1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 12/3/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Oh. Well, that takes some of the wind out of my sails. LOL.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

many said we didn't have a chance against dallas

here's hoping we get the magic back and the grizz have an off game

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

What's the word on D12, Bev and Canaan?

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If there is any chance that the Rockets or James Harden's get some coverage nationally for their play, they will have to win tonight regardless of who suits up. Otherwise, you can prepare for another week of the press ignoring us until we get another crack at Golden State in a week. If we by some miracle manage to win both against Memphis and Golden State over the next week, then we have a legit claim as an elite team. Otherwise, we are just another "also ran" in the national media.

5. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

If the grizzlies handle us at home, that's pretty scary. Yes we will be down 2-3 starters, but playing at home gets the momentum rolling(confidence=more 3s!). Also interested to see if capela gets some significant PT. He doesn't have to do well, but seeing if Mchale has the confidence to throw him in their with the Grizzbigs would be a very positive sign.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

LOL! We have like the worst home court advantage

7. King of 40 Acres

^ this. I want to go to the game but don't want to go if the whole team won't show up.

8. rocketman72

rocketman72 Member

As a NY Met fan, I echo the Tug McGraw quote from their 1973 season..."YA GOTTA BELIEVE". So this I say to you, my brethren, "BELIEVE!" The post worked in the Rockets game with the Mavericks lately, so I think this will work again...

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Wow - talk about a "fair weather fan"....

10. GMNot

GMNot Member

I expect the Rockets to look good in the first 5-10 min. just due to adrenaline. Hm-m-m? I guess they could also look lost for the same reason. But if Terry starts, I doubt it.

Like most here, I realize that against Memphis it's the game in the paint that makes them so good.

I think the game will hinge on fouls on the bigs -- on both sides (and/or turnovers; see below). If the Rockets bigs can force a little of the action inside, their bigs might get in foul trouble. If the Rockets bigs get in foul trouble... LOOKOUT! -- especially if it's D-Mo. I don't think Rockets small-ball will be countered by Memphis. Of course, poor shooting will make for a bad game, too.

It would be a good game for Daniels to get some time and have a Portland type game. He just hasn't made his shots like that in his time on the floor this season. Or at least that's how it seems. I haven't looked at his stats. The usual Rockets 3-point shooters will also have to have their shots going in at a good clip for everything else to align for a possible win.

Even if the Rockets play well and the game is close, Memphis has the players and chemistry to "turn it on" when needed. If it's close at the end, it definitely favors them.

No matter how this turns out it will be a good game to watch for player progress -- especially Black. D-Mo just needs to stay out of foul trouble and be able to force Gasol and/or Randolph to play defense and possibly get some fouls on them. Harden can do the same by favoring drives to the basket over 3-pointers. Given Gasol and Randolph's chemistry on defense, D-Mo might struggle and get frustrated into making mistakes. I hope not. So, for him, it's also a "check" game. If his Hakeem "moves" are sharp, he might just frustrate them a bit. I don't see Capela getting time against the Grizzlies, unless things are going really bad. Or we are up by 20 with 5 minutes to go. :rolleyes: If that's the case he likely won't be going against Gasol or Randolph.

If the Rockets are just a tad off in all parts of their game, it will be a loss. If they play well, they definitely have a chance. A third possibility is that Memphis has an off game. It does happen to the best teams.

As always, turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Don't make them. Another way this game gets out of hand really fast. And PLEASE... finish strong around the basket.

11. tdo

tdo Member

You do realize we were 33-8 at home last year right? That is elite man. I swear some people post the most incorrect things when a simple google search would save them some embarrassment.

12. rocketsmetalspd

Looking back at the game the Grizz beat the Rockets, it was the Grizz bench that outplayed the Rockets. Last game the Grizz played the Kings and the Grizz bench had only 23 pts compare to the 56 pts it had on the Rockets. IF the Grizz bench can only produce the 23 pts it had against the Kings the Rockets should win tonight.

13. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dwight is playing

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Wow. Sweet....

15. HamJam

HamJam Member

While I really hope they are correct and that Dwight is ready to play...don't count on it. That poster said the exact same thing before the Bucks game -- it did not occur. I think they are posting their hope, not a fact.

Again, I hope they are right though.

16. HamJam

HamJam Member

I'm glad we called up Capela for this game. Last time we played the Grizz we ended up having to put Pumpernickel at the 4 at times, and that did not go well. Even if Capela is not completely ready for the NBA, I think having his size out there will be helpful. We can have him and DMo guard Gasol, and have the strong low center of gravity guys (Black and Dorsey) guard ZBo.

I am also really worried about having Terry guarding Conley. This is one of those nights we really miss Beverley. Maybe the Rockets should put Ariza on him and let Terry guard Tony Allen.

All together, I am interested to see if Harden can shake his Tony Allen blues and have a big (much needed) game, and if Donatas can have a big game against much stiffer competition than he has been facing during his recent run of good games.

17. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Hope BEV is back too. I wasn't counting on Tjones, but in full strength i think we would take them without much problem.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

The moment Dwight got here was the moment we really weren't going to get respect from the media. To the point where the media will actively attempt to dismantle us.

A lot of people hate Dwight Howard.
    A lot of people (including myself) mocked him before he got here (when he was on LAL).

Only when we had the chance to acquire him did we have people start to actually give him a little respect.

19. jtr

jtr Member

You were a little short sighted weren't you.

20. count_dough-ku

Cyberx got to him, didn't he?:grin:

On a slightly more serious note, now we can lose by only single digits. Kidding.....I think.