1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where are they now: Robert Swift Edition

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...enade-launcher-drugs--282650761.html?mobile=y

Yikes.

I took a look at Robert Swift's draft class (2004, headed by Dwight) and it 'so amazing how many troubled guys there are among them.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NBA_draft

Robert Swift, Kirk Snyder, Delonte West, JR Smith.

2. delishman

delishman Member

Sergei Lishouk as well!

3. NotChandlerParsons

Would really like to know how you cut heroin with Coca-Cola.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Trying to up your profits eh? Better make sure your street cred is in tact, and your weapons are loaded homie.

...sorry I've been watching too much breaking bad.

As a side note Swift always struck me as a future (or current) methhead when he was in the NBA. Sad story, dude had the world in his hands and pissed it away. He never really looked like he was even trying on the court.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

grenade launcher, did I read that correctly, are we in the middle east

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

F*** you Thunder!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's racist!

Mexico and China have grenade launchers too.

8. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

WTF? Someone was taking GTA4 really seriously.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sad story. Read the whole thing.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The bit about Tim Duncan.

Damn you, Duncan. You're too good.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Was just reading up in him, after someone mentioned him in the Mitch McGary thread. Very sad. Though these athletes look like grown super men, can forget how young they really are coming into the league even after 4 years college, and how impressionable young minds can be to temptations and negative influence

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It'll be interesting to see if he makes a comeback. He's still young enough to do it... And he definitely was up and coming. I'm sure if he keeps going in the right direction someone will take a chance, even if d-league start.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Someone might take a chance, but then we really don't have any clue how good he is. The closest we get is that he dominated what I guess would be a pretty talented rec league outside of Sacramento. That's not a lot of evidence.

He seems like an ok guy, but the story has a lot of woe is me elements to it. Product of the business, came in the league too early, too much money, parents that took advantage, no friends his age, etc., etc.

And I'm not discounting all that, but on the whole, this is a really really lucky kid who has made some really bad choices. He's spent very little time in jail, despite being the enforcer of a drug dealer for a while. And the article makes absolutely no mention of him either (i) trying to establish a relationship with his son (which might be a good thing, but interesting that it isn't even broached), or (ii) him trying to get a job of any kind (which, despite a criminal/drug record, he could potentially do) to actually pay for something on his own, instead of continue to mooch on others endlessly.

As far as I can tell, Swift hasn't actually worked a job in years and years.

1 person likes this.
  16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Wasn't Robert the guy who lived in his forclosed mansion?

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Agree with you 100%, honestly on some of the article with the whole "woe is me" writing, I half expected it to end with he relapsed or something. I mean now that he's been at the bottom and all the trouble he was in (and lucky to be alive and slapped on the wrist), the article makes it sound like money and lifestyle is most important (he even references initially being selfish if he got back to making it, I mean I know it was about his parents and others taking advantage, but what about his kid???). I also agree that he really should be taking the time to show he can hold a job and works to repair his family and actually have a relationship with his son, not moving away. A relationship built without money is a lot better than using money to fix his/their wrongs (if he makes it).

Fortunately/unfortunately an NBA team won't care as long as he's clean and has decent reputation now (and can play at more than a rec league,haha, playing some older guy in a league doesn't = NBA, just like you said ). He really could and should have used this article for more than detailing that he's having his sister foot the bill for the hotel he's staying at so he can ball.

I mean that last part right there about job/lifestyle currently wouldn't work well in a real world interview... And unless he's playing at that next level it's going to be a long journey maturing.

At some interview *

*Boss; "so Rob, tell me what you're currently doing and why we should hire you"

Rob: "uh... I sleep couch to couch, unless someone pays for me to have a hotel room. And I haven't had a job I can speak about since the nba... "

.... Hopefully that bball career pans out and he has someone setup an Allen Iverson type yearly trust/payout... going from zero to hero will almost certainly be a very hard challenge.

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Exactly what I was going to post. That part completely amazes me.

19. BackdoorHarden

What a horrible draft that was.

Dwight Howard is the only HOF from that draft. HORRIBLE DRAFT