut him and move on. Howard is a big boy these days and wants to win. Every indication is that he respects managements decisions.

13. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

Thanks for saying it again, Dudewah missed it the first few times.

$2mil/yr. Can be cut easily. No problem there.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If Howard sees the team losing, he's not supporting anyone, lol

15. mazinger

mazinger Member

Dmo did not earn it. Jones is hurt. Anyways, we all know about your player evaluation. Brooks over Lowry? Have you forgotten?

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

DMo coming off the bench when Howard sits will be an added bonus. I cry a little every time he shoots a 3 with Howard in the game. Let him come in for Howard mid way through the first and get down in the post where he belongs.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

D-Mo already comes off the bench when Dwight sits. McHale has been staggering their minutes ever since Dwight came back. Aside from the very beginning of the game and the end. He also plays them both after the midway point of the second quarter if the team is behind. I already mentioned this.

Also, as I've already mentioned. The ideal back-up big for this team would be someone who protects the rim, rebounds, and does not take many shots. What they need is a taller Joey Dorsey. The Rockets' main free agent target should be Jermaine O'Neal. That's who they should save the BAE for. But I understand. Things don't work in a vacuum and that's likely why the team is going after Smith.

I still don't like it.

Lol at Josh Smith playing the 5. Just because Dwight said he used to play the 5 at times in AAU doesn't mean Smith will ever play the 5 for us. Smith will get all his minutes at the 4/3. What slot does Papa play again? Oh yeah the 4/3. Papa will be relegated to the bench if we sign Smith. Especially with the addition of Brewer who is a 3/2.

There's simply not enough minutes to go around. Papa is on the bench once Smith signs.

You realize the guy you responded to said "the only argument" is such and you agreed, right? That hasn't been the only argument by DaDakota or Bobby who I both mentioned in my post.

Once gain, I can't help it if people don't read the actual arguments and then just make troll comments like "Lolz any1 wh0 duzn't agree wit me is teh dumb teeheehee amirite???!!1!one!"

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Smith has been better than anything we have for all 10 years in the league.

D-Mo will get all 15 back up 5 and 4 minutes.

More touches for him.

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Josh Smith clears waivers Wednesday at 5 PM ET and Philadelphia -- only team that has cap space to claim him -- has no plans to claim him</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/547630936582791168">December 24, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. awc713

awc713 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Latest Josh Smith rumble: Houston, I'm told, is assuring Smith that he'll have a starting spot, which only makes Rockets more of a favorite</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/547630419215388672">December 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>