1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Corey Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. I was wondering...

2. Nook

Nook Member

You both are right and wrong.

First, there is no getting around the fact he is shooting under 30% from the field. He will not make it if he keeps shooting sub 40%. He cannot create at the NBA level athletically so he must learn to shoot well.

Second, as hard as it is to believe, PapSmear has been a positive for the Rockets. He has shown the ability to defend and play both SF and PF. His defense has been very good. He has also been an exceptional passer. He has a high motor and basketball IQ. He gets ball movement and seldom makes the wrong pass. If he learns to shoot he could become a very important rotation player.

1 person likes this.
  3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

His issue with shooting is that he doesn't put his lower body into it enough and tries to compensate for the longer 3 point line by putting more arm strength into his shot. Once he figures that out his shot will improve.

He also has spacing issues on offense sometime because he gets lost now and then. That, however, should be expected from a rookie transitioning to the NBA.

Overall though those are his only two knocks. He's got all the "intangibles" down very well.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. I watched him play quite a bit in Europe and did not think his game would translate to the NBA. I underestimated his defense being able to translate to the NBA game. I still worry about his shooting long term but he has the attitude and intangibles.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Should have stuck a fork in during the pre-season. Guy was a scrub last year too.

6. hakeemthagreat

Corey Brewer is a nice pickup. But our position of need is a backup PF/C. There is absolutely no way Daryl Morey thinks we're going anywhere w/ Black & Dorsey backing up Dwight the whole season. Jermaine O'Neal, Okafur or even Kenyon Martin would be good for 10-15 minutes. But a move needs to be made immediately

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

one of the truest statements in life when applied to almost any situation.

except this one ;). Look back to what I said, I'm merely arguing he isn't terrible.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Coincidence only.

I only have one account. Don't really see the purpose in having two.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No sense a Brewer trade is on the cusp. Recall: most trades discussed never happen. Rockets will continue to monitor. Prob. others. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/twolves?src=hash">#twolves</a></p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/534495546661036032">November 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. larsv8

I certainly recognize that he is a rookie and we are dealing with a limited sample size. He can and probably will become a better player. That does not change the fact that, atleast on the offense end, he has been terrible thus far from a production stand point.

There is nothing "shameful" about this view, it is objective.

Perhaps I did a disservice to Pap, by not distinguishing between his offensive and defensive contributions. I think overall, yes, he probably has been a positive due to his defensive contributions. Offensively however, he has been very bad. I agree he has a high motor and looks to have a decent basketball IQ, but I would not agree on his passing. He seems to have Lin syndrome, where he tries to make fantastic passes too often which results in lots of turnovers. Can he get better? Sure, its early and he may have the rookie jitters. But again, my commentary was on performance thus far and predictive performance.

1 person likes this.
  11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

a) that's one hell of a coincidence - the verbiage, sentence structure and points were identical within moments of each other.

b) how many games have you watched this season? Pap has shown he can get hot and light up the room. He plays great d and his post passing - again try reading comprehension skills - his post passing skills are elite.

c) what is your definition of a terrible basketball player - I have a damn hard time calling a reserve in his first year that is already playing a significant role on my team and providing all that was outlined - terrible. Even Charles Barkley thinks your analysis is turrible.

12. larsv8

I am done with you because you are acting like a dick head with repeated personal attacks.

13. rogower

rogower Member

Bingo! Corey Brewer is not well liked by advanced stats and is not a likely rotation player for Houston. His salary would later be packaged with Jason Terry's salary along with picks/prospects for a big salary vet who is made available in January/February.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>For now - and I mean right this minute, perhaps second - Cavs are holding tight on trade for Corey Brewer as they seek a big, I'm told.</p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/534911457545420801">November 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Triple word.

Word. Word. Word.

16. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Things are fluid, as always in trade talks, but latest word is Houston more likely than Cleveland as landing spot via trade for Corey Brewer</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/535472978927304705">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not sure how much brewer is going to help us. our wings have played adequately till now, and brewer is a streaky perimeter shooter in any case. that big hole in the paint with jones out is the problem..

18. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Would you guys give up the NOP pick if the Wolves throw in Gorgui Dieng?

19. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Can we throw in DMo for Dieng or something? Pretty please