1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Thanks for the info as always Plow. Hard for me to imagine PHX accepting any offer we make as it wouldn't help them immediately - would need a 3rd team involved which complicates things. This may change by February, if they begin to fall off in the tough WC. But can Houston wait?

For Rondo, almost sounds like Morey/Ainge have an offer on the table but both want to wait for other chips to fall (and maybe Morey really doesn't think Rondo is a great fit and would rather look for a better team fit.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The fact that Plow and cyberx have yet to respond to this makes me think it's going down. They just can't break it yet.

3. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

I agree with you what can the Rockets give up that the Celtics would want? There is still a chance he resigns in Boston. I don't think the Celtics are going to take spare pieces for Rondo that's all.

When it comes to "2 -3 days ago -Ainge has said if Rondo does get dealt, it will ONLY be to Houston." from Plow I'm not buying it. What GM in history has said if we trade our face of the franchise it will only be to one team? If DA gets a better offer you think he's going to say sorry I'm ONLY going to trade with Houston.

Plow what do the Celtics want that Houston has? IMO the Celtics will receive a better offer for Rondo than anything Houston can offer

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Rondo will definitely test the FA waters after this season, meaning a team could be trading for a <1 year rental.

Sacramento seemed like they were the only team willing to give up valuable pieces to take the risk, but that ship has sailed.

I really think Ainge will be hard pressed to find a deal he really likes. I'm willing to bet nothing happens until Rondo forces the issue (or Marcus Smart returns to the court and plays like a ROY)

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

#IBelieve

6. basketballholic

If PHX decides that they cannot or don't want to re-sign Goran then a good PG to replace him and some sort of big man is about as good as they're going to get with Goran being an expiring and about to walk. Goran is most likely going to wind up with a max offer from the Lakers if the Lakers decide they want him over Rondo. And the Knicks are waiting in the wings as well.

We could conceivably flip Bev for a low 2015 first round pick, and flip that pick plus a couple guys for Goran....if PHX decides they don't want to pay max dollars to him. But it's obvious something has to give in PHX sooner or later. Either Goran goes or Bledsoe goes. And I have no idea what Bledsoe's value is. They're not going to pay 3 point guards $40 million of cap space next season. That's insane.

Ainge has 2 choices:
    1. Trade Rondo
    2. Just let the season play out and face the possibility of Rondo walking on him.

I really don't think Ainge wants to risk Rondo walking. So IF Ainge wants to keep Rondo and Rondo really wants to stay like both sides keep posturing that they want THEN they're going to have to agree in principle on a new contract now...and that contract is going to have to include a no-trade clause because Rondo is not going allow Ainge to ship him off to basketball purgatory where he plays out the next 5 seasons with a mediocre roster. Rondo wants to win as a condition of his new contract. So the questions are:

1. Is Ainge willing to give Rondo the max AND a no-trade contract?
    2. Does Rondo trust Ainge to go get him a big man so he can compete for titles in Boston?

I think the odds are they have to trade Rondo. (But you never know.) So peek ahead to what teams would possibly trade for Rondo and what they would be willing to give up for him.

It remains to be seen what unfolds in Minnesota with Rubio. They have stated they want to keep him. But they're headed to the lottery once again. That could all break down midseason and they could look to move Rubio if the price is right.

7. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

So let me get this straight Bev who most here think is a backup on a good team is worth a late first round pick as compared to Rondo who is worth a mid first rounder plus spare parts. Crazy

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Bev is definetly a starter.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How has Rondo looked on defense this year?

10. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

Than why the need an upgrade at PG? Bev is probably a starter on some teams but not on a contender like Houston. IMO it's what separates a contender from a pretender

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rondo makes big bucks, expiring/will be a free agent after this year, coming off injuries, and wants to go to a contender....small market there/not getting a big return....while Pat comes cheap.

#14591 Plowman, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  12. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

Not as good as he usually looks

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bev does not bring all the things that Rondo does....by a longshot.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I would entertain the notion that Morey is not frantically attempting to make a trade to fortify the Rockets lineup. There are many benefits to throwing the young players into the fire and seeing how they develop. Morey has shown a preference for a team composed of stars and young players on their rookie contracts. While I do not understand their faith in Black, the fact that he is on the roster and getting PT leads me to believe there is something there that I am not seeing. Morey and McHale are excellent judges of talent once players get to practice with the team.

Papa may be the backup 3 and the small ball PF of the future. He needs the PT to develop. He has been just about perfect except for his FG%. D-Mo, if he can develop consistency, is the perfect back up C/PF. I feel sure that Canaan, after filling in for Bev, has a long list of things to work on in practice. McHale is one of the best coaches out there developing young talent.

Buyers before the trade deadline pay a huge premium for talent in the NBA. It would not surprise me at all to see Morey wait until February to make a move. Assuming that the Rockets remain relevant in the playoff picture. Giving young talent a trial by fire may have a huge payoff.

PG is a hugely deep position on the Rockets roster. Harden limits the ball handling responsibilities of any PG playing with him. I would be shocked to see any trade address the PG position. Harden without the ball in his hands is half a Harden.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He isn't a starter on most of the good teams in the league. I love Bev but he is best suited as a back up.

16. basketballholic

Worth is a funny word. The more appropriate word is fetch

Bev may fetch a first round pick from a playoff team that has no cap space to sign anybody. Cleveland, for instance, may be willing to toss that Memphis pick to us to get Bev to shore up their perimeter D.

Maybe Milwaukee decides to go for the playoffs and flips that 2017 Clippers pick (not 2015 I realize) for Bev.

Perhaps Charlotte decides they need to make a move and flip a lottery protected pick for Bev who is restricted and they can re-sign this summer.

Toronto? - there's an ideal candidate to give up a first rounder. They've got an extra one. They need another perimeter defender. They're one of the top teams in the East. There's a lot of trade synergy with Toronto...especially if we got back Hayes' expiring contract into the TPE along with a Bev trade.

What could Rondo fetch?? Well......what team is going to give up a lottery pick for Rondo's expiring deal????

The odds are the very best pick Boston can get for Rondo is the Pels possible lottery pick. That may be #4 but is more likely to be #11 to #13. And if we can get back a #1 for Bev from Toronto while combining Bev, Kostas', Terrence, and a couple other salaries with the Pels pick for Rondo....tell me what team is going to offer BOS a better deal.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Well said. Rondo's playoff experience is beyond invaluable and he's a triple double threat every time he sets foot on the floor.

1 person likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm a rondo fan, but no way i give up all those players and assets for his expiring contract

19. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

Boston has plenty of first round picks so getting 13 compared to 20 may not be a big deal. Talk to me about the additional pieces. Jones? Celtics don't need him. What else is in it for the Celtics? I believe the difference in additional pieces added will be greater than the 7 or 8 spots you may gain by getting the Pelicans pick. Picks are great but the Celtics need young guys ready to play today.

Toronto, Charlotte and maybe the Bucks all have better additional pieces to add to the pick for Rondo than the Rockets

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am not a Rondo fan, and the thought of giving up that list of assets makes me nauseous. Harden without the ball in his hands is half a Harden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.