1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Projecting Astros '15 Roster - Advocating FA/Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by travfrancis, Jun 13, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Astros interested in David Robertson

A year ago, a Yankees homegrown All-Star bolted for a lousy American League West team.

Could David Robertson follow the trail blazed by Robinson Cano?
    The Astros have communicated with Robertson’s agent Scott Leventhal to express their interest in the Yankees’ closer, an industry source said.

MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart reported on Nov. 13, on Twitter, that the Astros were “going hard” to get a top closer on the market, and McTaggart identified Robertson, Andrew Miller (most recently of Baltimore) and San Francisco’s Sergio Romo by name, though only Robertson ended the 2014 season as a closer.

Whether the Astros are willing to go hard enough to give Robertson the four-year contract he desires, for roughly $13 million per season, is unclear. What is clear is Houston has expressed a willingness, through its actions this offseason, to elevate its payroll after fielding some bargain-basement squads, and it also desperately needs relief help if it is to climb back into relevance.

Cano, of course, bolted the Yankees in December 2013 to sign a 10-year, $240-million contract with the Mariners, who had finished below .500 from 2010 through 2013. With Cano as their most valuable everyday player, the M’s ended that schneid by going 87-75 in 2014.

The Astros are tied with the Mets for the longest current run of sub-.500 play in Major League Baseball, as both clubs have posted six straight losing seasons. By going 70-92 in 2014, the Astros actually put up their best record since 2014, when they went 76-86. Their relievers tallied a woeful 4.80 ERA, and they converted just 54.39 percent (31-for-57) of their save opportunities, worst in the AL.

Robertson, 29, excelled in his first season as the Yankees’ closer and showed no anxiety about replacing retired icon Mariano Rivera. The right-hander cashed in on 39 of his 44 save chances, and he put up a 3.08 ERA, striking out 96 and walking 23 in 63 games totaling 64 ¹/₃ innings.

On Nov. 10, Robertson turned down the Yankees’ one-year, $15.3 million qualifying offer, thereby requiring another team to give up a draft pick for signing him. Since the Astros finished among the 10 worst teams this past season, their first-round pick is protected and they would therefore sacrifice only their second-round pick for signing a compensation free agent such as Robertson.

The Yankees want to retain several of their own free agents, but their other primary targets — third baseman Chase Headley and right-hander Brandon McCarthy — played with the team for just a few months, after arriving in midseason trades. Robertson, on the other hand, came aboard as a 17th-round draft pick in 2006, made his major league debut with the Yankees in 2008 and worked his way up the bullpen ladder before getting designated as Rivera’s successor.

As much as the Yankees like Robertson both personally and professionally, they have not expressed a willingness to guarantee four years to him. Last year, the Yankees let Cano walk rather than match the Mariners’ offer. The Yankees could be tested again by an unlikely suitor this time.

If Robertson departs, the Yankees likely would increase their engagement with free agents Miller, who is left-handed, and right-hander Luke Gregerson, while hoping stud setup man Dellin Betances could help fill the closer void, as well.
    [/rQUOTEr]

[rquoter]Astros inquire about Justin Upton

Nevertheless, the interest in Upton is described by a person familiar with the talks as significant — the Astros, Rangers and others have inquired — and an executive from another team flatly said, “Justin Upton will be moved.”

...[/rquoter]

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would certainly be on board with adding Upton if the price is right. He's not a star, but he's pretty damn good, and would be an upgrade over Fowler. He would also play LF without issue

But he also strikes out a ton which we could use less of, and he's a FA after this season.

3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'm curious what your definition of a star is. The FA after next season part is concerning, but other than Correa (and maybe Altuve), I'd trade just about any combination of 2-3 players in the Astros system for the next 5 years of Upton's career. Keuchel, Springer and say Rio Ruiz? In a heartbeat.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Then you would be an awful GM

His numbers in Arizona were aided by a very hitter friendly park. Upton typically has an OPS in the low .800's and a WAR that is usually in the 3-4 range. Both are really good numbers, but considering he plays a position with an offensive premium, those are not star numbers.

WAR is not a perfect stat, but its the best we have IMO. A star hitter has to be up over 4 with regularity. FWIW there aren't too many of those guys in the league. Those are the guys you break the bank for, not Upton, although as I said, I would love to have him, but no way in hell would I even consider Springer or Keuchel.

5. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Alright - What would and/or should the Astros offer the Braves to get them to pick our trade proposal over the Rangers or any other team?

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Appel, Fowler and Corporan

But only if Upton signs an extension first

7. The Beard

Would love to see the Astros add Robertson, that would immediately address our biggest weakness

My biggest fear for next year is the rotation. It could be really good, but a huge part of our "success" this year was Keuchel and McHugh, if either or both can't sustain what they did we could take a step back. The way they finished the year gives hope, but I'm ready for the spring to get here to watch those two

If those two prove to be legit long term mid-top rotation guys, a legit closer and full season from Springer and we could easily top 80 wins

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't want Robertson. The cost would be too high. I'd much rather explore signing Andrew Miller or Sergio Romo

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Would love to add Upton

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thinking Oberholtzer and Ruiz are about what would be needed for Upton based on what the Braves got for Heyward.

11. The Beard

I just think the chance of ending up with a bad contract is higher with Romo and Miller. Romo is 31 and coming off a year where he lost the closers role, Miller has been very good but has never closed. Don't get me wrong is rather have Romo or Miller than what we have, but would rather see us spend the money on the best closer available

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Is Robertson the best available closer? He's looking to be the highest paid ever, but last season wasn't close to being on that level.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn't Oberholtzer part of the Braves system before we traded for him?

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I still think them overpaying for a closer is about as wasteful as one can be with payroll dollars... the best modern closers in the history of the game are groomed from within, not acquired.

They certainly have more than enough ample in-house candidates to try out for the position... hell, I wouldn't be opposed if they decide Appel could start out there sorta like Wainwright did (all this was done while Luhnow was still overseeing the farm with the Cards).

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Upton
    Springer
    Fowler

Very nice outfield

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Upton, Marisnick, Springer

If we do add Upton, Fowler will almost certainly be traded.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's way way under the package the Braves got for Heyward. Miller is a former top prospect with TOR upside who's already a solid contributing MOR starter with four years of team control left. The other guy was a high ceiling lottery ticket. Obie is a lefty BOR upside guy who could eat innings but doesn't have nearly the upside/future value of Miller.

The Beard's proposal seems like fair value: Appel, Fowler and a third piece (Corp or a prospect). Appel is the closest player to Miller in future value. That being said that's a huge make you/break you trade which I doubt Luhnow would do.

18. xcrunner51

Indeed. I'm betting Fowler would be in on Upton trade.

Upton, Marisnick, Springer would be a great outfield. Toolsy as hell, great defense, above average speed, above average power (with further upside), and cheap to boot. The only big weakness would be hit tool/OBP between Marisnick and Springer.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Dexter Fowler, CF, Astros — Fowler, who had a decent year with the Astros, is available in a deal, as is catcher Jason Castro. The Astros wouldn’t mind dealing for bullpen help. The switch-hitting Fowler hit .276 with eight homers and 35 RBIs, good for a .375 on-base percentage and .774 OPS. He also had 11 steals and is only 28 years old. His splits were better righthanded, .327 with two homers, 15 RBIs, and an .887 OPS. While lefthanded, he hit .260 with six homers, 20 RBIs, and a .737 OPS.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...CUU3zIPow2mbnXcEOWEJ/story.html?event=event25[/rquoter]

20. xcrunner51

Fowler and Castro are indeed available; I'll be pissed though if we trade them for bullpen pieces like that article is implying.