1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. kemah

kemah Member

About a month ago I had Dmo as a bust. He was horrible on both sides of the ball and I finally lost my patience for him as it looked like he would never get it. Then he had 4 games in a row where he played well and I thought maybe a fluke but I had noticed that Dmo seemed actually focused and calm. Then he kept bringing it. I hope he keeps bringing it because if he does we are a very high seed. We needed at this particular time for him to step it up and he did. I also didn't expect his defense to have taken this leap as it has. Last night he was a beast against the best in the NBA.

2. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Yeah but your dumbass defend, and make up every excuse known to mankind for every bad game D-Mo has you biased ****tard. So who's the real idiot?

3. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I think Clutchfans need to start insulting D-Mo's game more to keep him motivated to play better basketball. With that being said, this guy still sucks. Joey Dorsey sucks too as well as T Jones. All of these guys are trash. Trade them all for Lance Stephenson, and some draft picks.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

D. Mo is finally becoming the player I've always envisioned that he could become and I am happy about that. I called him D. League Mo a few times a few weeks ago, but he deserved that. I give credit when it is due though. I have been silently impressed with his improvement with Dwight out, but I wanted to see what he was going to do against Gasol and Randolph before I was too effusive in my praise. Although the numbers aren't anything eye popping, he more than held his own against two all star caliber big men and looked every bit as good as them on both sides of the ball.

When we traded Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris, I went on record as saying that we kept the power forwards with the most upside in TJ and D. Mo. I envisioned that they would one day be our new and younger versions of Carl Landry and Luis Scola. Scolandry 2.0. That didn't seem like a possibility with D. Mo floundering and seeming more and more like a bust, but now I'm extremely excited again. Both of these guys are young and have room to grow into their games. Two young guys capable of going out there and getting you a double-double. They are completely different too in regards to strengths and weaknesses and I see that as a good thing. It gives the team flexibility and ability to match up with anybody or even create mismatches. So much potential here at the PF position. It feels good to be able to say that again.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Probably not. Both DMo and TJones will be getting minutes. DMo does his best work in the same space that Dwight occupies, so I expect TJones will continue to start when he comes back. But, there are plenty of minutes to go around for Dwight, DMo and TJones. What I would like to see is Dwight's minutes reduced to about 30 minutes a game when he returns. If we have compenant players to backup Dwight, then let's not wear him out.

6. omgTHEpotential

Any word for timetable of T-Jones / Dwight return?

7. omgTHEpotential

Pipedream would be:

Dwight 32mpg / DMo 16mpg
    T-Jones 32mpg / DMo 16mpg

Dwight 32
    T-Jones 32
    DMo 32

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You forgot one of the most important things. He is cheap. The Rockets currently spend ~$5M on D-Mo, Jones, Bev and Canaan. And when they get healthy they will hold down the PG, PF and backup center positions. Kudos to the entire FO.

I was never down on D-Mo because it takes truly huge men longer to develop in the NBA. Hibbert played like crap for three seasons before he broke out. And D-Mo put on 50 pounds of muscle in 18 months. That has got to wreck havoc on the shooting touch.

9. omgTHEpotential

It actually seems like he trimmed some of that weight down and looks in a pretty darn good shape. No wonder he did pretty poorly in the FIBA tournament. He looked like he was on HGH or something.

10. omgTHEpotential

At some point at that time he mentioned somewhere that he tipped the scales at 270 pounds. He doesn't look 270 at the moment though. Probably around 255-260?

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

This time last season he said that he weighed 258. He looks bigger this season. I would guess he is at least 265. He is pushing around some huge men out there these days.

12. omgTHEpotential

If he is in fact 265-270 his quickness for that size is simply mind-blowing.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The best play of the game last night for Dmo was in the beginning of the rockets run after the first timeout. He flat outran every Memphis player down the floor and got the dunk. All the post moves were sweet but that effort he showed helped get the rockets some momentum back

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Not only does he have quick feet, but he is really really fast. You can see it on his close outs and when he gets out on the break from the center position and throws down an uncontested jam. I have been saying for three years now that he is destined to be a quality NBA center. Yep, since his Prokom days.

15. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

The real Yoda is Carroll Dawson.

16. onreego

onreego Member

Last night was better ball movement and more players trusting in DMo. I hope they keep this level of play up when the others return to the line up.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It seems like D-Mo is money in the bank on the low post. I hope he keeps it up.

18. omgTHEpotential

I think you literally could give DMo 20 post-ups a night and he'd convert at least 50% of those. The times he gets double-teamed, he can make the right pass out of the double-team.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Great job D-Mo.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I would be OK with, when Howard returns, to have that warm fuzzy feeling with one of D-Mo or Howard patrolling the paint. And yes, D-Mo if he was the focus of the offense would put in 20+ points a night. But if you can lock down the paint you only have to score 15 PPG to be considered for the all star game.