1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

These are Bev's numbers. Negatives in the far right column are great. I feel sure that Bev is one of the top five defensive PGs in the league. For reference, Hibbert is putting up -8.7. Phenomenal for a PG.

[​IMG]

Here are Rondo's numbers. He is highly overrated as a defensive PG.

[​IMG]

One defensive stat that does not show up in the numbers is steals. You will have to factor that in.

#15721 jtr, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. basketballholic

Batman,

Is it fair to say that defense at the 1 is more important to Morey than offense at the 1?

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Again, and I'm sorry that my relationship with Morey is such that I can't share any of his opinions, but I would say that it's been a team thing that defense is more important this year than offense in every single way. And of course he loves Bev. Who wouldn't? Apart from opposing PG's I mean. :)

And, though I've not been a McHale as coach fan, I have to give him real props now. I think he should be in the conversation for best coach this year if only for the way the entire team attitude has changed and the intensity of the team's buy-in. I keep seeing quotes from players, while talking of D, saying things like, "we're on a mission." And what he's done with the impossibly depleted roster... A coach's nightmare... I think I've been wrong about him and that a lot of us have. Daryl knows I'm a JVG guy but McHale is impressing the hell out of me right now.

The stuff I feel comfortable sharing from Daryl is stuff like what I wrote about his feelings toward his players as people vs. purely assets. That's not a violation of trust I don't think. Just someone that's grown to know him pretty well and feeling the need to clear up the misconceptions about him in that way. I feel comfortable sharing that because it's not a secret he's told me; it's my own observation of him and his feelings for his players.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

batman have you met or talked to daryl after a tough loss? how does he seem to take them? and after bosh dropped us for miami -- anything you can share with us? thanks again

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I agree completely. IMHO McHale was always a competent head coach with enough rep with the players to bring in Howard, But this 6-2 performance and the elite defense has been mind boggling. I am stunned.

6. Batman Jones

I feel comfortable telling you guys that Daryl takes tough losses as hard or harder than any fan. And of course he was disappointed in the Bosh thing as we all were. He had a perfect plan and he got right to the last minute of executing it before the rug was pulled out. What he did this summer though and how he responded to the bad luck, well, I'd say the ONLY thing that he did wrong in the offseason was to have very bad luck. But yeah he feels this stuff very deeply and he feels responsible any time we lose. Message: he cares so much more than anyone gives him credit for. Even in great wins he thinks mostly about areas in which we can improve. We have the best GM in the league. Search and you'll see that I've felt this way since years before we met.

1 person likes this.
  7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Perhaps the only person that takes Rockets losses harder than Morey is McHale. This is their life. I heard that McHale considered resigning in the off season after his first year.

8. alethios

alethios Member

I hope this thread hits 1000 pages. Keep 'em coming.

9. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Batman,

Any ideas why ariza chose the rockets over the Wizards? The salary was supposedly similar and he blew up in Washington. Curious as to what led him to pick Houston, when we traded him away. Is this an example of players who get traded still having great respect for the Houston FO, or other reasons (like family, lifestyle etc)?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess is Trevor loved the gentlemen's clubs from his first stint. Better yet, this time around, Harden is paying.

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I LOVE it ... preach it bro ... lol ... :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Batman Jones

I don't, no. I expect it was a combo of coming 'home' and playing with H&H.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Although it may only be a small part of the overall equation, but taxes made the salaries pretty different.

Also Harden pollinated him with his beard after his gamewinner last year

#15733 shastarocket, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am very happy that Ariza chose us over the Wizards. I expected him to stay in Washington. I was concerned that his shooting percentage would decrease, but I was cautiously optimistic about his defense.

He really is our unsung hero.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

True that.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Between this team's elite defense and D-Mo's development, I think we have a lot to be happy about as Rockets fans right now.

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Also, when he signed. Had we kept Parsons he would have had to come of the bench initially and fight to be a starter eventually.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes. And The Beard's MVP-level play and leadership. Even, dare I say, KMc (and his staff). Who is disappointing? (How can anyone be disappointed in Cisco???) I mean, whose Rox are we watching because they are giving me some good fan weeks!

19. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Phoenix training staff must do some Mr.Myagi techniques

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I missed Isaih Thomas last night. And Bledsoe much of last year. Where was Len last season? C'mon, help me out here - - who else has missed time in recent years?

Their training staff is apparently good; but they ain't gods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.