1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clowney with Season Ending Injury (microfracture surgery, out 9 months)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tenchi, Dec 4, 2014.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

BTW I repped your post with the article. That was much more informative.

I've had microfracture done. I was pretty certain Clowney was going to end up having microfracture done due to the circumstances surrounding his knee. No his knee will not be the same, but the procedure is a lot more than simply putting "sand over a pothole". He has a very good chance at playing at a high level again in my opinion...especially with the new microfracture techniques.

2. Major

Major Member

Can't be. Bobby told us with absolute certainty that Clowney had no prior knee injuries before this year.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i did not make up the 'sand over a pothole' analogy. A surgeon on twitter said it.

when you had your microfracture, did you have structural damage as well? (torn ligaments & arthritis)

do you think the 9-month rehab estimation is over exaggerated? Did you lose that "quick twitch" burst in your knee after your rehab?

very interesting that you've been through this... I'm sure you can answer a lot of questions.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stephanie Stradley reported reported that this surgery has some newer techniques and the prognosis is good.

But it's still a big surgery.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The specter of what could be the texans 2013 and 2014 drafts is very scary at the moment. They really need Nix and XSF to become factors</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/542541241250893824">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Coopdawg26">@Coopdawg26</a> that's not accurate. The Texans tried to shop the pick. I know of five teams that did not have Clowney #1 on their board.</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/542544145164677120">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I thought it was not cartlidge that regrew, but rather the blood clotted in there and replaced the cartlidge, is that incorrect?

Does it actually REGROW the cartlidge?

DD

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

You are correct:

[​IMG]

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL">@SiriusXMNFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez">@alexmarvez</a> Clowney - study shows those who returned 2 play after microfracture avg 4.6 seasons n 56 games n NFL <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/fantasydoctor?src=hash">#fantasydoctor</a></p>&mdash; Dr. Selene Parekh (@seleneparekhmd) <a href="https://twitter.com/seleneparekhmd/status/542506981731225600">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Texanstalk is speculating Clowney had this form of microfracture:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"The OATS procedure (or osteoarticular cartilage transplantation). In extreme simplistic terms, it is like a counterpart to hair transplantation.

The improvement over the traditional microfracture surgery is that the multiple holes created by the drill are filled with plugs of cartilage that are still attached to underlying bone (taken from a less important little weight-bearing donor site). Because of its lack of blood supply, cartilage grafts have a miserable take percentage and poor track record for joint reconstruction. By actually placing raw bone in direct contact with raw bone, 2 well blood supplied surfaces can grow together, and the piggy backed cartilage remains viable and intact on the joint surface.

The results in some limited studies have shown significant improvement over traditional microfracture surgery."

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Other kind of microfracture he could have had:

"articular cartilage paste grafting:

An articular cartilage paste graft is a procedure where a small amount of the patient’s own bone, stem cells, and cartilage is taken out of the non-weight bearing intercondylar notch of the knee, ground into a paste, and impacted back into an arthritic defect in the joint (as opposed to the technique I mentioned above that uses solid bone/cartilage plugs placed into the arthritic defect). From there, the knee grows replacement tissue, right inside the joint, promoting the healing ability of the patient’s own bone marrow derived stem cells. It is easier and more cost-effective that other techniques requiring cells to be grown in culture."

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Try again with that nonsense.

[​IMG]

Clown's foot landed on the ground flat and he was looking up when it happened. That combined with a football helmet means he had no idea where his foot was going and any dip was likely the sensation of his knee giving out.

The picture says it all. He is not falling in a hole in the field. Flat impact as much as you can get it.

I would say that anyone who is happy about this is a bad person but I don't think people who are pointing out they were right are bad people at all. There is a clear difference between two things. More so since this topic has been debated HEAVILY by you and the rest of us. Also, stop telling people if they are fans. The people who spend their time posting on an internet message board about the team can call themselves fans. Particularly the ones that have been here following the Texans long before you got here.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Bust city. Wasted pick. Wasted opportunity.

I'd like to think McNair would respond to his latest humiliation by bringing in a guy like Morey to run the cap/roster/draft, but that's not his way. As I've said before, great at making a fortune, but horrible as an owner.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> want to evolve as an organization, they need to evaluate medical practices. First Ed Reed, now this...</p>&mdash; Will Grubb (@GrubbReport) <a href="https://twitter.com/GrubbReport/status/542494012452524032">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> arrogance on the field and lack of accountability with the medical staff has caused them multiple embarrassing situations.</p>&mdash; Will Grubb (@GrubbReport) <a href="https://twitter.com/GrubbReport/status/542495030665949185">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Really disappointed it has come to this. The coaching staff depends on the medical part of the organization to make the right calls.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/542494257534083072">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It was during my 3rd knee surgery that I had microfracture.

My first knee surgery was for a torn ACL back when I was 21. They used a part of my patellar tendon as the graft for the ACL.

I had a meniscus tear after that. I had a menisectomy to "clean it up" for surgery number 2.

Surgery number 3 was another torn ACL. They used the hamstring tendon for that ACL graft. Before this surgery they weren't sure if they were going to have to do microfracture. Once the doc got inside the knee he realized I needed the procedure.

My 4th knee surgery was a knee scope to determine the accuracy of a MRI and to "clean up" some frayed cartilage. Everything leading up to that surgery is a whole other story of frustration about dealing with doctors that give terrible opinions and recommending crazy ass surgeries.

If I actually had proper rehab after my 1st ACL reconstruction I probably would have avoided a lot of long term issues. The rehab that you are prescribed and that is paid for by insurance terribly inadequate. Further, none of the doctors along the way really recommended serious and intensive rehab to get my muscles strong and firing properly again. I kind of figured that out on my own along the way.....ask a ton of questions and don't let the doctor walk away until your questions are answered.

I think there is a strong chance Clowney misses 2015 based on my experience, but who knows. I just don't see him making it back in 9 months.

Also, I didn't lose athleticism until a few years after my 3rd surgery. I couldn't push off on that knee like I used to be able to. I got diagnosed with a bone bruise and the MRI showed I had no cartilage there. After opinions from 4 different doctors I had the knee scoped and the doctor actually discovered I had an overgrowth of cartilage meaning. So he smoothed it out and told me not to run any marathons :p and I should be good.

Also, I didn't start rehabbing my knee properly until after that 4th knee surgery. I've also given up on running since I didn't want to irritate things too much or cause any further degeneration of cartilage. Before I started rehabbing my quad properly I would experience a lot of knee pain and swelling. Once I got that muscle working better the knee pain subsided.

All that said...I feel confident that with proper rehabilitation Clowney will be back 100% on that knee due to his age and due to the more advanced microfracture that was performed on him.

Now I'm 34 and I do Brazilian Jiujitsu 4+ times a week and I could probably do more if I could fit it into my schedule. My knee isn't 100%, but it really just isn't that bad for what it's worth. I do have some arthritis behind the knee cap (chondromalacia unrelated to the microfracture) on both knees, but the main thing irritating my knee is a cyst that formed due to the arthritis...similar to what Amare had. I just try to manage that and try not to irritate it. It's mainly my other broken down joints that give me trouble lol.

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I would make a comment about how bad our drafts have gone recently, but there's really no one to blame. Injuries sometimes just happen. Clowney's injury is devastating to everyone inside and outside the Texans who cares about the organization. I am hoping (as we all are) that Clowney makes a full recovery, and we can see how he does on the field. A lot of people think Clowney is soft and a prima donna. I honestly don't know whether he is or not, but the way he deals with a very difficult rehabilitation program will show a lot about his character and dedication to the game.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Mario will be among the top 20 sack leaders in NFL history when his career is done. He was certainly not a miss at 1.1.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f5FM6C8AO8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amazing that he did this on that knee.

19. Remii

Remii Member

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8375/jadeveon-clowney

Could possibly miss 2015

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Clowney Faces Uncertain Future

Twenty-three snaps into the opener, Clowney stepped in a “hole” in the Texans’ playing surface, jamming up his knee. It was later revealed he suffered a torn lateral meniscus and needed a knee scope. Clowney ended up missing the next six weeks before returning to play 32 snaps in Week 8. He then missed the following two weeks and admitted his knee wasn’t right. Clowney tried to push through, playing 91 snaps across Weeks 11 and 12 before getting shut down again and eventually being placed on season-ending injured reserve last week.

On Monday, Clowney underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee. “Microfracture” and “surgery” are the two words athletes never want to hear together. It’s been the equivalent of a death sentence for numerous players in the past, including the NBA’s Greg Oden and Tracy McGrady, among many others. In the NFL, Terrell Davis, Beanie Wells, and Kellen Winslow are just a number of players whose careers either ended or weren’t the same after the operation. Medicine has come a long way since even Winslow’s operation in 2007. While Winslow had a career-year after he went under the knife, he admitted several times his knee was never the same. He flamed out of the league just a few years later. Some recent players who’ve had the operation are Eagles OLB Brandon Graham, Travis Kelce, Anthony Spencer, “the other Steve Smith,” Kenny Phillips, and Jon Beason. Graham was a 22-year-old pass rusher when he had his. Clowney will be 22 in February. Graham needed a solid 20 months to really return to form. Kelce was back in action after 10 months. Spencer was never the same, and is merely a role player for the Cowboys. Spencer, however, was on the wrong side of 30. Smith and Phillips were out of the league shortly after promising starts to their careers.

“It’s brutal surgery,” said injury expert Will Carroll in an article at Bleacher Report earlier this year when discussing Spencer’s comeback. "This is pure Hail Mary. It’s a desperation move, and we’re seeing it less and less because the success rate isn’t great.”

Clowney has been slapped with a nine-month timetable for recovery, but setbacks are common after microfracture, and there’s really no cut-and-dry recovery span for microfracture. He at least has youth on his side, but the chances of Clowney having a long, prosperous career are very slim. Those who return to play following microfracture surgery average 4.6 seasons and 56 games before they’re done. Clowney is just the latest in a long line. We wish him the best in his recovery. But he’ll be a candidate for the reserve/PUP list to start the 2015 season.

link