1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

That radio broadcast is so depressing. But true.

2. Zergling

Zergling Member

Jesus these Morey haters. If Morey hates the midrange game, WHY DID HE GO HARD AFTER MELO AND BOSH

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stretch four!

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Morey has F'ed up big time off late.

1. Hiring McHale and then retaining him after the humiliation of last season. No amoutn of stars will win you anything if you have McHale in charge.

2. Running a gimmick offense which has shown to be easily shut down come playoff time.

3. Chasing that 3rd star instead of getting well rounded role players. You had an outside chance at Lowry but went for Melo. You had guys with solid NBA experience like IT, Kaman, Hawes etc but you chose flexibility.

4. Retaining scrubs like Black and Dorsey instead of proven NBA guys like Adrien.

5. Holding out for a great return on Asik when there were better offers out there.

Off Topic: In retrospect, I think this team would have been better with Asik and a bonafide 4 like Millsap as well as plenty more flexibility than having Howard. In today's league a bonafide 4 makes is so much better than a stud defensive 5 is better than what we have now.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We almost had Bosh AND Howard... so... c'mon.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Where is the information that we almost had Bosh?

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Christ it sounds like TJones could be back Saturday or out for months... which one is it.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's no secret. The Rockets thought Bosh was all but a lock to come here once LeBron signed with the Cavs. But at the last minute, Miami swooped in with a max offer and he resigned with the Heat. I guess Morey and Les assumed Miami would automatically go into rebuilding mode if LeBron left(ironic since Les is so vehemently opposed to tanking), but Pat Riley had other plans.

What bothers me is that by focusing so heavily on Bosh and Melo(who was never coming here), they may have missed out on Lowry. Imagine how much better this team would be right now with him starting alongside Harden.

9. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Our offense is a ****in circus show. And our defense is once again garbage.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I can guarantee you that even with Bosh, we wouldn't have come close to winning.

1. There is only one ball. Howard wants his touches, Harden can't play without the ball, Parsons would want his shots. Bosh would be a spectator on offense.

2. THere would literally be no bench. You need depth to win it all and with Bosh and Parsons, bench would have been full of scrubs.

3. You still have McHale.

I'd have much rather preferred Morey get Lowry and then use whatever assets left and make a run at someone like Millsap.

Oh well too late.

This 3 superstar fantasy needs to end. When you have two of the top 10 players in the world and two of the ebst at their position, what you need is to round off the roster and get a good coach.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds (clear) like he's closer to being out month(s) than returning Saturday.

Bill Worrell said at least a month away.

And Morey today:

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

they went after lowry. lowry was not leaving toronto anyways

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Hill is a decent backup, and Davis is better than Hill. However, any NBA player should be able to score on Boozer at will. If you can't score on Boozer, you're crap.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I know this, but Bosh was playing the game, he is waiting for the max offer from Miami. As soon as he got the offer after James left, then he got what he want. Even Morey said that Bosh never committed to the Rockets during the process. The rockets had a chance, but never almost got Bosh.

Going for Melo is ok, but I still think that we should go Lowry first, that is my strategy from the beginning of the process. Lowry is just a winner, Bosh is soft.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

We went after Lowry, but offer was not there since we were waiting for Melo, and Bosh. If you gave the same money to him as current team gave him at the beginning, Lowry would be ours because Houston has no state tax.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

no lowry let it be known it was never his intention to leave toronto. money wasn't the big deciding factor in his decision

17. hakeemthagreat

I think Morey's biggest flaw is passing up on solid role players, just because they don't fit his mathematical formula as a "Morey type" player. I can imagine someone mentioning to Morey "Hey what about Ed Davis Daryl", and Morey saying something like "Have you seen his per stats lately? Never". I think he passes up WAY too many good players that could actually help us.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Your regurgitated griping is really getting out of control. Dude.... We get it. You are mad at the world.

19. bmd

bmd Member

So you wanna be the Pelicans minus Eric Gordon and add James Harden.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The first player we went after the moment free agency struck was Lowry - He may not wanted to leave Toronto where he is the face of the franchise right now along with DeRozan. But Toronto came back with a bigger offer than Houston - so there was more money and other reason for him to stay. If Toronto offered the same contract I think Lowry would have been really close to leaving Toronto (but may have ultimately stayed).

Getting a backup 2 way big man is key -- i think too much focus was on getting back up bigs who are defensive. Problem with that is that they got two guys who are negatives offensively. DMo has improved on perimeter defense but not as good as Black or Dorsey inside and is wildly inconsistent offensively. We dont need an elite defensive big or an elite offensive big off the bench just someone who is fine at doing both. I mean how many layups did black and Dorsey miss last night? How many passes were just fumbled?

A guy like Okafor would be huge - he wouldnt be expected to play big minutes on a nightly basis. Hopefully his health is back who knows. Adrien would be great right now, but at what point will Morey say that the team is fully "all-in" and throw away flexibility?

quite honestly I know his recent injuries slowed him down a bit but I really REALLY want to bring back this guy:

[​IMG]