1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clowney with Season Ending Injury (microfracture surgery, out 9 months)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tenchi, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's almost impossible for this draft class to get worse.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Kind of explains his 3.5 sacks last season...

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ftfy?src=hash">#ftfy</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith">@MichaelDavSmith</a>: We may look back on Jadeveon Clowney some day and say he played his best football for free.</p>&mdash; Bomani Jones (@bomani_jones) <a href="https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/542503676296704001">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Uncle Bob's heart is in the right place but his head certainly isn't. He's the antithesis of Bud Adams whom I consider the very definition of "incompetent owner". However, the football 0rganization he built needs to be totally examined from top to bottom (outside of the coaching staff of course). Those folks responsible for talent evaluation should be shown the door BEFORE Christmas.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly an average NFL fan would draft a better class than the 2014 Texans class. Talk about an absolute complete crushing failure. The really sad point is I remember Smith discussing how important the 2014 class was for Texans and how much work was put into preparing for the draft......

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The majority of pro athletes who have microfracture surgery are never close to the same player they were before the injury -- the only one I can even think of off the top of my head is Colston.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I agree that mcnair is a good man. He does have a good heart and intentions. That said, he's a horrible NFL owner when it comes to decision making. I tip my cap for the hiring of BOB, but to retain Rick Smith is beyond me. McNair is as arrogant as they come. Whether it's the awful turf at reliant, the qb situation, cap killing contracts to injured players, or the GM having sh!tty drafts back2back... McNair will make the change 'a day late, a buck short'. It is what it is, and we are stuck with him.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not the best odds. Just a kick in the dick if you're a Texans fan.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Brennan Williams had this same surgery.... Eeeeek

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree. It's a kick in the balls.

The second kick is having to filter through the relatively recent handful of morons who've driven the Texans forum into the ground. We all know who they are.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think it is fair to say Bobby had it right in the "clowney is a DIVA" thread. Clowney isn't a diva, his knee if toasted. His desire was irrelevant. He tried to play three games on a knee that needs major surgery.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yea.. Hopefully Clutch bans him like BRB.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Found this on BRB:

"50% chance of being able to play on it.

Very much about pain management and tolerance, that will only get worse throughout his career.

This will shorten his career, and given his youth, it’s really devastating.

Loss of quad strength from 6+ months of inactivity will lead to loss of athleticism, and additional injury risk, as your quad is the primary muscle that stabilizes your knee. There will be difficulty rebuilding quad strength due to pain in the knee and pain management.

Pain tolerance and management for rest of his career and life.

That’s the general prognosis following this procedure…"

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Wow! I guess there is NO bright side. If he played his senior year with a knee injury, how did our medical staff miss that in their evaluation?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Microfracture? He has so little cartlidge he needs microfracture?

Ugh - has anyone in the NFL come back from that? I can't recall.

DD

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's a bunch of overdramatic crap. This isn't about pain management at all. There are different exercises you can do to rehab the quad that don't put direct pressure on the knee as well. As long as his rehabilitation goes well and they don't rush him he will be good if there are no other knee issues that weren't fixed during this surgery.

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Great question.

This article puts microfracture for NFL players in perspective

1 person likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Reggie Bush is one. He had his best 3 years after the procedure.

It really just depends how large the lesion was.

After I had my microfracture I actually had an overgrowth of cartilage.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

We know 3 things:

1) He had a torn meniscus
    2) He has torn cartilage
    3) He likely has arthritis

It's a crap shoot whether Clowney will play at a productive level. Microfracture surgery is basically putting "sand over a pothole". His knee will never be the same. Especially when you consider the position he plays & the weight he maintains to play that particular position.

While I am not sure if what I posted is "over dramatic crap", I am simply gathering all the information I can to share it with you guys. We'll see how it plays out. Here's to a full recovery.