1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Sign J.Smith , trade DMo or TJones, pick for Dragic, add someone else if needed and reasonable.
    pg: Dragic
    sg:Harden
    sf:Ariza
    PF:Smith
    C:Howard.

Rebounding would be outstanding and paint defense.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

athleticism and defense maybe

I haven't watched his game in a while, but I thought he was a pretty good defender back in the day

he can still run the fast break I guess

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I can see us playing him at the center and encourage him to shoot threes.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We don't have that big of a window where we can just keep passing on players that can help so we can keep our "flexibility". This off season is proof that just because there is a bigger plan, doesn't mean it will be fulfilled. Too many factors involved. They have chased him before so its obvious they see something he has that can help our team. And we can get him for the BAE? Where do I sign up?

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

At least he's good at free throws!

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Honestly I'm stunned. Maybe it's because he can be a clean up man? They think the coaches here can do what no coach has done before?

I really don't know.

7. saleem

saleem Member

No thanks to him.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ugh

Smith is such... I don't know.

I don't like this feeling. He can be a good player but he thinks he's a SF for whatever odd reasosn.

Now, add that to how the Rockets play (If you're open, chuck it up.) and you can see this enables Smith to play how no one wants him to play.

9. basketballholic

JET, Kostas, Shved combine for $13.7 million. Brandan Wright and Goran Dragic and Zoran Dragic are $14.2 million. T

We could trade for those 3 players and stay below the luxury tax easily.

1 person likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

General Manager Dwight Howard wants him.

11. Kwame

Kwame Member

This is going to be a great pick up. Since all people want to do is focus on the negatives, let's talk about the positives that Josh Smith brings:

Elite athleticism
    Size
    Rebounding
    Ball handling
    Good passing skills
    Excellent shot blocking
    Strong defense

The Pistons are a joke. None of the players on that team care. This is a no brainer. In a more structured environment, ill-advised shots on offense will be much less of an issue. Not even Maury could screw this up.

Welcome to Houston JSmoove, welcome to Houston!

#351 Kwame, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

His job description is simple...shoot open shots, play defense, crash the glass on offense and defense... He doesnt have to create, and he doesnt have to be the exclusive chucker...

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I mentioned this before but Feigen tweeted something to the effect that if Morey can grab Smith he won't have to get McHale a Xmas gift. So I think it's safe to say McHale wants to coach him.

Will that make a difference in the end? Maybe not but considering the situation Smith is (was) in in Detroit, I think having a coach, players and organization welcome you with open arms will be a massive boost to his morale. I think his pre-Detroit numbers are more indicative of what he will bring to the Rockets. He just turned 29 so he is on the tail-end of his prime but still in his prime for certain so there is not reason to think he can't be an 18/9 guy per 36 minutes. He will also bring another shot blocking presence next to Dwight.

No team will want to touch the paint.

14. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

i agreed

15. basketballholic

Dream on. He's 29.3% from the corners for his career. Face it. Smoove can't shoot a basketball. We would not be getting Smoove to shoot. We'd be getting him to defend, run the floor, and finish. If he goes to popping shots we pop his a... on the bench.

Just to reiterate again. It would be good to run pick-and-roll at the rim for SMoove but absolutely no spot ups and no pick-and-pop action with him either. Smoove cannot shoot a basketball. period.

16. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

When you can sign Smith at just 1.6M/yr, you do it in a heartbeat. At the very least, he instantly becomes your 5th or 6th best player on your team.

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

As soon as I saw that news I was saying "Holy $hit!!" real loud like 3 times and my wife comes in the room all concerned and asked what was wrong? I told her what happened and she looked at me like I was an *******. LOL. That's sports baby! You should be used to it by now!

2 people like this.
  18. bushies

bushies Member

with Howard and Smith behind them, Brewer and Ariza will be getting steals all day with Beverley pressing the 1 to the point of madness.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Agreed 100%.

His job is not to shoot open shots. He's so bad at it that he's better off passing to someone to shoot a contested jumper!

He's not even good in the paint despite his reputation. He can finish at the rim. Other than that he should never take a single shot.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

While I probably come out where you are, this is a guy who has a 14 PER, a 42% true shooting percentage :eek: and isn't as good at the one area of the game he was exceptional at (interior rim protection) as he used to be.

And oh, btw, the Rockets are 2nd in defensive rating and 20th in offensive rating.

Evena 20% chance to get a player down the road who might legitimately be a much bigger impact (be that Dragic or anyone else) might not be worth risking adding Smith.

The converse obviously is our bench is generally bad and the team needs help now. But we haven't even seen the impact of Brewer/Shved yet.

I'm undecided and won't b**** about anything DM does on this one.