1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just gonna ignore the monster season that Anthony Davis is having?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Agent94, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Handles

Handles Member

I had the first overall pick in fantasy this year and I'm very happy to say I chose AD. It was him or Steph but I think I made the right choice.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dwight just passed Davis for Rebounding lead, and his 7 block game propelled him to 2.75 and 3rd place.

Watch out AD...the King of the Hill for big men isn't giving up his place just yet.

for the record: I love AD. Big fan. I just can't believe he has a 3.1 block/foul ratio. Twice as good as any other player in history.

#42 heypartner, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. luckyman

luckyman Member

Part of the reason he gets his numbers are the playmaking from his guards. Especially Tyreke. Eric Gordon always shoots him a pocket pass for that mid range jumper he's been nailing. The problem last year was Holiday and Gordon both missed time. Tyreke mainly came off the bench. This year, he is playing mostly with all 3 of them.

Also give credit to his coach. They've kept him away from a post game because he is still too light. He's gain some weight this year, but still not quite enough to bang in the post. So they've made him use his quickness and improve his jumper.

Good coaching and good guard play is helping his monster season this year..

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Benefit of the doubt from someone.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I'm not dissing Dwight. Davis has been that much better so far this year (albiet a small sample so let's see how he keeps it up throughout the year). But what Davis is doing right now Dwight can't even touch, either when he as a Magic or now.

Davis' numbers right now are absolutely HISTORIC. Again, not a knock on Dwight, just how ridiculously historically good DAvis is right now.

6. t_mac1

Uh, have you watched New Orleans?

He literally has zero shooting from his guards, which make the job harder for big men (it helps his rebounding in this case). Tyreke is shooting sub 40% while Gordon is shooting 30%.

If he had a true PG, his offensive numbers would even look scarier b/c you can't stop his athleticism.

The knock on Davis right now is post game, but that takes time. Dwight still has a mediocre post game for a big man and he's peaked. Davis right now relies on the midrange jumper, pick and rolls, put backs, and the fast breaks. The guy still has room to growth.

What NO needs to do is to package 2 of the current 3 guards on the team for a legit PG who can shoot.

7. JazzLakerHater

I don't think anybody is ignoring the season Davis is having. He's been the best player in the league so far this season.

8. t_mac1

By a fairly large margin.

9. bmd

bmd Member

Calm down... he's played 7 games. I'm sure you can find a 7 game span in Dwight's career where he had numbers just as good.

Let's wait till he's played at least half the season to make any kind of judgments.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Jrue Holiday is an above average PG and more than capable of shooting. They need a better shooter at SG or SF. I like Tyreke and his additional playmaking and allround-game, Gordon has to go first. Most horrible contract in the league.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I told y'all last year that Davis was the closest thing in the modern NBA to an heir to the Dream. Not saying he will ever develop Dream's skill level, but he has that kind of NBA body and athleticism, and among today's relatively lacking big men... that's good enough.

12. roksoer

roksoer Member

I think Gordon will get better throughout the season, he'll regain his shooting touch I'm sure

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Davis is a mobile light weight PF. You can't compare the 2 because they don't play on the same terms.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

They are giving him extra blocks at home. For his career so far, he averages 3 blocks at home and 1.8 on the road.

15. theangrycanary

honestly, its because it looked EASY for him. No other way to say it. Its not like he EXPLODES for thirty points and five blocks. Its more like he casually does it. I think that is why everyone is so blown away by him. The eye test says this guy can do way more than what he is doing.

16. bmd

bmd Member

That's because he gets set up for a lot of easy points. So a lot of the time you don't even notice that he's approaching 30 points.

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

One thing I like about Davis is that he plays with a lot of passion and intensity. You can't teach that. Once someone teaches him a few go to offensive moves he's gonna be really scary. :eek:

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Once he fixes his teeth, he'd be the perfect big man.

19. t_mac1

His offense is already better than basically all big men but Cousins/Gasol/and a few others.

He has a very good midrange J. He can finish around the rim. He can take guys off the dribble. That's ridiculous already.

What he needs is now just a post up game where his team can pound the ball to him for 4-5 straight possessions if they must.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ridiculous yes. Surprising, no. We knew he had handles his whole career. He was a PG in HS then had a growth spurt to become a very mobile PF/C