1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Imagine how good we would be if Morey had not botched the offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 13, 2014.

1. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Right now we are 7-1 and arguably are playing the best basketball and have gotten off to the best start in the NBA. This with injuries to multiple starters.

However, Morey's disastrous offseason leaves me thinking about what could have been, and realistically any one of the many armchair GMs on Clutchfans could have done a better job.

It all starts with the Parsons debacle. Yes, Parsons is nothing more than a roleplayer as he is proving in Dallas, but Morey's treatment of Parsons is one of the worst asset mismanagements in NBA history. I would like to remind you all that we were in trade talks many times last year to upgrade the PF or PG positions, but they all fizzled because Morey considered Parsons untouchable with his additional year of a dirt cheap contract. Yet in a boneheaded move, Morey turned around and destroyed that asset by declining the dirt cheap year with no real upside in sight.

No real upside? But you might protest that Morey's goal was to sign Melo or Bosh, and then resign Parsons over the cap as the supposed "upside." However, even if he had pulled that off, it was the suboptimal option, and thus not an upside.

Melo was not a good fit, and him plus minimum players to fill the roster would not have been a good team. Bosh would have been better, but still suboptimal, and he withers playing with other stars as shown in Miami.

Instead, the no-brainer (passed up by the brainless Morey) was to pick up the Parsons option. Sign Ariza and use Parsons (on his dirt cheap contract) off the bench where he would have been one of the NBA's best 6th men, or possibly trade him to upgrade PF. Sign Kyle Lowry, who actually wanted to come here on an affordable contract and was one of the best value signings of the offseason.

We would have the same team we do now, plus Parsons and Lowry who are above average starters. Even if Morey could have signed Bosh or Melo, this would have still been the superior option. This wasn't a case of Morey taking a calculated risk and losing out based on factors outside his control. Instead he misevaluated the situation and passed up the flat out best option, which was completely achievable and risk free.

How many GM's go into a season with 3 legit starting quality NBA players, when they could have easily had 5 quality starters if not for their egregious blunders, and still keep their jobs? Morey may well have singlehandedly cost us a championship this year.

2. haydenfisher342

3. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

If you don't want to participate in a polite and cordial exchange of ideas, please vacate my thread. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you.

4. haydenfisher342

yuck fou please?

2 people like this.
  5. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Educate yourself: http://rockets.clutchfans.net/7680/...rd-agent-agreement-chandler-parsons-contract/

1 person likes this.
  6. AFS

AFS Member

So the no-brainer would be to renege on his agreement with Dan Fegan and destroy that (already strained) relationship?

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Good for you. Hyper-hyperbole is a skill that is difficult to master.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

5 star thread. Will bookmark for later viewing.

9. BAM

BAM Member

you talked to lowry personally and he said he wanted to come here?

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So which account did you sign out of to log in to this one?

1 person likes this.
  11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Lin and Parsons were addition by subtraction. It is hard to imagine a better Rockets team right now than what we have. No harm, no foul on Morey's part.

12. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Things happen for a reason. Bottom line: we have a great GM who took a risk (just as he did to acquire Harden AND Howard) in the offseason and failed to catch the big fish. To salvage the offseason, he nabs a very adequate SF replacement in Ariza and a wily veteran in Terry. Not to mention two talented rookies (Papanikalaou and Black) who are making solid contributions off the bench.

Stop living in the past and focus on the present/future and how our team is sitting pretty at 7-1 right now. In Morey we trust.

13. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Needs more Bar Graphs

1 person likes this.
  14. ribbit

ribbit Member

You're right about this. We're at 7-1 instead of 8-0. Stupid Murray!

And what SuperS32 posted.

1 person likes this.
  15. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

Agree completely on the assessment of Lin and Parsons, but my only beef with Morey at the moment is the bench options at the 4 and 5 spot. Tarik Black is going to get destroyed by Lopez, Jordan, Splitter, Bogut, Perkins/Ibaka etc etc. ...and forget about Dorsey he is 2 mil of wasted cap space as far as I am seeing/am concerned. Black is a nice hustle guy and actually if he had a jump shot might be a nice luxury at the 4, but as a 5 he is in way over his head at that spot should Howard get injured (god forbid) or needed extended time out of a specific game. If Dmo wasn't as soft as he typically is I wouldn't be worried about the 4 and 5 spot, but he is and I am as a result...

When we start playing teams like the Clips, Blazers, and Spurs (at full strength) I really am concerned about that 4 spot. Morey needs to do what ever he can to upgrade those two areas and if he can do that w/o giving away the farm to get those pieces, and Harden and howard stay relatively healthy all season, we could easily be a top 3 seed w/o much effort, and have a serious opportunity to get to the finals. If he can't upgrade at those two positions then I am skeptical we advance beyond round 1 again despite playing fantastic team defense thus far...

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1. Ariza would not have come here if Parsons was here. Neither would want to come off the bench.

2. Would Lowry have made the Rockets a championship team? Maybe. But Bosh definitely would have.

3. We still have flexibility to go after other players. We wouldn't under your scenario where we have too many above average starters eating capspace and fighting for minutes.

17. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

I agree completely and just wanted to thank you for adding your excellent post to my thread. This is where Parsons could have been huge, either as an asset to upgrade the 4 without losing a starter, or as a stretch 4 if we roided him up.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You win with stars, not with a bunch of above average role players.

Harden and Howard are proving that. With the loss of Asik, Parsons, and Lin, they keep on rolling.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Affirmation that someone on clutchfans can always find a way to b**** about something.

One of the best starts in NBA history in various statistical categories all while missing multiple starters in multiple games to go with a very slow start shooting by our best offensive player and it's not enough...

The only thing this team is missing is a reliable backup big and there is nothing that is precluding us from addressing that need at some point in the season.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Are you one of those Houston residents who cannot watch the games? D-Mo is one of the top 30 defensive players in the NBA. He never misses a rotation and closes out on shooters as well as any seven footer in the league. Today's D-Mo is not a 220 pound weakling. He is a BIG man, and holds his own down low. Other than that I agree with your assessment.

Here is the SportsVU defensive data on D-Mo. Would you find me a better defender in the NBA than D-Mo? I have searched and have not stumbled on one.

[​IMG]

#20 jtr, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014