1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Career: Audrey Bruce v. JD Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Real Shady, Nov 23, 2014.

?

Better Career

1. Bruce

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Clowney

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Interesting parallels. Both #1 overall picks. Both athletic freaks and once in a generation talents. Except Bruce finishing with 6 sacks in his rookie season and had 32 sacks in his career.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Clowney hasn't been dominant in 2 years.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm afraid that everything I initially said about Clowney was right. Its everything Bobby said would happen to Mack, happening to Clowney. As soon as a lineman gets their hands on Clowney, its game over. He gets stood straight up. He relies on his quickness too much, and in the NFL, that's taken away. I tried to convince myself otherwise after we drafted him, but it's true.

It's too early to tell if this will change.

4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

It's depressing to already be talking about Clowney as a bust, but it's a valid conversation at this point. Hindsight of course is 20/20 but with no franchise QB to take number 1, Texans would be in better position if they would have traded the pick. Missing on a number 1 overall pick really hurts.

5. conquistador#11

i think in today's world, because of 'social media', indy would have wanted to get rid of peyton after his rookie year.

clowney had some really good plays in the running game today with plays coming at him but the most impressive one was one going in the opposite direction and he caught up and got in the tackle.

:sigh:if they had just double covered Green from the get go. 10 yard cushion, on a one on one. yeah ok.
    and I love how our safeties try to tackle the ball not the player. Upgrade safetie via free agency and DT.

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Yeah I'm missing where he had a bad game. He may not have shown up on the stat sheet but with the way Dalton was getting the ball out no one was going to get to him.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This reminds me that some people thought Mark Anderson would be better than Mario Williams because Mark Anderson had 12 sacks his rookie year and Mario didn't do so well..

Now it would be insane to say that now, Anderson is a journey man DE and Mario Williams is still one of the best DEs in the NFL.

He's a rookie. Never forget that Clowney is just a rookie. Even JJ Watt wasn't blowing through linemen during his first season.

8. Remii

Remii Member

DB's have to give AJ Green Cushing or he'll beat them at the line quick and fly right by them. Our DB's aren't good enough to be trying to jam him and or the front 7 wasn't getting enough pressure on the QB to try to jam him.

And Manning is a quarterback. Clowney is an outside LB (or DE)... Regardless, more is expected of him.

9. 713

713 Member

who is Audrey Bruce?

Khalil Mack is already rated the best OLB in the league from ProFootball. Texans should have stick with their schtick and drafted locker room guys like Mack.

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

no its not.. again with this instant gratification mentality..

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

In his rookie season, Watt had 49 solo tackles, 7 assists on tackles, 5.5 sacks and 4 passes defended. It isn't even a close comparison.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And if he performed that way for the rest of his career he'd just be soild DE,

Point is, you can't take one rookie season and judge a player by it. Some people never seem to understand this though so I'm not going to argue with those that don't understand this fact.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Aundray Bruce was the first overall pick in the 88 draft by the Falcons. He was an athletic freak 6-5, 265 lbs 4.53 40. Never panned out and was occasionally used more as a backup TE than as a pass rusher.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He had 49 solo tackles in his rookie year.

To put that in perspective...Mario Williams has had a really solid career...far better than average...

he's never once recorded 49 solo tackles in a season. Watt did that in his rookie year.

4 passes defended...Mario has matched that only once.

If we were getting that kind of production out of Clowney, the narrative would be entirely different.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are giving people WAY too much credit, they don't let evidence to the contrary get in the way of their narrative. Some have decided that Clowney is a bust (most of them decided that right after the draft) and they'll keep with that narrative no matter what.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My narrative is I'd like to see something sooner rather than later.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there have been nice things so far, just this week he had 2 plays that prevented or delayed TD's. He's not JJ Watt, but there have been a lot of things to like in his 2.5 games so far and no reason to think he won't build on them.

18. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

LOL at this .. was never enamored with the pick but comparing his "career" with anyone is the dumbest thing ever posted

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didn't Bruce kill the Oilers in his debut game?

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's silly!